Spyder Garage

Default Any options to get a USB Outlet For Passenger?

Does anyone know of a good option to allow the passenger to have a USB outlet available while riding? I'd like for my wife to be able to charge her phone while also using the phone during a ride. I don't want to have to put the phone in the trunk where she can't access it. This would be on a 2021 RTL.

Also I'm going to drop a second unrelated question in this post! Somewhere I saw a ram ball that sat beside the passenger seat and actually fastened to one of the bolts underneath the seat, but I cannot find it now and did not bookmark it. I think it was on one of the vendors website that advertises here. Anyone know which mount I'm I talking about and where to find it? I would be using it to mount a drink cup holder, but I do not like the ones that clamp onto the passengers handgrips at an odd angle.

Spyder Garage

Just the other day I found the customer accessorie circuit under the passenger seat. It’s hot with the ignition on. F3s. Anne next to that is a round blanked off hole I was able to put a cigarette lighter style plug there and a2 port usb plug.
    Another option would be to wire a battery tender USB plug there. Either way there’s12 colts under the seat

Spyder Garage

Why not just install a usb outlet for her onto one of the rear handlebar mounts or either just have the usb cord rolled up under the passenger seat for easy access before starting the trip. Power is already at the connection between the trunk and the wire harness, it's just a matter of finding the correct wire. Another alterative is pulling power from the gps connection on the right front side of the spyder as it is switched also. You could run constant power to it from the battery but it would need to be fused, personally I would want it switched myself.

You could also just drill a hole into the trunk and install a rubber grommet for a long usb wire. You would want this under the trunk and make sure to seal it back up real good just to help keep moisture out of the trunk area.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I ran a cord (long) from the trunk power supply and threaded it through the hinge area behind the passenger backrest (take the backrest off to do it 2 screws) it comes out at the bottom. When my wife's not riding with me I just tuck it underneath the back of the back rest or if you want it out of sight under the seat.

Spyder Garage

How about this?

2014 RTL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I'll have to check on that, I was under the impression the customer accessory access point on the RT is on the front right side under the side panel. I'll pull the passenger seat and see what I find. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
    Just the other day I found the customer accessorie circuit under the passenger seat. It’s hot with the ignition on. F3s. Anne next to that is a round blanked off hole I was able to put a cigarette lighter style plug there and a2 port usb plug.
    Another option would be to wire a battery tender USB plug there. Either way there’s12 colts under the seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Why not just install a usb outlet for her onto one of the rear handlebar mounts
    Do they make a USB outlet designed to mount to the rear grip?

either just have the usb cord rolled up under the passenger seat for easy access before starting the trip. Power is already at the connection between the trunk and the wire harness, it's just a matter of finding the correct wire.
    This is likely what I'll end up doing, just didn't know if there was a more elegant solution.

could also just drill a hole into the trunk and install a rubber grommet for a long usb wire. You would want this under the trunk and make sure to seal it back up real good just to help keep moisture out of the trunk area.
    Just can't bring myself to drill a hole in the trunk yet! Maybe after the new wears off!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    I ran a cord (long) from the trunk power supply and threaded it through the hinge area behind the passenger backrest (take the backrest off to do it 2 screws) it comes out at the bottom. When my wife's not riding with me I just tuck it underneath the back of the back rest or if you want it out of sight under the seat.
    This sounds doable. I'll have to investigate routing through the hinge. Thanks for the tip, just the info I was hoping for.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    How about this?

2014 RTL
    Even tho I can't bring myself to drill a hole in the water proof/resistant trunk I can see drilling a hole in the flat space just behind the passenger radio controls, but would need to see if there is enough space for the body of the usb charger underneath.

Spyder Garage

Found the ram ball mount I was looking for, it was at slingmods site.

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...tras?vehicle=1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Do they make a USB outlet designed to mount to the rear grip?

I saw on here somewhere where someone had used one of the handlebar mounts on the rear just for this same purpose. Not sure which post it was right off hand.

This is likely what I'll end up doing, just didn't know if there was a more elegant solution.

The only time the cord would be exposed is when the units in use. Otherwise it will be hid under the seat. I also like the idea about bringing the wire out next to the hinge of the trunk. You might have to make just a small notch for the wire to pass through.

Just can't bring myself to drill a hole in the trunk yet! Maybe after the new wears off!

I couldn't either. I guess you're thinking of using the ball mount to mount a phone holder for her?
    Good luck and post back what you decided.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Wonder if arm rests would interfere?

Spyder Garage

Good luck and post back what you decided.
    The ball Mount will actually be used primarily as a cup holder. I think her phone will be in her hands 90% of the time!

I’ll update this thread when I decide how to get usb power to her seat. I think it may be a two step process, first get a charger cord to her via the trunk or under the seat. Second and later install an actual usb outlet somewhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Wonder if arm rests would interfere?
    I wonder that too. I really want to get a set of passenger arm rest, but I don’t care for the OEM rest as 5hey don’t swing out of the way to allow for mounting/dismounting and I don’t think anyone offers an aftermarket solution yet for 2020+.

Spyder Garage

If you'll notice in the picture where I carved the notch out with a Dremel tool, it is only about a quarter inch down from the top of the inner flange. The outer flange comes almost all the way down to the bottom of the inner one. For any water to work it's way up to that notch and past the rubber gasket in the lid, you would need to be blasted by a high pressure fire hose. I've been caught in a few downpours since doing this and have yet to take on any water in the trunk. It really is the simplest solution for your dilemma. No searching for the correct wire, no splicing into OEM wiring, etc. Just plug & play.

Spyder Garage

If you'll notice in the picture where I carved the notch out with a Dremel tool, it is only about a quarter inch down from the top of the inner flange. The outer flange comes almost all the way down to the bottom of the inner one. For any water to work it's way up to that notch and past the rubber gasket in the lid, you would need to be blasted by a high pressure fire hose. I've been caught in a few downpours since doing this and have yet to take on any water in the trunk. It really is the simplest solution for your dilemma. No searching for the correct wire, no splicing into OEM wiring, etc. Just plug & play.
    I see now, I didn't catch that before. I could probably bring myself to make that little notch and I do like that it would be plug & play that way. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Found the ram ball mount I was looking for, it was at slingmods site.

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...tras?vehicle=1
    I keep telling folks I sell for less... mine start at $16.95 the one to fit the RAM Ball or Tack Form mounts are $20.95 NOTE: it is the same one as in the URL above..
    Call and get yours today (209) 887-3283

Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg
    DRINK HOLDER.jpgWhite Drink Holder .jpgDrink holder for TackForm mounts.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 04-16-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

I did what Timmb mentions. I bought a cup holder that included a USB port. Take the passenger backrest off to make it easier to work the charging cable to the trunk. Drill and dremel a hole near the hinge and it's done!

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

nicely done! If you are in the least bit concerned about water or road dust getting in there, a search around some places like AutoZone, O'Reilly's or NAPA, you will find various sizes of grommets that are either whole or split to fill the rest of the hole not taken up by the cord. (the whole ones are easy enough to split with a razor knife). However, I'm thinking the placement alone is sufficient to alleviate any worries along those lines.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I did what Timmb mentions. I bought a cup holder that included a USB port. Take the passenger backrest off to make it easier to work the charging cable to the trunk. Drill and dremel a hole near the hinge and it's done!
    I had no idea there was such a thing as a cup holder with built-in usb, cool!

Spyder Garage

nicely done! If you are in the least bit concerned about water or road dust getting in there, a search around some places like AutoZone, O'Reilly's or NAPA, you will find various sizes of grommets that are either whole or split to fill the rest of the hole not taken up by the cord. (the whole ones are easy enough to split with a razor knife). However, I'm thinking the placement alone is sufficient to alleviate any worries along those lines.
    I’m just going to have to take time to take the passenger backrest off and check out my options and “try” to work up the nerve to drill a hole in the trunk.

Spyder Garage

I don't blame ya! I put a usb plug in my 18 that was right up on top of body near glove box...must of looked and rethought it for half an hour before I could pull the trigger on the drill!

Spyder Garage

What type of wire connectors does the under seat plug have? Are they round or spade type male/female connectors? My f3 is at my house in Maine and I can’t check it now. Just want to take the right connectors with me next week. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Don’t forget a fuse

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock