Thread: New Owner Here!

Spyder Garage

Default New Owner Here!

Hi Everyone,

I've been riding bikes since I was 12 back in the early 80's and while looking for a larger "comfy" ride, I stumbled across what is now my 2014 RT Limited! I bought it from a friend. Great shape with 10K miles and I'm loving it.

Maybe after the new excitement wares a bit I might change my tune but right now, I don't have any desire to ride my old bike. Seems like a big awakening for me. I love this Spyder!

Anyway, I'm new to the Spyder Scene and had a few questions please:

I don't know the color of the bike. The seller said it was Black Cherry but I find no reference to Black Cherry anywhere. It looks like it has Red-ish or Purple flakes in it when you look at it indoors but outdoors it looks black. I did find a another thread here that mentioned something about Black Cherry being something else but now I can't find it for some reason.

Is the "Chunk" that happens when shifting into first gear or reverse from neutral "really normal"? Seller said it was.

I'm finding that when I get it up to 60MPH or so, the tires seems rock solid with no shake, and the bike "feels" fine and stable with no shake, but if I look at the mirrors or the windshield, I can see a slight "rocking" motion. Wondering if this slight vibration/rocking back and forth (vertically) is normal or if I might have a tire out of whack or something.

I'm getting a full fluid service on it next week at a Can Am Dealer and I planned to ask them also but looking for any thoughts on the above.

Thanks and great to be here.

Pat

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On cheap cycle parts they refer to the color as Black Current Metallic.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Blackcurrant (Metalic) is a 2014 Spyder color. The image shows the various 2014 paint color numbers. Spyder Paint Codes.jpg

The gear clunk shifting from Neutral to Reverse or 1st gear is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

You will soon learn that the OEM Kenda tires BRP equips Spyders with are known by many of us as Crapendas. You can search the site and find enough tire information to cure the world's worst case of insomnia.

Welcome, good luck and stay safe!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kickthefog View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've been riding bikes since I was 12 back in the early 80's and while looking for a larger "comfy" ride, I stumbled across what is now my 2014 RT Limited! I bought it from a friend. Great shape with 10K miles and I'm loving it.

Maybe after the new excitement wares a bit I might change my tune but right now, I don't have any desire to ride my old bike. Seems like a big awakening for me. I love this Spyder!

Anyway, I'm new to the Spyder Scene and had a few questions please:

I don't know the color of the bike. The seller said it was Black Cherry but I find no reference to Black Cherry anywhere. It looks like it has Red-ish or Purple flakes in it when you look at it indoors but outdoors it looks black. I did find a another thread here that mentioned something about Black Cherry being something else but now I can't find it for some reason.

Is the "Chunk" that happens when shifting into first gear or reverse from neutral "really normal"? Seller said it was.

I'm finding that when I get it up to 60MPH or so, the tires seems rock solid with no shake, and the bike "feels" fine and stable with no shake, but if I look at the mirrors or the windshield, I can see a slight "rocking" motion. Wondering if this slight vibration/rocking back and forth (vertically) is normal or if I might have a tire out of whack or something.

I'm getting a full fluid service on it next week at a Can Am Dealer and I planned to ask them also but looking for any thoughts on the above.

Thanks and great to be here.

Pat
    I'm an x-Leo .... and VT's DMV will enter what's close enough ie. Black .....Every Spyder makes the clunk, going from neutral into gear it's because they have straight cut gears, also if the oil is warm it's not as noticible ... not to worry .... The ( crappy ) factory mirror mounts allow the mirrors to shake .... almost everyone now swaps them out for " Magic Mirror Mounts " you can order them from Lamont ( Monster garage, a vendor here ) ..... read the sticky - Do's and do nots " lots of good info ....... If this is your first time on a Spyder, best advice I got was ....drive it like your Car , light touch etc. .... I'm sure the alignment is OK, so it should track pretty straight, ... crowned roads can effect steering, some say ..... test the brakes - they are very good at stopping ....... be careful not to ride the brake pedal - it will cause a Code ..... & ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ask your friend what, if anything, he did to the suspension. Sway bar, tires, alignment, and shocks are all available to make the ride more enjoyable, safer, and controllable.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum Kickthefrog. I hope you enjoy it. On the new to you Spyder RTL!! Yes as JayBros said, the N to R shift clunk is normal. Some of the vibration you see maybe just the road surface. See how it reacts over a little time.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Hey neighbor....Martinsburg here

Spyder Garage

If you are going to a dealer and getting a "full fluid service" your wallet is going to HURT most likely. But, you get use to spending money on these, mostly on "farkles". Enjoy the ryde. We are.

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for the Warm welcome and wealth of information. Much appreciated!

I appreciate all the responses. Thanks to all for helping me to better understand this animal!

Pat

Spyder Garage

Hi Pat, Welcome to Spyderlovers. I'm in the Punxsutawney area. If I can be of any help, feel free to message me. John
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

and on your new ride. The Black Current color is great looking, and if you get it out in the sun, watch the color seem to change.

The 2014's brought us the 1330/three cylinder engine. They are improved over the 998/2. Better gas mileage, quieter, less expensive to operate and less maintenance. I had a yellow one which I just traded off on a new 2020.

Right on about what others say about the clunk. They all do that when you make that first shift.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-15-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks much John and ARtraveler

Spyder Garage

Cool

Welcome from the west coast rock of Canada - Vancouver Island. In the same boat so to speak, bought my 2014 Spyder RT LE just over two weeks ago with 9100 Kms on the clock (approximately 5500 miles) - now have almost 10,500 Kms on the clock.

Was wondering about the clunk into reverse and first, question answered.

Enjoy the Spyder and so does the Mrs, have an '85 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition to satisfy the two wheel riding (my long term retirement project). Don't miss putting the foot down to support the bike, do like the shifting on the Spyder along with other great attributes. First item ordered and installed was a set of arm rests for the Mrs, she feels better with the arm rests as it gives a "cockpit" feeling and she likes the arm placement. Now that she is happy, I get to do what I want.

Enjoy your new ride. Cheers
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    installed was a set of arm rests for the Mrs, she feels better with the arm rests as it gives a "cockpit" feeling and she likes the arm placement. Now that she is happy, I get to do what I want.
    I am already considering armrests for the Mrs for the same reason! Which ones did you get and any drawbacks to having them on all the time?

Spyder Garage

Yes,the "Chunk" is normal when shifting into first gear and reverse.

Get alignment.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kickthefog View Post
    I've been riding bikes since I was 12 back in the early 80's. If I look at the mirrors or the windshield, I can see a slight "rocking" motion. Wondering if this slight vibration/rocking back and forth (vertically) is normal or if I might have a tire out of whack or something.
    As others have mentioned there is (for most of us) vibration in the mirrors. There are several fixes for this. I used the 'wedgies' and they work fine. As to the rocking, if you are talking side to side, that is because the 2 front wheels are reacting to the road: something you won't have on a 2 wheeler.

Enjoy your Spyder. I am mine.

Rick
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .