Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of switching to 3 wheels from 2...not a Spyder owner...yet

My wife and I have toured extensively on two wheels over the years, 2 Kawasaki Voyagers, and a Gl1500 Aspencade have taken us to most every state east of the Mississippi river. We are both in our mid 60's and thinking about our next touring step. The wing is getting a bit heavy for me fully loaded, riding 2 up. So we have been talking about 3 wheels. I am a pretty big guy 6'3" 250, she is 5'4" (after 40 years, I know better than to even hint at her weight). I am wondering which model is the right FIT. RT / F3. I am more accustomed to an upright typical riding posture. Is it hard to switch of the motorcycle habits and adjust to the reverse trike? Which motor is better the 990 or the 1300? I know it will take me a bunch of time to get used to revving a motor to the recommended ratings. I am sure that we will buy used, is there anything we should look for? I do see a number of very low mileage trikes available? Is there any opinion as to the reason, some are 6-10 years old and have less mileage than I put on the wing the first season.

Thanks for any comments.
    Brian

Spyder Garage

I went to a 3 wheel Spyder about 3 seasons ago, if you do a lot of 2 up riding I would go with an RT. Engine choices are the 2 or 3 cyl. I personally have the 998 2 cyl, I wish I should have gotten the 1330 engine.
    I ride 2 up most of the time and love it. Getting used to it takes time, but very doable, after all, this “older” guy did it.

I think the rewards are well worth it.

Good luck to you on your endeavors.

Russ

Spyder Garage

The RT is built for touring and you will be sitting upright. However, to find the right fit you should test drive both styles and find which you and your sweetheart like better. You should go to the Forum, open the General Discussion tab and read the Do's and Don't's for new owners.

I find the 1330 engine to be much better. more power, less maintenance. If you going to purchase or a resale a few years the 1330 is what you will find.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

There is a leaning curve coming off of 2 wheels. In the early days, many just gave up because no one realized that it was the rider more than the machine. The Spyder may seem twitchy and even uncontrolable to you at first. This really put me and many others off initially. The key is to RELAX, RELAX, RELAX! The tendency is to stiff-arm the handlebars in an attempt to 'Control' the Spyder. This makes things MUCH Worse! You want to isolate any body input into the handlebars. As this is 90% of the twitchy feeling you get.

I don't mean to make it sound worse than it is. Or dangerous. Because the Spyder is one of the safest, most responsive and controllable open air rides you'll ever have. It's just a different animal that you have to get used to. Once you do, it will be a load of enjoyment!

Some don't even have this learning hump. If you're that person, you'll be golden right out of the chute! If not. Just hang in there. It will come to you.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

First I would do the 1330, the next one, I would find some place that let's you test drive or find a friend that will let you guy's take a test ride on both the rt, and F3, because they are both a little different ride style! Try to find one that has a nice back rest trunk, with arm rests for the misses, she'll love her ride, then you have to find you, ride, style!!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You should look at the 2020 and 2021 RT-Limited for the room you need and the auto level rear suspension. We bought an used 2018 after years of not having a road bike. We did however ride snowmobiles in recent years, so counter steer was not burned in my brain. Most newbe's have an issue of over control and death grip on the handle bars. To ride a Spyder on open road, just rest your hands on the handle bars and just guide it along with very small inputs. In the twisties both riders should be using body english leaning into the corners. If it does not track well under those conditions, then it needs a wheel alignment. A Laser alignment is considered the best. I am 6'3" and 220, and found GW trikes to cramped for me space wise. I would have a Bajaron's HD sway bar install right off the sales floor for better control based on what you said about "your" riders!

On Edit, I see Bajaron chimed in above in post #4. He is a great vendor and his HD sway bar is a VERY popular upgrade. I have his front shock adjusters also.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There is a leaning curve coming off of 2 wheels. In the early days, many just gave up because no one realized that it was the rider more than the machine. The Spyder may seem twitchy and even uncontrolable to you at first. This really put me and many others off initially. The key is to RELAX, RELAX, RELAX! The tendency is to stiff-arm the handlebars in an attempt to 'Control' the Spyder. This makes things MUCH Worse! You want to isolate any body input into the handlebars. As this is 90% of the twitchy feeling you get.

I don't mean to make it sound worse than it is. Or dangerous. Because the Spyder is one of the safest, most responsive and controllable open air rides you'll ever have. It's just a different animal that you have to get used to. Once you do, it will be a load of enjoyment!

Some don't even have this learning hump. If you're that person, you'll be golden right out of the chute! If not. Just hang in there. It will come to you.
    Baja Ron is right on the money. I came off of a Goldwing about 5 years ago, bought a 2014 1330 RTS-SE6 and the next day I thought that I had made the worst mistake of my 70 odd years. Still have the same unit, and love it. Wouldn’t have anything else.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

A Spyder owner friend who came from 2 wheels, told me (68 years on twos) it will take 1K miles before you settle in to the Spyder feel and another 1K before you are really in control. He was spot on.
    I agree with the others; try before you buy - you sit differently on the two models. If you intend to do your own maintenance, the F3L & T are easier to work on mainly due to way less Tupperware.
    BTW, you came to the right place for info. There are a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable Spyder owners here who gladly share with others.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Can-Am has a traveling demo program, I signed up online and got an hour-long demo (yes) on a new RT. If you have a motorcycle license (and recent riding experience) you're in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Can-Am has a traveling demo program, I signed up online and got an hour-long demo (yes) on a new RT. If you have a motorcycle license (and recent riding experience) you're in.
    Or sign up for the two day $99 trike course sponsored by Can Am.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I came from a Gold Wing trike and loved it...with many 2-wheelers prior to the trike.
    However I researched the Spyder animal thoroughly and came into it knowing that this is an entirely different animal from a Gold Wing or any other motorcycle I have owned and one must use a different mindset with it. I test drove the 2014 and 2018 RTLs and settled on the new model of the 2021 RTL. Am very happy with it.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Default Demo ride

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    I have signed up for the demo ride, it happens early next month. Why do you think there are so many for sale with low mileage? Is it because the driver could not get used to the uniqueness of the handling? I have seen a number of RT models that have 2000 to 10000 miles for sale. Even though they are 6 to 10 years old.

Spyder Garage

I would definitely stick with the 1330 especially that you're considering riding it two-up, you plan to tour, and you're a big guy as you admitted. I prefer the RT over the F3 and from your description of your riding style I suspect you will too as long as you have the leg room. If you don't want to pay for a newer 2020/2021 RTL...consider some highway peg options that are available.

One thing to consider and hasn't been talked about is whether the passenger experience is better for your wife or not. Both my wife and I were a little surprised with the amount of wind the passenger feels on the Spyder especially when it's a cross-wind (head on winds aren't so bad). I've been a passenger with my wife in the driver's seat on demos and our own. I felt the most wind as a passenger on an F3, less so on my 2017 RTL, and almost no wind on me with her new 2021 RTL. Some people have remedied this with changing out the stock windshields with an after-market windshield...but I've always stuck with OEM. Please, don't let my discussion of the wind deter you or your wife from considering a Spyder. I just want to put it out there as it's our only complaint when two-up. Overall, most passengers are much comfortable on a Spyder than a two-wheeler. I ride regularly with a lot of motorcycle friends and their wives are increasingly nudging their husbands toward the direction of the Spyder as they want a better and safer passenger experience.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

i just got my F3 limited last week, i also had a 2 wheel machine for 20 yrs. but i also have had atv's for just as long,, i was riding my spyder with no problems after 10 miles,, i if you have ever ridden an atv, its quite similiar.. IMO.. ive got 100 miles in 2 rides so far,

Spyder Garage

I’m 61. Went to the 2020 RT-L last year from an 850lb Yamaha Venture. My knees have thanked me every ride since I switched. Fabulous machine, incredibly comfortable. My wife rode it once and said “I want the smaller one”, so we bought her the ‘20 Ryker 900 ACE.

She put more miles on that last summer than she put on her VSTAR 650 in the previous 5 years. We love these things.

The RT-L was the right choice for me because a. cargo capacity b. Comfort c. Huge floor boards so I can flex and move my knees d. Trailer capable when required.

Yes, there’s a learning curve but you’ll adapt quickly. No counter steering was the biggest change in feel for me. Relax into it, ride it, don’t fight it. Once you get the feel of it you’ll never want to switch back.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

I made the switch last August. While I do miss my two wheeler occasionally, there is no comparison if you ride two up like I do most of the time. Way more relaxing and comfortable on my Spyder RT.

Spyder Garage

I think that a lot of people have bought Spyders over the years and rode them very little because they felt uncomfortable riding alone and didn't have others around. Often they are also purchased by folks in their "later years" whose health ultimately makes them garage furniture, or by folks who have never ridden bikes and simply find the open air experience not what they hoped. On the other hand when I rode 2 wheel bikes, for every high mileage bike I saw listed there were "trophy bikes" for sale that had very little mileage under them. Sometimes with any kind of recreational vehicle, people overestimate the amount of time they have to use them... or overestimate the degree to which they will enjoy them. Not unique to Spyders at all!!

I made the switch from a Yamaha Venture two years ago, and have never looked back! My knees and hips thank me every time I ride!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bsavulis View Post
    My wife and I have toured extensively on two wheels over the years, 2 Kawasaki Voyagers, and a Gl1500 Aspencade have taken us to most every state east of the Mississippi river. We are both in our mid 60's and thinking about our next touring step. The wing is getting a bit heavy for me fully loaded, riding 2 up. So we have been talking about 3 wheels. I am a pretty big guy 6'3" 250, she is 5'4" (after 40 years, I know better than to even hint at her weight). I am wondering which model is the right FIT. RT / F3. I am more accustomed to an upright typical riding posture. Is it hard to switch of the motorcycle habits and adjust to the reverse trike? Which motor is better the 990 or the 1300? I know it will take me a bunch of time to get used to revving a motor to the recommended ratings. I am sure that we will buy used, is there anything we should look for? I do see a number of very low mileage trikes available? Is there any opinion as to the reason, some are 6-10 years old and have less mileage than I put on the wing the first season.

Thanks for any comments.
    Brian
    Brian:

Here is an old post that I recently put back up on the board. It may be helpful. I would suggest the 1330 motor sine you would be coming from a low revving GL.

Default Two wheels to three
    Back in the early days of this site, a member posted a response to some comments about the differences between steering on two wheels versus three.
    I ran across it while reading some old posts and thought it was worth reposting. Here it is....."

Originally Posted by MarkLawson
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    The main difference between 2-wheelers and the Spyder is the in steering input. Your 50 years of experience will both help and hurt you at first. You've developed a significant amount of steering memory in those arms. The brain says "turn right" & it happens. The arms already know what to do without having to think about every little act to get it done.

2-wheelers require a technique known as counter-steering, which involve inputs into the steering opposite the desired direction. You push forward on the right handlebar (in effect, turning the handlebars left) to initiate a right hand lean & entering into a right hand turn. Whether you've realized it or not, you've been using counter-steering for 50 years. Your arms know how to do it with you having to consciously think about how to do it.

The Spyder requires a direct steering input method: Steer right to turn right. I found I had to consciously think about how to make the turn on the Spyder because of all my years on the Goldwing. This is the case also while steering straight. You are constantly making small steering changes to stay in the center of the lane (BRP's recommended lane position, by the way). You might find this difficult at first because those arms are constantly wanting to steer you in the opposite direct you want to go. You'll have to reteach them new techniques to overcome so many years of muscle memory.

One more thing...

Timing on when to enter the turns is different than on 2-wheelers. The counter-steering technique requires you to begin the turn steering inputs before you actually want to start the turn. You steer left, which initiates a right hand lean and then a right hand turn. There's a slight delay between the the time of the initial steering input and before the turn actually start. Again, this is something you likely haven't thought about for years, but it happens. It's something your arms already know. If you use the same timing on the Spyder, you'll find you are entering the turn a little too soon and will have to make a course correction to make the corner correctly. Just be aware that when you enter steering inputs that is when the Spyder begins the steering change. You may have to consciously think about when to turn.

I hope this is helpful. When I realized why I was having difficulties, correcting it was much easier & riding more enjoyable. I still have the Goldwing and I have found that switching between the two is easy.
    Mark
    That's the best explanation of the difference between two and three that I've ever seen on here.

Well done.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2021 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I bought one of those low mileage used RTs (2016 RTL with 1300 miles) last July in perfect shape, got a great deal. Have put 4500 miles on it since, like many other newbees it took about 1000 miles to get used to it after many years on two wheels. I am just under 6 feet tall and I felt very cramped on the RT until I got the comfort seat, now all is well. I think the 2020-21 models may suit you better, I rode one in a CanAm class and it definitely has more leg room than mine. I did a write up in Ride Reports on my first long trip on the RT if your interested.

Spyder Garage

I too am going from 2 to 3 ('06 GL1800 has 123500 miles we put on it). Just through two demo rides I realize that I have to break the habit of supporting my upper body with the handlebars. On a straight smooth road such as the interstate at about 70 MPH, it felt great. On undulating side roads I found my habit caused the Spyder RT we were demoing to dart around until I tried just touching the bars with my hands. The wife has to learn to use her hands on the handgrips more. She was so locked in between the speaker pods on the GoldWing, and the cornering forces keeping her in her seat that she was a bit uncomfortable on the Spyder. We have to adjust to things in life. I expect this adjustment to be fun!
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I went from a 03 wing to a RTL in 2015. After 15k miles and lots of mods it never measured up in the comfort dept. Went back to a 06 wing. If you need room for 2 people look at 2020 and newer.

Spyder Garage

If your Wing were young enough you could look at Tilting Motor Works as an option. Yes a tilting trike!! I would if I could afford it but my wing is too old and I already bought the Spyder.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I think sone of the bikes with low mileage is due to several reasons. 1) The novelty of having a three wheeler wore off. 2) friends or riding buddies influence and 3} It ended up not being what they thought it was. Mine is low mileage because the person that owned it used it to escort veterans to the cemetery when they had passed. I usually only ride my bike to work and a few short trips around town. seldom do I take a longer trip on the hwy.
    2011 rt , pearl white