Spyder Garage

Default What is the correct Wheel Balancer Cone size for Spyder rims?

Does anyone know the size of wheel cone for the 20-21 spyder RT? My tire shop had tires I want but not quite small enough cone to balance. Maybe I could find one elsewhere. In the meantime I will shop for a business that can Road Force balance the front tires.

The other option is the $40 balancer from Harbor Freight. Any experience with that for Q5 tires?

Spyder Garage

You'd need to know what brand & model balancer that particular tire shop is using - there are a few different types out there!!

If your tire shop is customer focussed/switched on at all, once they know the dia of the hub hole in your particular rim, & possibly a bit more rim specific details, they should be able to source the correct sized cone to suit - most balancers will have something available that works, even if many tire shops simply don't bother to buy in the complete range, instead opting to get only the few most commonly used sizes.

There again, if you do it yourself, at least you'll know it's been done with care..... and while I don't know what the Harbor Freight option looks like (cos we don't have them here in Oz!) a simple stand & axle arrangement can work well, especially with well made & pretty much already well balanced tires like the Vredesteins!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The first one is Harbor Freight and the second is off Amazon, $45 and $90 respectively. I can probably balance the stand myself.

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...and-98488.html

https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Wh...a-525500163323

Spyder Garage

My buddy is a tech at a Jeep dealer. Their balancer doesn't have a cone small enough for the front rims. I bought the Marc Parnes static balancer and the universal cone set which works well. The Harbor Freight balancer gets poor reviews due to ever-changing results each time the same wheel is mounted.
    http://www.marcparnes.com/Motorcycle...Components.htm
    Use the COMBI cones with the shaft & bearings.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I gave Marc a call; he'll be back in shop Friday. Believes his setup for Spyder is $150 approx. I might go that route if I'm still looking. Thnx

Spyder Garage

I just got one from Marc, make sure you get the long shaft for it. 16" His normal is 14"
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

get some ride on tire sealant balancer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    get some ride on tire sealant balancer
    Before I got the Spyder cones I used balance beads up front. The 1st 10-15 minutes of riding, the front end was horribly unbalanced. After that the beads loosened up and the ride smoothed out. When I got the right cones I dismounted and cleaned out the beads then balanced with the Marc Parnes set. Been perfect since with no warm-up imbalance.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

40 mm most likey for the bore.

WB2251-40 40mm Low Profile Taper Balancer Cone Range 1.69" - 2.23"

Got this one off Ebay years ago. Most likley cheaper too. But I bring it with me when I do the Spyder front wheels

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have used my Marc Parnes balancer on all of my BMW's since my '12 K1600, tires have been in great balance on speeds up into the 160's.

Highly recommended.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post

Got this one off Ebay years ago. Most likley cheaper too. But I bring it with me when I do the Spyder front wheels
    Was able to order this cone and my tire store for the Q5s said good to go for a Road Force balance when the tires arrive.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    I have used my Marc Parnes balancer on all of my BMW's since my '12 K1600, tires have been in great balance on speeds up into the 160's.

Highly recommended.
    The narrower true motorcycle tires balance well on a static balancer. As the tires become wider, such as a Spyder front tire, precession or wobble can be a concern.

My balancer can accomplish both static and dynamic balancing. I prefer to accomplish dynamic balancing, adding weight to both the inner and out flange area to prevent precession / wobble.

Centramatic balancers will correct imbalance but can not adjust for differences in balance of the tires sidewall weights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post

I ordered this cone and Discount Tire mounted my Q5s and Road Forced balance the tires. From a short ride things seem smoother and less vibration in mirror that has already had the BRP update. Maybe the mirror still needs a tweak but could tell earlier vibration was mostly due to OEM Kendas. Have 1,000 mi on the RT now. Tracks well over the road but will get laser align when possible and perhaps a BajaRon. A fine machine.