Spyder Garage

Question 2019 F3 Rear Shock

Hi,
    Sorry this is so long...

We have a 2019 F3 that we bought used w/1,000 miles on it from a local Can-Am dealer/exactly 1 year ago. We have put 2,000 miles on it ourselves.
    It's going in for its 1st service at the end of this month so, now would be the time to plan on changing the rear shock as well.

99% of our riding is 2-up. We currently have the stock F3 rear shock.

As much as we try to avoid dips in the road (potholes, sunken manhole covers, etc.) sometimes hitting them is unavoidable or you just don't see it until it's too late. This causes A LOT of discomfort for the passenger. We pretty much take turns driving so, I've been the driver and the passenger when this happens and it feels like a hard slam/with no cushioning at all. The driver feels it a little but, the passenger definitely takes the brunt of the hit. Together we weigh in at 330 lbs. plus the weight of gear, hard saddle bags and passenger setup. We probably never carry more than 5-10 lbs of other stuff.

Would a new, upgraded rear shock help? I know they can be pricy but, if it makes for a more comfortable ride then it's worth it.

We now know that an F3T would've suited us for 2-up riding better but, we didn't know that until several months after we bought the F3. Maybe our next Spyder will be upgraded to the F3T but, trading up is not an option for us anytime soon. I'm hoping that upgrading the rear shock will help ease the problem.

Any suggestions on this will be a big help.
    Thank you.

6-2020.jpg

Edit: I have just started researching rear shocks and most of what I see says "Occasional 2-up". Not sure what it's called but, occasional won't do. We definitely need Full time/All the time (not sure what it's called?) 2-up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Exit14 View Post
    Hi,
    We now know that an F3T would've suited us for 2-up riding better but, we didn't know that until several months after we bought the F3. Maybe our next Spyder will be upgraded to the F3T but, trading up is not an option for us anytime soon. I'm hoping that upgrading the rear shock will help ease the problem.

Any suggestions on this will be a big help.
    Thank you.
    From the reviews of Spyder Lovers whom have had an upgraded rear shock installed , YES.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I did a lot of research before I bought my F3-S and knew that the stock shock would be inadequate for riding 2-up. The reviews on the BRP 2-up shock also weren't that great. I ended up ordering an Elka shock sprung for our weight range plus cargo load. It is a huge improvement over the stock shock.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Heck .. Even the occasional two up shock ($199) would be quite an improvement. BRP recommends minimum weight of 240# when using that shock.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the replies. I have found 2 so far that seem to be made for 2-up riding.
    1) BRP/Fox Adjustable shock #219400734 @ $680 and 2) Elka adjustable shock 70005 for 2015-2020 F3/F3S @ $650

I haven't come across any others yet.

Spyder Garage

Exit, even the F3-T series bottom out two up using their two-up shock. It’s a pretty basic unit. Fox and Elka are good options. I am using Wilbers and bottoming is a thing of the past

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I would do it and not look back!!!! I will say, I just changed my front shocks on my bike and I should have done it years ago, what a difference! Going to do the rear next year!! They don't use a very good shock in my book, that is on the 2012, can say for the newer models haven had any seat time on one.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep have the M2 shock and like it way better than stock setup. In fact dont even use the air bag anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Yep have the M2 shock and like it way better than stock setup. In fact dont even use the air bag anymore.
    If you still have the bag in there you should throw 10=15 lb's of air in there just to keep the bag from getting pinched!! That's what I was told to do when I change mine over!! If you gutted it out then forget all that!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If you still have the bag in there you should throw 10=15 lb's of air in there just to keep the bag from getting pinched!! That's what I was told to do when I change mine over!! If you gutted it out then forget all that!!!
    Not really worried about it. As long as it goes up and down and still starts that good for me.. Thanks for the heads up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Not really worried about it. As long as it goes up and down and still starts that good for me.. Thanks for the heads up!
    Oh so you still use the air bag?? Cool, when I swap out, the bag will only be in play if I want it!! My pump went down two years ago and I bypassed it and turned it to a manual system, could see the sense in buying another pump that would just fart out on me again!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Oh so you still use the air bag?? Cool, when I swap out, the bag will only be in play if I want it!! My pump went down two years ago and I bypassed it and turned it to a manual system, could see the sense in buying another pump that would just fart out on me again!
    Everything is still there just never use the air compressor anymore. Think its even drained of the air.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!

I talked to a guy at Lamonster about which rear shock would be best for riding 2-up and ordered the Elka STAGE 2 HYD REAR SHOCK @ $850.
    Then I figured another $280 on top of that wouldn't kill me so, I finally ordered the BajaRon Sway Bar w/red links that I've been procrastinating about for like 8 months now.

I'll probably do the front shocks later this summer or in the fall.