Spyder Garage

Default Spyder For Wife..

Good morning, I am new to the forum, coming from the Goldwing world. I have a 2018 Goldwing which I like very much. Unfortunately, my wife is very uncomfortable on it, due to reduced room from the previous generation Goldwing.I don't want to give up my Wing, and I am considering all options. One of which is a Spyder for her to ride solo. She will be 64 years old soon. She rode motorcycles years ago, and snowmobiles many many years ago. I understand very well that the Spyder is a completely different animal than a motorcycle. Without getting too far into personal medical conditions, I will add that she is receiving cancer treatment. While she feels good, there are side effects. Hot weather is a problem. The helmet irritates her head, even with a skull cap, and there are other issues. In short, it's possible she's done riding all together. As such, co$t, as always, is a consideration. My question is, if we decide to get her a Spyder, is there any reason we should not get a Ryker? I play in the snowmobile world as well, and I understand the 900 ACE is a proven reliable motor. It will certainly provide all the power she needs to ride solo. I would want something with a windshield. Luggage would not be concern, as my Wing is setup to haul enough luggage for the two of us. Including a new Pakitrak that I just installed when she informed me she didn't want to travel on the Wing anymore...

Spyder Garage

Your best bet is to test drive the spyder you want, you (or She) may like the f3T or LTD because it would adjust to her if she is small, Or she may like the comfort of the RT. The Ryker I understand does not have power steering. If I were you I would test ride all to see the one that fits her better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Definitely test drive models as much as possible. Wish you both the best. Welcome.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    Your best bet is to test drive the spyder you want, you (or She) may like the f3T or LTD because it would adjust to her if she is small, Or she may like the comfort of the RT. The Ryker I understand does not have power steering. If I were you I would test ride all to see the one that fits her better.
    What are the costs of these other models? She can certainly test drive them all. We could look for used after. This may not get used much, the cost needs to be kept down. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Test ride models and see if you can get a good used one . The prices now are going to higher then if you buy after riding season. But don't settle on the ryker because of the price only, she will need to test ride it. The bikes are all different , that is why you need to test ride.

Spyder Garage

Given the very complete explanation of your situation and, yes, this is a Spyder lovers web site, were I in your boots I'd bag the Spyder and buy a convertible. Life's too short not to do everything you can for the bride.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I too ride a Goldwing Trike that I like very much. 2 years ago I bought an 2015 RT Special Series for her after she attended the can am riders school. We went with a touring model mainly for comfort and long trips. I installed a hitch on it to serve as a back up to hauling my trailer in case of mechanical issues with the wing (I know never happen).
    In my wife’s case she is very happy with her Spyder.
    Good luck let us know what you decide.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wng2 View Post
    Good morning, I am new to the forum, coming from the Goldwing world. I have a 2018 Goldwing which I like very much. Unfortunately, my wife is very uncomfortable on it, due to reduced room from the previous generation Goldwing.I don't want to give up my Wing, and I am considering all options. One of which is a Spyder for her to ride solo. She will be 64 years old soon. She rode motorcycles years ago, and snowmobiles many many years ago. I understand very well that the Spyder is a completely different animal than a motorcycle. Without getting too far into personal medical conditions, I will add that she is receiving cancer treatment. While she feels good, there are side effects. Hot weather is a problem. The helmet irritates her head, even with a skull cap, and there are other issues. In short, it's possible she's done riding all together. As such, co$t, as always, is a consideration. My question is, if we decide to get her a Spyder, is there any reason we should not get a Ryker? I play in the snowmobile world as well, and I understand the 900 ACE is a proven reliable motor. It will certainly provide all the power she needs to ride solo. I would want something with a windshield. Luggage would not be concern, as my Wing is setup to haul enough luggage for the two of us. Including a new Pakitrak that I just installed when she informed me she didn't want to travel on the Wing anymore...
    Best wishes for a complete recovery from cancer..... CANCER SUCKS!
    Upon her completion of Chemo and an ALL CLEAR from her doctor..... buy her the most expensive Can Am Spyder available and enjoy life..... it’s way too short!
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Find her a clean used 2014-2019 used RT-Limited. It will drive just like the snowmobiles she use to ride. If you buy in right, you will not loose money on it if you have to turn around a sell it again. The Ryker is the crotch rocket of three wheelers and most likely the wrong machine for her. Sign her up for one of the Can Am sponsored trike classes. Then you will know for $99 and two days in class if it will be what she wants to do.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

make sure its a 3 cylinder with six speed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    make sure its a 3 cylinder with six speed
    SE6 to be more on point!

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

My wife is 71 years young and never driven a motorcycle, she has driven years ago a snowmobile. She is 5'2" and weighs 118 or so. She decided she wanted to learn to ride a spyder since I have one, but didn't like how big mine felt. We went to the dealer and she sat on each model. She said they seem big to her so she wasn't comfortable with the size. The salesman then took her into another area where they had a Ryker waiting to be delivered. She sat on the Ryker and said it felt good and comfortable. Another plus was it is fully automatic so very simple to learn to ride it. We ended up getting a 2020 almost new Ryker Rally from a gal we found on facebook market place for $8500. Still has six months of warranty left. We have put another $1500 or so in accessories including a windshield which is a must in our opinion. We got the madstad windshield, and had them make it a sixteen inch high since they normally carry 18 inches and up. She wanted to be able to look over the shield. It worked out perfect and she has been riding every chance she gets and loves it. I have a 2018 Can Am F3s, but she likes the Ryker for her much more. So be sure to at least sit on each model and get a feel for them. I think she will know which one seems right for her. Good luck. By the way the no power steering on the Ryker is not a problem as it weighs less and is not any more difficult to turn than the others.

Spyder Garage

If she drove her own sled, and likes bikes I think the ryker would be a ton of fun for her!!! And once you jumped on it you'll have fun on it also, it reminds me of a go cart, no shifting, just point and shoot!! TON OF FUN!! Good Luck, hope she feels better soon and gets out and enjoys life!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Given the very complete explanation of your situation and, yes, this is a Spyder lovers web site, were I in your boots I'd bag the Spyder and buy a convertible. Life's too short not to do everything you can for the bride.
    Yup. That's a consideration too. Just trying to get myself informed. Thanks.
    Rich,
    Berwick, Maine

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
    My wife is 71 years young and never driven a motorcycle, she has driven years ago a snowmobile. She is 5'2" and weighs 118 or so. She decided she wanted to learn to ride a spyder since I have one, but didn't like how big mine felt. We went to the dealer and she sat on each model. She said they seem big to her so she wasn't comfortable with the size. The salesman then took her into another area where they had a Ryker waiting to be delivered. She sat on the Ryker and said it felt good and comfortable. Another plus was it is fully automatic so very simple to learn to ride it. We ended up getting a 2020 almost new Ryker Rally from a gal we found on facebook market place for $8500. Still has six months of warranty left. We have put another $1500 or so in accessories including a windshield which is a must in our opinion. We got the madstad windshield, and had them make it a sixteen inch high since they normally carry 18 inches and up. She wanted to be able to look over the shield. It worked out perfect and she has been riding every chance she gets and loves it. I have a 2018 Can Am F3s, but she likes the Ryker for her much more. So be sure to at least sit on each model and get a feel for them. I think she will know which one seems right for her. Good luck. By the way the no power steering on the Ryker is not a problem as it weighs less and is not any more difficult to turn than the others.
    We had a lady in our trike class that was to short to ride an RT and she keep doing burnout on the Ryker. She might have been better off a 600 Ryker, as I said earlier the 900 is the crotch rocket of of trikes.

Spyder Garage

Just wondering if the OP has an update on the Spyder/Ryker acquisition process...

Spyder Garage

The OP has not been back to the site except for the three total posts on 4/13/21 the original day of the post.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I’m 73 years old I have a F3 And Rt. I love them both. But the F3 is easier and more fun to ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclerambler View Post
    Just wondering if the OP has an update on the Spyder/Ryker acquisition process...
    I never did bring I never did bring this subject up with my wife. We have been on one bike ride together since. She did not complain that day. I do believe the days of cross country touring on motorcycle are over though. She expresses interest in a camper....There may be a Spyder in our future, but it will not be this year with other things in life going on. I was trying to do my homework and get myself as well informed as possible before making the suggestion. I sincerely appreciate all the good information provided. Thanks very much.
    Rich,
    Berwick, Maine

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wng2 View Post
    I never did bring I never did bring this subject up with my wife. We have been on one bike ride together since. She did not complain that day. I do believe the days of cross country touring on motorcycle are over though. She expresses interest in a camper....There may be a Spyder in our future, but it will not be this year with other things in life going on. I was trying to do my homework and get myself as well informed as possible before making the suggestion. I sincerely appreciate all the good information provided. Thanks very much.
    My wife was diagnosed with ALS in December and continued to ride on the back of our 2018 Spyder for 2 or 3 months before it became to tiring for her. We then did a few day trips in our Ford Edge ST bringing along her wheel chair. Now those days are bygones also. Lately we are down to watching an episode or two of Heartland together each day in her room at an Adult Family Home where she is now. So enjoy what you can do together with your DW while you can. Getting old is not for wimps!

Buying the Spyder last fall, in our late 70's, was a throw back to the 1980's when we had a Kawasaki 650 SR, she loved riding on the back of that and riding her Honda Trail 110. I would add that she really likes the loaner powered wheelchair that the ALS Association has provided for her.

I wish the best for you and your wife!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    My wife was diagnosed with ALS in December and continued to ride on the back of our 2018 Spyder for 2 or 3 months before it became to tiring for her. We then did a few day trips in our Ford Edge ST bringing alone her wheel chair. Now those days are bygones also. Lately we are down to watching an episode or two of Heartland together each day in her room at an Adult Family Home where she is now. So enjoy what you can do together with your DW while you can. Getting old is not for wimps!

Buying the Spyder last fall, in our late 70's, was a throw back to the 1980's when we had a Kawasaki 650 SR, she loved riding on the back of that and riding her Honda Trail 110. I would add that she really likes the loaner powered wheelchair that the ALS Association has provided for her.

So sorry to hear this Smoking1127, you and your wife are in my thoughts. Cherish each other and your memories while you can.

I totally agree, live life to it's fullest as you never know what tomorrow might hold.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Something I did not see in previous answers was addressing her strength and stamina. We purchased a 2014 RT Limited in the fall of '17 for my wife thinking it would be "her" ride while I continued on the two wheelers. The big mistake we made was in not doing sufficient test rides. We both test rode a friend's RT for about 10 minutes each about a year before our purchase. Then after getting serious about the '14 being offered here we test rode a 990 in Altus OK. but she didn't feel like driving so I took took us for about a 30 minute spin around the area. Handling that and our RT has been no problem for me as I maintain a sufficient level of fitness. She, on the other hand, has always been fairly weak in here upper body. Bottom line of all that is she only has the strength and stamina to ride safely for about an hour and is this then simply too tired. That results in us having to take the Spyder if any ride we plan is more than an hour. I don't mind taking the back seat so she can drive, but that situation certainly limits the time and distance we can go on separate vehicles.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    My wife was diagnosed with ALS in December and continued to ride on the back of our 2018 Spyder for 2 or 3 months before it became to tiring for her. We then did a few day trips in our Ford Edge ST bringing along her wheel chair. Now those days are bygones also. Lately we are down to watching an episode or two of Heartland together each day in her room at an Adult Family Home where she is now. So enjoy what you can do together with your DW while you can. Getting old is not for wimps!

Thanks, I wish the same for you and your wife as well.
    Rich,
    Berwick, Maine

Spyder Garage

Getting the right ride can sometimes take a good deal of research and time. But it is usually well worth the effort.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-02-2021 at 02:43 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...