Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I really appreciate all of your thoughtful responses!

I didn't even know Cycle Gear existed, so I learned that today-- unfortunately the nearest one is 77 miles away.

I returned the helmet in question and ordered the next size up. If it arrives on time (Thursday) and if it fits, I'm good to go. If it doesn't fit, I may have to 1) try to make a trip to the Cycle Gear and try on some helmets or 2) buy one at this dealership and hope for the best.

Saturday is the big day, either way, and I'm looking forward to my first ride!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Webbikeworld.com is a motorcycle gear review website. They have a LOT of info on helmets...sizing, fitment, styles, weights, brands.

I have worn HJC modular helmets since 2007 due to their being lighter weight than a lot and are reasonably priced on most of their line.
    I like that they have an eyeglasses groove to make it easier to slip on and off and wear your glasses comfortably while riding.

The thing I don’t like about them is the cheekpads. They are so fat and firm that it causes pain in the jaw pretty quick.
    With this helmet brand I have gone up a size but the cheekpads are still a problem. But the one-size-larger also accomodated my head slik which i wear to help keep the interior clean.
    Right now there are no smaller pads available for sale but they are supposed to be coming.
    In the meantime, while off the bike, I have squashed a couple of beefy towels inbetween the cheekpads to help break them in.
    This has helped a lot but I have threatened to cut the foam down myself just as another member did here in an earlier post. If the towels don’t get the pads down pretty soon I WILL get the knife and have at it.

I bought the HJC I-90 this time from Revzilla (where i always buy helmets). I liked the fit of the HJC Rpha 90 helmet better but it is more $$ than I wanted to spend at this time after just buying my 2021 RTL.

I do find that this I-90 is pretty quiet...maybe because the stupid cheekpads are so fat and seal up the gaps well..
    I hate to buy helmet online without trying it on first. I've been putting off a trip of a 130 miles or so to check out some helmets in St Louis. Your post made me kind of decide that maybe I'll take a chance and buy the HJC I-90 helmet, which has been my choice based upon reviews and price. Checking online everything's out of stock. AAARGGGGGHHHHHH.

Spyder Garage

Most bike dealers - regardless of brands carried - have a selection of lids. If you have any local shops, try them.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Most bike dealers - regardless of brands carried - have a selection of lids. If you have any local shops, try them.
    I have. COVID messed up stock... Just nothing in stock locally.

Spyder Garage

'20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Ok here's an update.

The latest helmet came from Amazon came, and it doesn't seem to fit either. Still too small. It seems to fit everywhere on the head except at my upper jaw on both sides.

At my upper jaw, it pushes in so far, I have to continually make an effort to not bite my cheeks that get pushed in. It is difficult to talk without pain.

This was an XL LS2 Modular Valiant Helmet. I really like everything about it, but struggling to get it to fit.

Since I don't have time to order another from Amazon and get it before I pick up the bike on Saturday, I took the day off work today and am driving to the nearest Cycle Gear at your suggestion. Unfortunately, it's an hour and 40 minutes away. Hopefully I can get this figured out when I get there. Try some things on, get one picked.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Glad to read you're going to Cycle Gear. 77 miles is not too far to get what you quickly need. I've ridden 365 miles for a recommended Reuben sandwich and it was worth it.
    Don't forget to update us.

Spyder Garage

The LS2 is too narrow for your head shape. Look for a rounder model.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Glad to read you're going to Cycle Gear. 77 miles is not too far to get what you quickly need. I've ridden 365 miles for a recommended Reuben sandwich and it was worth it.
    Well just got home... going to wear my new helmet for the evening. The salespeople at Cycle Gear were very helpful, and I ended up getting a Sedici full-faced helmet for $220. My max budget was $300.

It's lighter than the one I was trying to get from Amazon which is good. The greatest help, however, was just having someone help me what a helmet should feel like when it fits. I just didn't have an idea. They were very helpful with that.

I ended up buying some boots too.

I'm returning the other one to Amazon.

I've now got everything I need to pick up the bike on Saturday, and drive it home. woohoo! The weather looks ok but cool--I'll be riding in the afternoon with a high of 54 degrees.

Spyder Garage

Congrats! Wear layers that can be shed as needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fribur View Post
    Well just got home... going to wear my new helmet for the evening. The salespeople at Cycle Gear were very helpful, and I ended up getting a Sedici full-faced helmet for $220. My max budget was $300.

It's lighter than the one I was trying to get from Amazon which is good. The greatest help, however, was just having someone help me what a helmet should feel like when it fits. I just didn't have an idea. They were very helpful with that.

I ended up buying some boots too.

I'm returning the other one to Amazon.

I've now got everything I need to pick up the bike on Saturday, and drive it home. woohoo! The weather looks ok but cool--I'll be riding in the afternoon with a high of 54 degrees.
    Glad Cycle Gear was of help to you. Now to enjoy that new Ryker

Spyder Garage

I got one of these a couple of years ago, I love it, and it just hit me that it might be a great "Ryker Ace" rider's helmet...

https://www.daytonahelmets.com/d.o.t...er-flying-aces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    God I do love a good Reuben. If you're ever in the Houston area check out Katz's.

Spyder Garage

Love Reubens, but drive.. ahh that's for my Ramen obsession.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    I got one of these a couple of years ago, I love it, and it just hit me that it might be a great "Ryker Ace" rider's helmet...

https://www.daytonahelmets.com/d.o.t...er-flying-aces
    I love it! So great-- and so different than the personality and life that I currently have.... I wonder what my students would think

Spyder Garage

Cycle gear has lots of helmets and you can try them on. At least to get an idea of your size. And shape. Is there one close enough for you to get to?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lili77 View Post
    Cycle gear has lots of helmets and you can try them on. At least to get an idea of your size. And shape. Is there one close enough for you to get to?
    Thanks for the idea... if you read the thread, you will see this is what I did-- so your idea was a good one!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    God I do love a good Reuben. If you're ever in the Houston area check out Katz's.
    Westheimer road thanks. Haven't ridden that far SE yet, have to put it on our list !

Spyder Garage

It will be tight at first and the jaw will be restricted. At least for me and I wear a double xtra large. it will adjust after a while. Mine fits fine now.