Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet question from a new rider.

Hi all!

On Saturday I pick up a Ryker Rally from the dealership, and I intend to drive it home.

I am a brand new rider-- I've never driven anything other than cars.

My question concerns a helmet-- here is the scenario:

1. the dealer is not willing to let me try on helmets due to COVID.

2. I decided then, to research and buy a helmet via Amazon, because then I can return it if it doesn't fit and get another.

3. First helmet came, and it was the wrong one. I immediately returned it.

4. Second helmet arrived today, and I'm wearing it while typing this message. I got a modular-- the LS2 Valiant, for close to $300. It's a large, which is what was suggested based on my own measured head size.

It looks great!

Question: How do I know if this thing actually fits me? It feels tight, but since I've never bought a helmet, I don't know if it is properly snug, or too tight.

I have it on now. It seems fine on the top of my head. It *might* be too tight around my cheeks. How do I know if it is? How should it feel? How much will the padding thin over time? I can feel it actually restricting my jaw a bit. I'm not in any pain, but... I don't know how it is *supposed* to feel.

I can't look very far downward before I feel the strap digging into my throat.

Spyder Garage

I think it's too small. Taking it off was definitely a relief, and I can feel around my head (especially my jaw) that it was a bit painful as it was.

going to try an XL. Hope it fits, because it will arrive the day before I go pick up the bike.

Spyder Garage

first off, don't go cheap. You only have one head and it is valuable. So pick a good brand.
    Second, If you are new to the bike scene then I suggest a full face helmet for maximum protection.
    Third, take a cloth tape measure, one like a person that sews uses and measure your head. Place the tape measure 1" above your eyebrows and ears and measure the diameter.
    Fourth, Go to a helmet manufacturers website of the helmet you like and they all have a sizing guide on their website to be able to compare your measurement to the size that you would need. If you end up with an in between size where your measurement could be either a smaller or larger size I suggest going to the smaller size because the pads will wear in and loosen up.
    last thing, Check to see if the size guide gives you recommendations for helmet size comparisons if you have an oval or round head.

Good Luck
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Helmets come in different shapes as well as sizes. Each brand has different shapes available. They vary from Round to narrow oval. You need to measure your head circumference and know your head shape. If the lid is tight only on the sides, it's too narrow. Conversely, if tight at forehead it's too round.

I WOULD NEVER BUY A HELMET WITHOUT 1ST TRYING IT ON!!!!!

Motorcyclegear.com has a 'Lid Picker' kit to determine your fit. https://www.motorcyclegear.com/info_...lidpicker.html

Here's an example of the brands, models. Probably not up to date but good for showing the differences.
    http://www.lidpicker.com/free-data

Revzilla and other online shops will usually let you exchange for free once.
    Also, Cyclegear stores (p/o Revzilla) have a decent selection to try if you have one nearby.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Since you already bought it, Put the helmet on and watch tv for an hour. If you don’t notice it’s there your good. You’ll know in 20 minutes if it’s to tight. When my wife was picking one out she walked around the shop looking at cloths and talking etc for 30 minutes. If you forget it’s on it’s perfect. If it’s bugging you it’s no good. Don’t just try one. Try them all. Revzilla has $7.00 return on anything if you choose not to keep or exchange. That’s cheap to return.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I WOULD NEVER BUY A HELMET WITHOUT 1ST TRYING IT ON!!!!!
    My dealer will not let me try on helmets before I buy, because of COVID.

So... I'm buying them from Amazon, trying them on, then returning if they don't fit. I was really hoping to have something ready to go before I pick up the bike on Saturday, so I didn't have to buy a helmet from whatever limited selection happens to be there (and that I can't try on).

first off, don't go cheap. You only have one head and it is valuable. So pick a good brand.
    I have no idea if what I purchased is a "good brand." I couldn't do much more than $300-- I purchased an LS2 Valiant. It seemed to have good reviews for the price-- I watched a lot of Revzilla and Youtube videos before making the choice.

I did measure my head as suggested, and at first, purchased a helmet that the manufacturer said would fit me. I think it's too small, though.

Spyder Garage

Your wearing it while you are "breaking it in" is a good idea. Most helmets will seem tight at first. They stretch a bit to take on the shape of your head. Our last helmets Bell/Mag 9 seemed tight at first. We wore them for a couple hours each night while watching the TV. After about 4 days...they felt like exact fit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Put the helmet on and watch tv for an hour. If you don’t notice it’s there your good. You’ll know in 20 minutes if it’s to tight. When my wife was picking one out she walked around the shop looking at cloths and talking etc for 30 minutes. If you forget it’s on it’s perfect. If it’s bugging you it’s no good. Don’t just try one. Try them all. Revzilla has $7.00 return on anything if you choose not to keep or exchange. That’s cheap to return.
    Thank you! This is what I needed to hear. It definitely was "noticed." I'm returning it and trying the next size up. It was too tight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Your wearing it while you are "breaking it in" is a good idea. Most helmets will seem tight at first. They stretch a bit to take on the shape of your head. Our last helmets Bell/Mag 9 seemed tight at first. We wore them for a couple hours each night while watching the TV. After about 4 days...they felt like exact fit.
    So here is the thing-- it wasn't just tight (unless it is supposed to feel this way)... it was actually so tight around my jaw that it was restricting my mouth movement, and after about 15 minutes I had some pain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fribur View Post
    So here is the thing-- it wasn't just tight (unless it is supposed to feel this way)... it was actually so tight around my jaw that it was restricting my mouth movement, and after about 15 minutes I had some pain.
    That is to tight. When you start to hurt quickly...that's a good clue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fribur View Post
    It's too narrow. If the size is right for your measurement, you need to look at semi-oval or round. Also, good lids have cheek pads sizes that can mix & match to custom fit.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Sounds too tight to me, too. There are a LOT of useful tips on this website: https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...orcycle-helmet

Knowing the circumference of your melon and its general shape w/respect to ovality is crucial to getting a proper fit. In my experience, Revzilla has a lot of knowledgeable people just waiting to reply to your emails.

If you live in a helmet law state you may need DOT certified. I would suggest Snell certification as well. https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ty-ratings-101

Spyder Garage

Also, do you know if you have an oval or round head? Most helmets are shaped for certain shaped heads. You could try checking this by measuring over the top of your head from side to side and then from front to back. Basically where the band of a baseball hat would sit on your head. If your front to back is close to your side to side then you have around head. If front to back is larger then side to side then you have an oval.

Spyder Garage

Ok it does sounds too tight, but do not get one too large! A helmet that's too large will not protect as it should, actually increases air noise when riding and will cause you issues over time. A perfect fitting helmet is not easy to get, I actually found a Arai factory dealer, close enough to visit (pre covid). They then fit me, going through several models, to pick shape and size. It's snug, all around me head, and face. Having ridden in what must gave been loose helmets I thought fit, I now would never make that mistake again. Ps my wife rides in a Valiant ls2 she loves it, I was impressed by quality.

Spyder Garage

& ya first helmets usually become spares recommended no more than 5years of use Recent thread maybe useful

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...nly-1-in-stock

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If there is a cycle gear in your area, go there. They'll assist with fitting and selecting a helmet.

Spyder Garage

I appreciate all of your responses!

Ok it does sounds too tight, but do not get one too large! A helmet that's too large will not protect as it should, actually increases air noise when riding and will cause you issues over time.
    I ordered just one size larger.

It's my last shot-- I won't have a chance to get another if this one doesn't fit. I'll have to buy one at the dealership and hope.

I don't have a good idea of the *shape* of my head. Based on an earlier post, I guess it's possible my head is more "round."

Want to see me? What shape is my head? sorry about it being sideways-- no idea how to fix that.

IMG_20210412_211357.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    It's too narrow. If the size is right for your measurement, you need to look at semi-oval or round. Also, good lids have cheek pads sizes that can mix & match to custom fit.
    With those & the other 'that is too tight' comments, but be aware, a brand new helmet SHOULD feel at least a bit 'tight' on first putting it on! It should even still feel 'snug' on your face/head 2 or 3 years down track, BUT, it shouldn't 'hurt' after 20-60 minutes or so! If it hurts or you can't breathe, open your mouth enough to talk, or freely move your head to look left, right, up, & down sufficient to see around you while you're riding without significant effort or the strap cutting off your breathe/blood supply to your brain, then it's too tight/small/wrong shape!!

To fit properly, a helmet should fit your head snugly (& so probably it'll need to be a bit tight when brand new, cos they WILL wear in a bit!) and the strap should be able to be reasonably snugly tightened without choking you. Once on & strap snugged up, do the following:

• shake your head vigorously - if the helmet moves much, it doesn't fit properly & could injure/paralyse/kill you if you have an accident!
    • nod your head vigorously - if the helmet moves much, it doesn't fit properly & could injure/paralyse/kill you if you have an accident!
    • hang your head down in front of you as if to rest your chin on your chest & reach back/over to grasp the back of the helmet at your neck, then tug as if to pull the helmet off - if the helmet moves much, pulls forward over your face, or the strap really chokes you enough to stop breathing, it doesn't fit properly & could injure/paralyse/kill you if you have an accident!
    • looking straight ahead, trying to hold your head still, grasp the helmet on both sides and twist each way - if the helmet moves much either way, it doesn't fit properly & could injure/paralyse/kill you if you have an accident!
    • if it's a full-face or modular helmet with a chin bar, look up, lean your head back, & grab the chin bar then push up & back as if to push the helmet off - if the helmet moves much, pushes up/back off your chin, pushes dangerously into the nape of your neck, or the strap really chokes you enough to stop breathing, it doesn't fit properly & could injure/paralyse/kill you if you have an accident!
    • with the helmet & your usual riding jacket/top on, look over your left shoulder, then your right shoulder, look up then look down, and thru this all, see how far you can turn &/or move your head before being forced to stop - a well fitting good quality helmet should let you reasonably look around yourself enough to fairly readily see/view the 180° or so sphere around, either side of, & in front of you without significant straining - anything better is a bonus, anything less is a risk to your safety.

Do you begin to see the commonality amongst all these?

A well fitting helmet WILL be a bit tight at first, so that it stands some chance of remaining snug throughout its life; it might even press your cheeks &/or forehead in a little, especially if new, but it shouldn't hurt within 20-60 mins; and it should be snug enough that it won't move much at all on your head during anything short of a high speed collision - if the helmet moves much or readily when it's on, or if it doesn't snugly fit your face/head/forehead appropriately to its style, then it doesn't fit properly & could injure/paralyse/kill you if you have an accident! It should be light enough that you can move around freely without it impeding that movement, and it shouldn't be able to be dragged off your head or cut off your breathing &/or blood supply to your head even if you do have an accident/get lifted up by your helmet! Many people mistakenly choose helmets that're too loose because they don't like the way they fit snugly, but by doing so, they are INCREASING their risk of being paralysed or killed if they're ever involved in a reasonably severe accident! That said, choosing a helmet that's TOO TIGHT is almost as bad as choosing one that's too loose because if it's too tight there's not enough 'give' left in the tightly compressed lining to absorb any shocks & so protect your brain from injury in the event of an accident! A comfortably snugly fitting 'tight when new' helmet, but one that doesn't hurt within 20-60 mins or so, & one that is light enough for you/your head & neck to carry it easily is what you want.... Good Luck finding one that does all those things without trying it on!

Over to you, and Good Luck on your helmet search and on your new Ryker! Welcome aboard!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2021 at 09:22 PM. Reason: nape of neck
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The helmet shouldn't be uncomfortably tight after twenty minutes or so, but it should be snug enough not to move when you nod or shake your head. Not a vigorous nod, but just a "normal" movement of your head. A new helmet will loosen a bit over time. I've been riding and buying helmets for over 50 years and I still HATE shopping for a new one. A lot of choices and a lot of different prices, but then again variety is a nice thing to have. Most helmets are DOT approved and some are Snell approved. DOT is a very good standard so no worries with one of those. Snell adds a couple of other tests that DOT doesn't, but that doesn't mean the DOT helmets are not up to the job. Have fun and be careful out there.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I recently bought a modular one too. And had the same issues with my jaw. I was advised from local club members I had 2 options. Wear it for 6 months and it will wear in. Or remove the liner and cut some foam out. I cut 50% of the foam out of mine on the sides. It still fits snug but now no pain. I’ve got an extra large and my head isn’t that big. No way im a 2xl. Some helmets are just tight.

We might have the same helmet!

Spyder Garage

Someone else mentioned a Cycle Gear store. They seem to be opening a lot of stores. I have purchased a few things from them and have been happy. The stores I have visited had an entire wall of helmets so you can get a pretty good look. I also think they are some how associated with Revzilla.

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Someone else mentioned a Cycle Gear store. They seem to be opening a lot of stores. I have purchased a few things from them and have been happy. The stores I have visited had an entire wall of helmets so you can get a pretty good look. I also think they are some how associated with Revzilla.

Poasttown
    Cycle Gear stores WILL let you try helmets on. I have two near me.

Spyder Garage

I just bought a new helmet, and my pick was either a Scorpion Exo-tech, or a shark evo one 2, Tried them both, but the shark didn't fit at all, tried the scorpion exo-tech, and it felt snug but comfortable.
    As stated in the other posts, fit before buying, else you have a helmet, that will cause much grieve, when in an accident....

What i love bout the scorpion, is that it's a modular helmet, where you flip the front completely back, when you are cruising, and at highwayspeeds, you close it completely.
    Installed a cardo freecom, and that works fine,even with the lid open
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Webbikeworld.com is a motorcycle gear review website. They have a LOT of info on helmets...sizing, fitment, styles, weights, brands.

I have worn HJC modular helmets since 2007 due to their being lighter weight than a lot and are reasonably priced on most of their line.
    I like that they have an eyeglasses groove to make it easier to slip on and off and wear your glasses comfortably while riding.

The thing I don’t like about them is the cheekpads. They are so fat and firm that it causes pain in the jaw pretty quick.
    With this helmet brand I have gone up a size but the cheekpads are still a problem. But the one-size-larger also accomodated my head slik which i wear to help keep the interior clean.
    Right now there are no smaller pads available for sale but they are supposed to be coming.
    In the meantime, while off the bike, I have squashed a couple of beefy towels inbetween the cheekpads to help break them in.
    This has helped a lot but I have threatened to cut the foam down myself just as another member did here in an earlier post. If the towels don’t get the pads down pretty soon I WILL get the knife and have at it.

I bought the HJC I-90 this time from Revzilla (where i always buy helmets). I liked the fit of the HJC Rpha 90 helmet better but it is more $$ than I wanted to spend at this time after just buying my 2021 RTL.

I do find that this I-90 is pretty quiet...maybe because the stupid cheekpads are so fat and seal up the gaps well..
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...