Spyder Garage

Default B.E.S.T warranty oil changes?

Hello everyone,

I purchased the extended B.E.S.T warranty for my 2020 Ryker the other day, and got a good deal on it.

I bought my 2020 last month and now have 230 miles on it. The manual says you must change the oil at one year or 6,000 miles. Being that my bike is one year old and sat on the dealership floor for a year, do I really need to change the oil?

I haven’t received my extended warranty paperwork yet, but thought I’d ask the question. I don’t want them to have any wiggle room should I need a major repair.

Spyder Garage

I have never counted the time a vehicle was on the showroom floor. Take one year from the day you started using it. Or, of course, the 6000 miles.

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing you had ~0 miles on it when you bought it? If that is the case, the oil hasn't been "used". So, you should be good to go. Also, just b/c it is a 2020, doesn't mean it was built in March 2020. SO, either way, you shouldn't have a problem.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sitting on showroom floor as no effect on the oil.
    However, I would do the first oil change at less than 1,000 miles

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ps#post1523580
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

The dealership you purchased the B.E.S.T. warranty from should have reported the VIN to BRP as part of the warranty sale. In olden days, like around 2014-15, BRP was quite slow about getting the paperwork to the Spyder owner. It was just a card with the owner's name, VIN and expiration date on it. My extended warranty expired unused in 2019 but I don't think BRP has changed the provisions of the program. As such, there is no relationship to the extended warranty and oil changes UNLESS you fail to change the oil and filter per the maintenance schedule and something goes wrong with the engine. Oil changes are routine maintenance and are not covered by the warranty. Many DIYers keep records of the oil changes they do and retain copies of receipts for parts. You do not have to use BRP XPS Synthetic Blend oil but you must use oil that meets at least one of the API service classifications specified on pg 98 of your operator's guide. No attempt to highjack the thread nor open an opinion contest on oil change frequency, but I probably wouldn't stretch the first oil change to 6,000 miles even though BRP does not specify a specific mileage for the first oil and filter change. I probably would do it at about 3,000 miles. Any sooner is a waste of money IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Changing oil and filter yourself will save a lot of money. I would change it at 1000, 5000 and all variable to 5000 after. 5000 intervals are easy to remember and certainly would not hurt.