Spyder Garage

Default Adding backrest to Corbin seat?

I bought my 2016 FS-3 second hand a few months ago. It came with a Corbin seat.

The seat has flaps covering what are obviously slots meant to accommodate a driver and a passenger backrest.

Can I simply acquire a Corbin backrest, say off of EBay, and just slip it in one of those the slots and be on my way? Or is there some extra support required that I should buy and add, too?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure someone has gone down this road before and will know the answer.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Yes .. Corbin uses a square post and you can buy generic ones on ebay for MUCH cheaper.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...1&_dcat=178031
    https://www.amazon.com/Removable-Adj...0954011&sr=8-6

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Well, I just went thru that hoop on my RT....... The issue is Corbin has a rectangular shaft that is proprietary. Anything you get off ebay will have a slightly smaller shaft... They will however, still work fine and include the adjustment screws needed to tighten and advance the backrest. Corbin's backrests are NOT really flexible in movement... either forward or back a few inches. I need lumbar support and the backrest must go down there for me. So if you have tried a CORBIN backrest and like them... buy it.... $$$$.... However, the ebay ones work as well at 1/4 the cost. I actually bought a Showchrome 41-168A backrest, bought a shaft only (from ebay - that was a PIA) and made one that fit just the way I needed for my low back, one that pushed me forward as I'm short. Lemme know if you need more info.

PS: does your Corbin have a drop down metal peg to hold the seat up? That's my next challenge.

BTW, under your leather coverings over the hole - is there a rectangular receptacle in there?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2021 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Spaces
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have the ebay one, hated it for years, finally got a Corbin. You want a cheap ebay one? I'll make you a good deal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    BTW, under your leather coverings over the hole - is there a rectangular receptacle in there?
    What's under the leather covering, Dave, is a hole in the raw foam. I don't see anything sturdier, which seems a little odd.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Should be a square tube in the Corbin under the leather flap

Spyder Garage

My cheap ebay one is a showchrome 41-168a and I love it !!! I'd sell my corbin backrest in a heartbeat!!