Spyder Garage

Question 2019 Ryker 900 oil leak

Bit of a weird one here. I have 3000 kms on my 2019 Ryker 900 and did the first oil change last weekend. Before I changed the oil, i noticed a drip of oil had formed on the large drain plug which I thought was odd. I'd just taken it out of storage (winter sucks in Canada!).

Anyway, changed the oil using the kit from BRP and all went well. Yesterday I went for a 150km ride and thought I smelt oil at one stop. This morning I checked underneath and the plastic skid panel was pretty covered in oil. I checked the oil using the procudure (warm up, check within 10 secs of shut off) and it was down just above the min line! *gulp*.

I tweaked the large drain plug and topped off the oil and we'll see what happens. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I was super careful when torqueing the drain plugs, used the new crush washers, etc. so struggling to think what is happening.

Thx

Spyder Garage

There is a good chance that the oil that is up on your skid plate is your old oil from draining. It's real common to have the old oil splatter up in there while draining. Being aware of this I role up an old rag or even a plastic shopping bag and tuck up between the skid plate and the bottom of the engine, around the skid plate opening. It's not perfect but it helps. Also unscrew the magnetic plug as fast as you can. That well let the oil drain (gush) straight down instead of squirting up to the side. Oil on the low side of the dip stick is 100x better than an over fill. Ride it a couple times then if you decide to add a LITTLE oil then add a VERY LITTLE bit of oil. OBTW that oil smell well go away. My 2019 Ryker (Rally) Manual states to add 3.7 Qts. Those kits are 3.5 Qts. Mine was on the low end of the dip stick also after changing. I never added anymore. (Hibernation time). I'll check it soon though.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Candmryder, that's super interesting! I did add some oil (not much) that brought the level up to around 3/4 of the acceptable range but I'm going to double check this now before going out again for a longer ryde. What you're saying makes perfect sense though as I couldn't see any leakage around the drain plug.

Thanks again, super helpful info!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also, if you take out the dip stick before you remove the drain plugs, the oil won’t splatter as much

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guppy View Post
    Bit of a weird one here. I have 3000 kms on my 2019 Ryker 900 and did the first oil change last weekend. Before I changed the oil, i noticed a drip of oil had formed on the large drain plug which I thought was odd. I'd just taken it out of storage (winter sucks in Canada!).

Anyway, changed the oil using the kit from BRP and all went well. Yesterday I went for a 150km ride and thought I smelt oil at one stop. This morning I checked underneath and the plastic skid panel was pretty covered in oil. I checked the oil using the procudure (warm up, check within 10 secs of shut off) and it was down just above the min line! *gulp*.

I tweaked the large drain plug and topped off the oil and we'll see what happens. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I was super careful when torqueing the drain plugs, used the new crush washers, etc. so struggling to think what is happening.

Thx
    BRP changed the oil refill capacity from 3.5 L on the 2019 model to 2.7 L for the 2020 & 21. They even changed the length and color of the dipstick. If you changed your with one of the new 3.0 L oil change kits it will appear that the oil level in your 2019 is low. In reality it is correct according to the revised specifications.

I changed the oil in my 2019 model Rally last week using a new BRP filter and 3 Quarts of 5W40 Synthetic oil. My 2019 model dipstick showed the oil level to be at the bottom of the crosshatch level on the stick (1/2 quart low) using the 2019 stick; this is the new specification. If you replace your yellow 2019 dipstick with the new longer orange 2020-21 stick it will show oil at the top of the fill line.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Reporting back in case anyone else has this. It looks like Candmryder was bang on. I left some cardboard underneath the bike for the past 24 hours and it's clean as a whistle so there's no leak. Given where things were and my own memory from when I pulled the 17mm plug, it must have been splashback which then was blown back during my ride. WOOHOO! I'm pretty happy about this as it's a "no problem found" and I will for sure be using the tip from Candmryder to put a rag or bag up there on the next change.

Thanks internet folk!

Spyder Garage

If the bike was sitting level when you removed the 17mm and 10mm plugs there shouldn’t have been any splatter. Did you make sure that you accounted for the used crush washers before installing the new ones? If you fail to remove the old ones before an ding the new ones I am sure you will get a leak. Check around the drains as sometimes they don’t drop out with the plug.

Spyder Garage

Do you know if Can-Am changed the oil level specs for the 600 also? Filled mine at 2.75 quarts per the 2019 specs and the level was just below the min mark. Took nearly 3.5 quarts to get it up to max. Tried my best to check it each time at operating temp within a few seconds of shutdown.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JopRyker View Post
    Do you know if Can-Am changed the oil level specs for the 600 also? Filled mine at 2.75 quarts per the 2019 specs and the level was just below the min mark. Took nearly 3.5 quarts to get it up to max. Tried my best to check it each time at operating temp within a few seconds of shutdown.
    I believe the 900 takes 3.5 quarts and the 600 takes 3 quarts. I'm basing that on the actual BRP oil change kits that they have for the 600 and the 900.