Spyder Garage

Default Wiring for a trailer - need to connect 2011 RT 9 pole to 5 pole trailer?

I have a 2011 RT with a 9 pole connection under the left saddle bag. I have an older trailer with a round 5 pole. How do I make this work?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2021 at 02:52 AM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leospyder View Post
    I have a 2011 RT with a 9 pole connection under the left saddle bag. I have an older trailer with a round 5 pole. How do I make this work?
    The trailer module in the early Spyders were prone to failure. So, the first thing to do is check to see if the module is still good before you spend time and $$ on adapting the connection. Use a voltmeter to check each of the pins. This diagram should help you determine what pins are what. If the module checks out pull the connector out from under the saddlebag and cut it off. Connect a new 5 wire female connector to wires A, B, C, D, F, G. Connect C & D together since they are the bake lights.

If the module is bad, come back and we'll see what's the best route to go. How handy are you with electrical wiring? How devoted are you to having separate left/right turn signals from the brake lights on your trailer? If you are willing to disable the amber turn signals and use the brake lights as turn signals your options will be a lot simpler.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)