Spyder Garage

Default SE6 Shifting on its own and not down shifting at all

I have a 2015 RTL 11000 miles that just started acting up the other day. It has trouble shifting up with the paddle, downshifting when I bring the bike to a stop, and it will occasionally shift on its own from 5th to 6th and 3rd to 4th. None of these things are consistent and I haven’t been able to repeat them on command, it just kind of does it’s own thing.
    We changed the oil at the beginning of last season with the recommended synthetic blend and put on about 2500 trouble free miles. We checked the oil level and it’s right where it should be. I’m planning on taking it to the dealer Tuesday but they’re saying it will be at least two weeks before they even touch it because it’s the beginning of the season.
    Any ideas or suggestions before I take it in and lose my bike for close to a month?

Spyder Garage

Accidentally touching shifter, they will automatically down shift not up. So somehow it’s received commands to do so. Some have had these troubles with thick winter gloves.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I think, there's a bad connection, in the paddle used for shifting, making now and then a short....
    don't think it's a glove thing, or else would it not be so random, I looked at the partslist, but cannot seem to find how the paddle up/down actually works.

Is there a cable breach, maybe due to placing a riser? Is there anything been changed, before the actual problem started?
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Accidentally touching shifter, they will automatically down shift not up. So somehow it’s received commands to do so. Some have had these troubles with thick winter gloves.
    My fingers and thumb were all wrapped around the grip and I was not wearing gloves. Nothing was touching or near the paddle.
    Editing to add: with it not downshifting on its own there is obviously something not doing what it’s designed to do. I’ve come to a complete stop multiple times now and still been in 6th gear which we all know shouldn’t be. During once instance of the bike shifting on its own my husband didn’t even have his hand on the handlebar so there’s no way anything touched the paddle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    I think, there's a bad connection, in the paddle used for shifting, making now and then a short....
    don't think it's a glove thing, or else would it not be so random, I looked at the partslist, but cannot seem to find how the paddle up/down actually works.

Is there a cable breach, maybe due to placing a riser? Is there anything been changed, before the actual problem started?
    No modifications have been made since I bought the bike almost three years ago. My husband and I both experienced this so it’s not a user error either.

Spyder Garage

Possible loose or malfunctioning gear position sensor problem?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Definitely hope dealer can fix & hopefully get you a loaner if they gonna have so so long.

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Some of the 15 RT's had a gear sensor recall. Had mine done but wasn't causing problems yet.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it's not a gear sensor problem then there is probably something gone haywire in the left handlebar grip module. The paddle depresses little bubble switches on the processor board, which then send digital signals via the CANbus to the transmission control module. There have been very few, if any, reports on here of any of the computer modules on the Spyder going bad, but some of the bubble switches on those boards have gone bad.

Others here have reported the gear position sensor is not very pricey and is relatively easy to repair. If you're handy you might just order the sensor and change it out yourself.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thought there would be a fault code showing up for this.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

If your shift lever feels like it does not return fully to center, you may have the same problem that I had.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...shifter+repair
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    If your shift lever feels like it does not return fully to center, you may have the same problem that I had.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...shifter+repair
    This feels like what’s going on here. I took it to the dealer this morning and got the run around by their service department. They did a quick lap around the parking lot and the guy came back and said the bike is fine, it’s doing this because I have “cruise assist” on. When I asked why it’s just started doing this when I’ve had the thing for three years he said it was because I don’t have the bike in “fully automatic mode. You know like a car?” Nice try dude but no.

It took my husband telling this guy that the problem initially happened to him so he’d take us seriously. They’re going to look it over and get back to me in a few weeks.

Did I mention this arrogant Jack a$$ is the service manager?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seesaw6089 View Post
    This feels like what’s going on here. I took it to the dealer this morning and got the run around by their service department. They did a quick lap around the parking lot and the guy came back and said the bike is fine, it’s doing this because I have “cruise assist” on. When I asked why it’s just started doing this when I’ve had the thing for three years he said it was because I don’t have the bike in “fully automatic mode. You know like a car?” Nice try dude but no.

It took my husband telling this guy that the problem initially happened to him so he’d take us seriously. They’re going to look it over and get back to me in a few weeks.

IMHO ---- RUN from this Stealer .... as fast as you can ....if they arn't crooks .... then they are morons .... choose which one is worse ..... Good Luxk .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO ---- RUN from this Stealer .... as fast as you can ....if they arn't crooks .... then they are morons .... choose which one is worse ..... Good Luxk .... Mike
    That would be great but they’re the only can am place around and they’re still an hour from me. When they’re done working on it I’ll be contacting the GM and the owner to make my frustrations known. This service manager has only been there since November and I don’t see him making it to this November with this attitude.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seesaw6089 View Post

yes you need a different dealer. No way a parking lot test for described issues.

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Seesaw, if they still have your bike I would go get it and find a new dealer, really!!! Good luck I hope this turns out better than I am thinking, even if I had to drive a couple hours!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2015 RTL with about 40000 miles and it has started doing the exact same thing with a twist......if your blinker is on and you are in 4th gear and push to cancel the blinker it shifts into 5th gear and same thing from 5th to 6th gear. Sometimes but not always it won't downshift at all on it's own but will work fine if you shift manually. While upshifting you sometimes have to hit the paddle 2-3 times to make it change. What do I need to get this resolved?

did you ever get this resolved? what did they do to fix this?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 12:32 PM.
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Spyder Garage

Mike, FWIW, the OP posted this in Apr 2021. Doesn't appear she ever came back since this thread.
    But from what I've read on this forum, you are probably looking at a left handlebar switch module problem.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

That would be the $700.00 part plus labor! Just my luck ! Oh well just spending the childrens inheritence
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Mike, FWIW, the OP posted this in Apr 2021. Doesn't appear she ever came back since this thread.
    But from what I've read on this forum, you are probably looking at a left handlebar switch module problem.
    Good catch. Even I missed that one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Of all days not to have (R) (N) or Manual Downshift was the day to go out and Celebrate Canada Day. I was not letting that stop me, so I pushed her out of the garage with my daughter and we went to town. First time with this issue and not a good thing if your are alone parked nose in somewhere. Funny thing is that by the time I drove the 20 KM to town , all was working again with my paddle shifter.

So now when I go to the dealer next week, I have a few things with my 2019 RT with 62km

1) Paddle shifter issue
    2) Recall temp repair of sprocket if on hand
    3) Check Key, Wrong key issue either key with (no start)
    4) Fault Codes indicating issue with left headlight assembly

The only good thing is that she is still under warranty for all of it apparently

I guess I be driving my MX5 for a bit
    Last edited by luminavanman; 07-01-2022 at 08:14 PM.
    2019 RT LIMITED , Intstalled Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Bit of an update, BRP says the following: Paddle shifter module on left handlebar has failed, My current lighting fault code issues: Instrument cluster failed, My Wrong key, Check Key issue: DESS has failed. Only good news is the pulley sprocket is good to go, Yay. Since Canada has suffered coast to coast internet issue, I have no time frame for repairs or parts until Monday and it was perfect riding weather. Not a happy camper, with only 61,000km on my RT has suffered a lot of issues and how the season, insurance and payments are ticking by the minute
    2019 RT LIMITED , Intstalled Phoenix Orange