Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Absolutely Amazing after Installing BajaRon sway bar!

Installed the BajaRon sway bar today. How can so many things improve at the same time? I salute you sir!

Oh, and a shout out to LaMonster for super fast shipping.

And I thank you all for convincing me...

20210410_181957 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/182341401@N05/]

Spyder Garage

Change your front tires to car tires and you go up one more level in handling..each mod ups the handling of the spyder and you just did the #1 upgrade..tires/shocks just ups the fun factor..Ron's sway bar should be a factory option.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice. So changing the front tires makes that much of a difference? I will have to research this for sure.

Spyder Garage

Tyres are also my next mod, still pondering bout the vredesteins quatrac, but I am a nice weather motorist, and between the michelin crossclimate..
    But have to agree with AZCANAM, it does make the bike a whole other beast. now it's actually point and shoot at twisties.

It's just amazing how BajaRon's swaybar, changes ride dynamics.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Based on advice and comments offered here, I swapped the front tires for Vrederstein Quatracs on my 2015 RT-S and recently added Ron's anti-sway bar and am very, very happy.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Having followed advise of many on this site, I switched to Q5’s on the front and added a Baja Ron sway bar! Coming this month will be a laser alignment, my local dealer in Albuquerque finally bought the tools needed to provide this service! All these improvements make the ride so much more enjoyable!

Spyder Garage

i put 2 in last week . what a big difference
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

What do you guys think about this combo? After reading through the threads, this seems to be the ticket. I wanted to maintain the "beef" in the rear end being that kind of guy so I chose the Kumho. Feedback would be appreciated.

tire by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/182341401@N05/]

Spyder Garage

I think that combination would work great! Two very good tire manufacturers and I agree with the Kumho for the rear. Think you will feel a much better ride once you have them installed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZCanAm View Post
    What do you guys think about this combo? After reading through the threads, this seems to be the ticket. I wanted to maintain the "beef" in the rear end being that kind of guy so I chose the Kumho. Feedback would be appreciated.

Do be aware that, especially as they age beyond about their half life (for most that'll be something like 10-15,000 miles or so ) the Kumho's tend to gradually wear into layers of compound that are a little harder than the brand new compound, so you might find you need to drop your tire pressure a little more (1 or 2 psi maybe?! ) in order to maintain the high degree of wet road traction they are capable of (if they aren't providing fantastic wet weather traction from the start, then check/lower your tire pressure a touch! )

But regardless of whatever pressure you are running, I suspect you'll find the Kumho an improvement in all respects over the OE spec Kenda, and if you are running it at or near the 'right' pressure for your load/riding conditions (I'd expect that to be somewhere between 14 psi min & 18 psi or so max ) then that'll be a 'great improvement' or possibly even better!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter & Don.
    For the moment I just ordered the front Vreds because I have not found a shop willing to mount the rear tire.
    Discount tires will mount and balance the fronts though. They will arrive tomorrow and be on the Spyder by Wednesday.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the Kumho and was not impressed. It was fine when it was brand new, but as Peter said, it got pretty scary when the tread started wearing down. I tow a trailer on most of our vacation rides, and I stopped in OH for the night just a few hours from home, because the tire had gotton so bad in the rain. Dry traction was still good.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I had the Kumho and was not impressed. It was fine when it was brand new, but as Peter said, it got pretty scary when the tread started wearing down. I tow a trailer on most of our vacation rides, and I stopped in OH for the night just a few hours from home, because the tire had gotton so bad in the rain. Dry traction was still good.
    I have been a big proponent of mounting car tires to Spyders from early on. Frankly, the OEM Kendas are atrocious. But I have found the same thing you mention to be true with some of the car tires I've tried. The Toyo Proxes TR1 was my 1st, and the best car tire I've used. It wore evenly across the full tread area, ran smooth and gave me good traction, wet or dry, all the way to the end. But this tire doesn't come in sizes that we can use anymore. The Falken 912 that I am running now came highly recommend. And it does fine in the dry. But gets very greasy in the rain. In my opinion, probably just about any car tire will work well in good weather. But not necessarily in the rain, or as they wear. Still, worlds better than the OEM Kendas and a worthwhile compromise for just about everyone.

Enter the Kenda Kanine. Kenda builds the OEM Spyder tires for BRP based upon BRP specs. Not NECESSARILY a Kenda issue. There was a 12 year patent or Non-Compete (not sure which) on them which has now expired. Kenda CAN build a decent tire. Now I know why they didn't for the Spyder. From the feedback I'm getting, which is admittedly somewhat scarce, these new Kenda Kanines may be the answer I've been looking for.

I am always looking for a better product or way to do things. Though car tires are a big improvement over the OEM Kendas. They, for me at least, have not been ideal. I really want to stay with the OEM tire sizes, which have become harder and harder to find in a car tire.

With a car tire you're always going to be trading traction for longer life. A car tire is always going to have a lot more pounds per square inch on the tread area built into the equation. So, for other than race tires, rubber compounds are harder. Traction, for a car, is still good because of the weight/pressure on the tread surface. Not so with a Spyder application. Especially in the rain where the rear tire on the Spyder is prone to hydroplane because it is very light with a wide tire.

For many, car tires are a great trade-off. As it was for me with the Toyo. But for me, I'd be willing to sacrifice some longevity for improved traction. Especially in wet conditions.

So, I am swapping all 3 tires out for the new Kenda Kanines. The Falkens I am running now are almost new. But I don't like them, so it isn't a big sacrifice and I want to know if the feedback I'm getting on the Kenda Kanines is accurate. It appears that Kenda has addressed the things I hate about the OEM tires.

#1, the weak tread area with just 2 plies on the OEM Kendas. This causes the rear tire to balloon out at speed, reducing the contact patch to about 2.5 inches. This is why they wear out so quickly in the middle. The Kanines have a 3 ply tread construction (car tires typically have 4 ply. But again, this is a weight carrying component). Will 3 plies be enough to resolve the ballooning, reduced contact patch, uneven wear issue? From feedback I've gotten, the answer seems to be yes. We'll see.

#2, many of the OEM Kendas are not round, (which you can't fix). And even if they are round, it takes a lot of weight to balance the wheel. From feedback I've gotten, this has also been addressed in the Kanine. Again, we'll see. I will know the answer to this soon as I plan to have them mounted this week.

#3, then we could talk about the cord failures with the OEM tires. Design or production flaw? We'll see.

The rubber compound on the Kanines (as with the OEM tires) should be better suited to the weight and traction needs of the Spyder. I am hoping that the Kanines are a good option for people, like me, who are willing to trade some tire mileage for better traction. I have not promoted or listed the Kanines yet. I want to run them first. But I do have a source for them. I've already sent a few sets out. It's early. But so far, customers have been happy.

I am hoping it doesn't take 12 years to get a decent tire for the Ryker!

I will keep you posted.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-13-2021 at 09:53 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your input Bajaron. I am now going to "wait-n-see" if the Kanine is the right tire to put on the rear. In the mean time my Vredestein's will be installed in the fronts soon.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Toyo Proxes T 185/55-15 up front. They do require adding clearance for the fenders easily done with a coupla 3/8" lock washers on the fender mounts which move the fenders toward the frunk. Details?
    to see MY SPYDER PAGE

ftires.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your input Bajaron. I am now going to "wait-n-see" if the Kanine is the right tire to put on the rear. In the mean time my Vredestein's will be installed in the fronts soon.
    I am really hoping they work out. I may be hoping too hard. We'll see...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have been a big proponent of mounting car tires to Spyders from early on. Frankly, the OEM Kendas are atrocious. But I have found the same thing you mention to be true with some of the car tires I've tried. The Toyo Proxes TR1 was my 1st, and the best car tire I've used. It wore evenly across the full tread area, ran smooth and gave me good traction, wet or dry, all the way to the end. But this tire doesn't come in sizes that we can use anymore. The Falken 912 that I am running now came highly recommend. And it does fine in the dry. But gets very greasy in the rain. In my opinion, probably just about any car tire will work well in good weather. But not necessarily in the rain, or as they wear. Still, worlds better than the OEM Kendas and a worthwhile compromise for just about everyone.

Enter the Kenda Kanine. Kenda builds the OEM Spyder tires for BRP based upon BRP specs. Not NECESSARILY a Kenda issue. There was a 12 year patent or Non-Compete (not sure which) on them which has now expired. Kenda CAN build a decent tire. Now I know why they didn't for the Spyder. From the feedback I'm getting, which is admittedly somewhat scarce, these new Kenda Kanines may be the answer I've been looking for.

I am always looking for a better product or way to do things. Though car tires are a big improvement over the OEM Kendas. They, for me at least, have not been ideal. I really want to stay with the OEM tire sizes, which have become harder and harder to find in a car tire.

With a car tire you're always going to be trading traction for longer life. A car tire is always going to have a lot more pounds per square inch on the tread area built into the equation. So, for other than race tires, rubber compounds are harder. Traction, for a car, is still good because of the weight/pressure on the tread surface. Not so with a Spyder application. Especially in the rain where the rear tire on the Spyder is prone to hydroplane because it is very light with a wide tire.

For many, car tires are a great trade-off. As it was for me with the Toyo. But for me, I'd be willing to sacrifice some longevity for improved traction. Especially in wet conditions.

So, I am swapping all 3 tires out for the new Kenda Kanines. The Falkens I am running now are almost new. But I don't like them, so it isn't a big sacrifice and I want to know if the feedback I'm getting on the Kenda Kanines is accurate. It appears that Kenda has addressed the things I hate about the OEM tires.

#1, the weak tread area with just 2 plies on the OEM Kendas. This causes the rear tire to balloon out at speed, reducing the contact patch to about 2.5 inches. This is why they wear out so quickly in the middle. The Kanines have a 3 ply tread construction (car tires typically have 4 ply. But again, this is a weight carrying component). Will 3 plies be enough to resolve the ballooning, reduced contact patch, uneven wear issue? From feedback I've gotten, the answer seems to be yes. We'll see.

#2, many of the OEM Kendas are not round, (which you can't fix). And even if they are round, it takes a lot of weight to balance the wheel. From feedback I've gotten, this has also been addressed in the Kanine. Again, we'll see. I will know the answer to this soon as I plan to have them mounted this week.

#3, then we could talk about the cord failures with the OEM tires. Design or production flaw? We'll see.

The rubber compound on the Kanines (as with the OEM tires) should be better suited to the weight and traction needs of the Spyder. I am hoping that the Kanines are a good option for people, like me, who are willing to trade some tire mileage for better traction. I have not promoted or listed the Kanines yet. I want to run them first. But I do have a source for them. I've already sent a few sets out. It's early. But so far, customers have been happy.

I am hoping it doesn't take 12 years to get a decent tire for the Ryker!

I will keep you posted.
    Well BajaRon,
    As you know I could not be happier with the Vredestein's in size 165/60/15 I put on the front wheels.
    Since the dealer is willing to mount an OEM similar tire for "free", I decided to take a chance and put the Kanine on the rear. Since the tire is $100 installed why not?

The Kanine will be installed on April 29th. I will provide feedback for sure. Stay tuned...

Spyder Garage

Well BajaRon,
    As you know I could not be happier with the Vredestein's in size 165/60/15 I put on the front wheels.
    Since the dealer is willing to mount an OEM similar tire for "free", I decided to take a chance and put the Kanine on the rear. Since the tire is $100 installed why not?

The Kanine will be installed on April 29th. I will provide feedback for sure. Stay tuned...
    Awesome! I am happy to get any feedback I can. I'm not saying car tires are a bad idea. The right car tire can work very well. The problem has been the dwindling supply in sizes that fit the Spyder. And zero alternatives for the Ryker. I am hoping that the Kanines prove to be a reliable alternative giving everyone another option.

I am encouraged by the, so far, positive reviews.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone noticed the improved (IMO) fender gap with the Vred 165/60/15? To me another benefit.

20210416_150700 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/182341401@N05/]
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone noticed the improved (IMO) fender gap with the Vred 165/60/15? To me another benefit.
    'Improved' in what way??

Larger? Smaller? Tire less recessed into the wheel well? Or further out of the wheel well/filling the space available better?? Enquiring minds want to know what it is that you see as being 'improved' by fitting those Vredesteins??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Much like with cars, most people prefer less of a gap between the fender and the top of the tire. Usually an optical illusion of your car being lower. So it's not the tire, it is the tire size. Although in my opinion the Veredestein is a better looking tire than oem. Sorry about the confusion.

Edit: So much for a picture being worth a thousand words.

Spyder Garage

Much like with cars, most people prefer less of a gap between the fender and the top of the tire. ......
    ...... Sorry about the confusion.

Edit: So much for a picture being worth a thousand words.

I thought it'd be that AZ, and I too appreciate the way they sorta 'fill' the available space more

Just wasn't sure if that was what you were referring to, instead of maybe one of those other points, or even how the tire has a 'better looking' tread, or anything else besides..... I just didn't wan't to assume it was that, cos we all know what that does!

And BTW, your Spyder does look pretty good! The angle you've got those foot-plates on even enhances the 'speedy' look!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 10:30 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I just put the GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43 (T-SPEED RATED) - SIZE: 215/60R15 on the rear to go along with the Federal Formoza AZ01s on the front, that also has BajaRon's HD sway bar and shock adjusters. The General corrected my speedo that was off by three MPH at 65 to being now only two MPH off. I was hoping for more of a correction. Did a 20 mile test ride and the General in very smooth at 20 PSI. Will maybe play with that going down a little more. All I can say is this is not the trike we bought 6 months ago. I have put 5000 miles on it just doing day trips.

Here is the inflation chart for the 215/60R16
    Tire Size---------- 26 psi -----29 psi --32 psi --35 psi ----36 psi
    215/60R15 94 SL 1131 lbs 1235 lbs 1336 lbs 1435 lbs 1477 lbs (94 SL)

As you can see each drop of 3PSI is bringing the load capacity down about 100 pounds. So at 20 PSI the load capacity is still over 900 lbs.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I thought it'd be that AZ, and I too appreciate the way they sorta 'fill' the available space more

Just wasn't sure if that was what you were referring to, instead of maybe one of those other points, or even how the tire has a 'better looking' tread, or anything else besides..... I just didn't wan't to assume it was that, cos we all know what that does!

And BTW, your Spyder does look pretty good! The angle you've got those foot-plates on even enhances the 'speedy' look!
    Thanks so much Peter. Next I am thinking about that Elka stage 2 rear shock. Or does anyone think I should do the Fox out back?? I think the Fox podium 1.5's do a good job up front but the rear feels like it could be much improved.

Spyder Garage

Today I installed a Fox RC2, got a good deal, from a dealer who was in the midst of a move to a new venue,(else I would have bought Wilbers) been fiddlin with the settings this afternoon, and I am impressed.
    Ride is better, not bottoming out when riding two up, and the ease of setup is also good. Still looking for the sweet spot, when riding solo, but AZCanam "the rear does need to be improved"
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black