Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Range 'Distance to Empty' stopped working??

The Range (distance to empty) on my 2020 Ryker has stopped working. It was fine for the first 6 months, but now sits around 105 miles. It does toggle up and down about 10-15 miles depending on driving conditions, but doesn't go up or down regardless of how many miles I drive, or after a fill up. Bike has been in the repair shop for almost a month now, but I can't get them to accept there is a problem and as this is still under warranty, I'd rather not take it back. I have contacted BRP, but am having very little success with them. On instructions from BRP, the Repair shop have done some electrical checks on the fuel sensor and tell me this is OK. I suggested they take out fuel and check the Range before and after. They did this and it didn't change, but they tell me it will stay the same until it has been driven (and they don't seem prepared to do this). I don't understand their answer as the Range immediately changes when I fill it up, so I would assume it does the same if fuel is taken out. Any suggestions for the cause of the problem or what can be done to convince/show the repair shop there is a problem would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I know this isn't what you want to hear but if your bike has been in the shop for a month and this is the only problem I would recommend getting it out, forget about that "feature", and start riding. I've had my bike for over 2 years, almost 6,000 miles and I have never even looked at the "miles to go". I reset the trip meter every time I fill up and use that. This is around my 36th bike and I have always used the "mileage" method. This includes back before gas gauges when they had a reserve you could go to and even when they started putting gas gauges on them. I glance at the gauge sometimes but don't trust them. It's getting riding weather here in Texas and if they don't fix it pretty soon, I would blow it off and start riding. The Hill Country has great riding so enjoy!
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

I've had a lot of machines in my riding life, but the fuel gauge on these Rykers are by far the worst that I have ever seen. With the poor accuracy of these gauges, they'd be better off not having one. The fuel bars on mine shows full until I reach a little less than half a tank or until I'm down to about 1.5 gallons, then and only then will it start to move downward. It was the same with the demo model that I test rode at the dealership, it showed a half tank when pulling out of the parking lot and ran out of gas about 500 yards down the road.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Even though it would be some distance to travel you might want to try another shop...the one I am suggesting is Coyote Powersports at Boerne...just south of me in Kerrville. Rocky, the head tech, seems to be pretty good at his job. You might call over there and see if you can get him on the phone.
    Good luck...let us know how this story ends.
    Carla
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I'm awaiting a new sending unit for my RT's fuel gauge. It went totally whacky, both gauge and 'miles to empty'. When the sending unit was diagnosed by the dealer, I requested that my bike not be held for parts. If necessary, I agreed to pay the re-assembly fee to get the bike back. If it had stayed at the dealer, I wouldn't have been riding for two months. As it turned out, they didn't charge for re-assembly since it was only one panel. It remains to be seen if the sending unit fixes the gauge.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I'm awaiting a new sending unit for my RT's fuel gauge. It went totally whacky, both gauge and 'miles to empty'. When the sending unit was diagnosed by the dealer, I requested that my bike not be held for parts. If necessary, I agreed to pay the re-assembly fee to get the bike back. If it had stayed at the dealer, I wouldn't have been riding for two months. As it turned out, they didn't charge for re-assembly since it was only one panel. It remains to be seen if the sending unit fixes the gauge.
    Thanks. Do you know how they established the problem was the sending unit? As far as I know (or at least all they have told me) is that they have done a resistivity check on the fuel sensor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryRider View Post
    Thanks. Do you know how they established the problem was the sending unit? As far as I know (or at least all they have told me) is that they have done a resistivity check on the fuel sensor.
    I don't know what they did. The manual says to measure the resistance in the full and empty positions of the float. The 'miles to empty' is computed by the ECU and it uses the fuel gauge reading at turn-on. It is re-calculated periodically while riding, and depending on what your current fuel consumption is and the current gauge reading is, it can change pretty dramatically.

I'm not sure my sensor is bad, but it is what the dealer said. The way mine acts makes me think it's a dirty or poorly connected connector somewhere. You can try disconnecting each connector between the sensor and the gauge, blowing out the dust, and giving the contacts in the connectors a very light coat of silicon grease (or vaseline) to seal them. Connect and disconnect them several times to 'wipe' the contacts. It may solve your problem (and mine).
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker display

A while back I posted an issue about the distance to empty on my Ryker not working properly. Tests were run on the fuel gauge resistivity, and BRP report everything is within specifications, so, their conclusion was/is there is no problem with the unit. (They did even swap out the fuel sender - which made no difference).
    Attached is the picture of the display showing this from full to about 130 miles.
    I scratch my head trying to understand how BRP can say this is fine.
    Has anyone else seen something like this, and, if the problem is not in the fuel tank, any suggestions what could be the cause?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

This is exactly what mine has done from the beginning. If you run it down low, miles to go will likely disappear when you get below 20. I suppose its better than believing you have 5 miles left but then getting stranded. Lucky for me I was almost home when this happened. I had a gas can at home and so did not go the extra miles to the gas station.
    2019 Rally , BLACK

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately your observations are "normal" for the Ryker due to poor design of the fuel level sending unit. From your owner's manual:

Due to the fuel tank configuration,
    the fuel level indicator will
    indicate a full tank during a long period
    before showing a lower level of the
    indicators. The "Distance To Empty"
    information is more accurate to determine
    if you have enough gasoline to
    reach your destination.