Spyder Garage

Default Do techs have to be certified by canam

Do the techs at the dealership have to certified or have factory training or hand a Manuel told to go at it??? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Do the techs at the dealership have to [be] certified [&/]or have factory training or [are they just] hand[ed] a Manual [&] told to go at it??? Thanks
    [My edits of your post - I hope that's what you meant?! ]

They should, but are any/they all? No!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some do and some don't. If they have a tech that is certified, his certification will be posted in the service department. Check the date and make sure it's not 20 years old.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Some do and some don't. If they have a tech that is certified, his certification will be posted in the service department. Check the date and make sure it's not 20 years old.
    Unless you have a 20 year old bike!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Most dealers are proud to display tech certifications in the service area..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Unless you have a 20 year old bike!!!
    You're going to be hard pressed to come up with a 20 year old Spyder. And if they are not Spyder certified, it doesn't count.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The answer to the question, some are, some are not.

Backstory: When Spyder first came out (2008 or so), dealers were required to have "certified" mechanics to work on them. They were sent to a "school." I believe it was somewhere in Wisconsin.

Problems: Mechanics come and go. A dealer that sells a minimum of Spyders, usually does not have enough action to keep a full time certified mechanic on board. In bigger cities/states with more than one dealer, there may be other jobs available at higher pay.

As time passes, the "certified" mechanics thing was mostly overlooked. Those dealers that do have them usually post the certificates on the wall. The warning to look at the dates is right on.

My dealer proudly had the Platinum Dealer sign posted on their front door. However, it was from more than 5 years previous.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Most dealers are proud to display tech certifications in the service area..
    Quite expensive class, so dealership may send one master tech to get certificate; then teach the rest of shop.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everyone seems to be on the same page with this post, for now anyway. Unusual though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Everyone seems to be on the same page with this post, for now anyway. Unusual though.
    I think we are always on the same page. Just not necessarily on the same side of the same page...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think we are always on the same page. Just not necessarily on the same side of the same page...
    Different color highlighters

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I think they should be but at least 1 should be a mandatory requirement. Some of them are very questionable to say the least.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

the up to date certified staff person is the difference between a good dealer and a so-so dealer in my mind...
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Back in the '60s and early '70s working in my Father's garage during my teen years, I always thought my Father was being a micro-manager because he was constantly looking over my shoulder - my brother's as well. Had a chat with him many years later and asked how it was that an unlicensed young person could work on a car and it was alright. He mentioned that the looking over my shoulder aspect was really him inspecting everything we did, and as long as the work was to his satisfaction, he never said anything to us - we were doing the work under his license. When something was not quite right, he would mention it in a very diplomatic way, we would correct the issue and all was well. Dad had a very good clientele base because he was very particular.

Today's shops, depending on location and client base, having a person up to date and certified regarding a product is a cost/benefit ratio aspect that can be expensive, and without a return on investment, can be hard for a business to justify the expense. Not easy for a shop nowadays to strike a good balance on what is required.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

And we are still hearing about salesman and service departments telling people to come in for the 600 mile servicing. That went the way of the dinosaurs with the advent of the 1330/3. If I heard that from a dealer, I would have second and third thoughts about what kind of service I would be getting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Do the techs at the dealership have to certified or have factory training or hand a Manuel told to go at it??? Thanks
    Manual? What manual? Do they have to be able to read, too?
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I took a truck one time to the dealer for a tranny problem, when the guy took it for a test drive came back then came out of the parts area with a fist full of bearings and a tec manual I got scared!!! On my way out I bought my own book on that truck,, used it alot!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A poor service department can destroy a dealership. If the dealership is fortunate enough to survive, it takes years to do so. Don't ask me how I know this.

Spyder Garage

Quality service and management build a dealership. Parts provide the profit. In large industry and small.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Likely a good thing most of you have no idea of what happens behind the scenes in aviation...

In general, most industries that require technicians to have technical expertise beyond reading a code and installing a new part, are struggling to find quality oriented and qualified techs. Aviation, from the manufacturers floor, to the techs accomplishing routine inspections and maintenance is struggling in the same way. Sadly, the current longtime experienced guys are retiring early or not wanting to work full time or prefer to work by themselves on longer term projects to lessen rework and arguments from these newer techs. Sad, very sad, but very real.

Spyder Garage

Wow, I think they should be but my gut feeling is no, that’s the reason why we see so many dealer horror stories here. I’ve got absolutely zero experience working in motorcycle shops but I do have the past 31 years of my life working in GM dealers as a master tech there. I can tell you unfortunately it’s all about speed and profit sometimes. Techs are paid by the job and not the hour... that’s why so many stories of no problem found when forum members take their bikes in. Simply put, if there’s no obvious issue the tech will stop there. They aren’t paid for digging to find a problem. Example, “whatever” sensor pays half hour labor to replace but may take 2 hours to reproduce that intermittent failure. Tech is only paid that half hour even though they have 2.5 hours invested. Not fair but that’s the way it works. Very few techs will dig for that intermittent problem! The good ones will but they few and far between. That brings up another problem.... the good ones, certified and trained, bring a higher rate than the others.
    Why does that matter? When you bring your bike in for service, oil change, inspection, tires etc it most likely will NOT go to that top trained tech. Service writers are paid bonuses to keep their “effective labor rate” down and this is done by giving lower skilled jobs to lower skilled techs (as a result of lower skills they are paid lower rates). Thus, that hundred dollar an hour rate is worth more to the service advisor if they give your bike to a $20 per hour tech as opposed to a $35 per hour tech... that’s just the way the pay system works.
    The lower paid (and less trained) tech has ZERO incentive to increase training because, if they do, all they will get is more difficult jobs. Keep the training low and all they get is oil changes, brakes, tires etc.
    Just offering some insight....
    2018 F3S , Black