Spyder Garage

Default Comments and opinions welcome.... is the 2021 worth the upgrade?

I love my 2019 RTL.... But now the look and feel of the 2021 model is calling out to me. Is it worth the upgrade for just a couple model years? Aside from the obvious visible changes, does anyone have any pros or cons to consider between the 19 and 21? At this point, price isn't an obstacle as I've been offered a sweet deal for my current RTL but I don't want to give it up just to regret it later.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to say this is a road only you can pass!! It's your pocket book, and if you like the looks and feel of the new one, then you will be kicking yourself if you don't jump on it!! Hell if you jump and don't like it you can always go backwards and buy down! I say jump, you'll love it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the 2020 RTL, no upgrade on the 21 that would cause me to do a trade, even the sea to sky, but that's just me 'cause I'm happy with the machine I have. Would any circumstance change my mind? Maybe if had a boat load of $ in the bank account and even then I'd really have to think about it.

Spyder Garage

I have been looking at and extensively riding Spyder RTL’s since 2018 but was very reluctant to give up my Gold Wing GL 1800 trike... she was so powerful, smooth, reliable, and set up just for me. I test-rode a 2014 and actually traded for it although it had the wormhole rear trunk. It puked in my garage the first day I had it and the dealer agreed to void the deal. Next I test-rode a 2018 RTL. Dealer couldn’t sell it and I badgered him test-riding it several times at over an hour each time... we couldn’t come to a deal on it and I left it and its wormhole trunk with him.
    I moved and started in with another dealer who was so informative about the Spyder...when the 2020’s came out I was thoroughly impressed with the new seating feel, the leg area, floorboards and the roomy rear trunk...no more wormhole ...plus he was able to explain all the changes for this model year. I left it there waiting on one year to get past the new model problems. This February I pulled the trigger on the 2021 and am very happy with it so far. I did not test drive it...bought it site unseen in the box. The ride home from the dealer was just WOW! Not near the twitchy ride as the others I had ridden...so smooth over bumps.
    I did add the driver backrest and Helibars to customize my comfort level..the stock handlebars kept me leaning forward to reach plus they were so wide for my shoulders.. there was big-time pain in about an hour’s ride. The smooth ride and handling are excellent now...I am impressed! And the large rear trunk... so much room for my “stuff”. Eventually I will replace the OEM Kenda tires with a tire suggested by the forum members out here.
    A few weeks later BRP came to this dealer with demo rides on the Sea-to Sky special edition. I thought the seat on my 2021 RTL was really nice...but the special edition’s seat is even more comfortable....but not enough for me to buy that comfort seat for my bike.
    Let us know what you decide.
    Carla
    I am glad I waited for this 2021 RTL Spyder.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are a few big differences between the 2014-2019 RT and the 2020+ RT. First is the MUCH better leg room. The main reason why I traded my 2018 RTL for my current 2021 RT is that. I felt cramped on the 2018. Another big difference is the handlebars. I was reaching for the stock bars on the 2018 and the ONLY solution was to invest $600 in Tri Axis bars and another $600 in labor to swap them out. (I know some here have done the work but it's VERY labor intensive and you HAVE to know what you're doing.) The 2020+ RTs use any of the F3 bars (except the drag bars) (plus the Helibars). None of the F3 bars are more than $150 and they can be found barely used for much less than that. (I just sold a short reach bar with less than 100 miles on it for $75, shipped.)

You sit about an inch lower on the current gen, too, although that's not really something you feel. The drivetrains are identical on both generations. Personally, I think the 2020+ looks better and rides a little smoother than the previous gen.

I'd say, unless you got a screaming deal on your 2019, you might want to wait another year or 2 to trade up or you could lose your arse in the trade. (I got one of those deals on my 2018 so I was good.)

Spyder Garage

I traded my 18 RTL for a 20 last spring and am glad I did! The new look,colors and features are great. I particularly like the bigger boards and re-positioned brake pedal.

Spyder Garage

I'm trading my 2015 RTS SM6 for a 2021 RT Marsala Dark Edition ,I pick it up Tuesday night.

It has so much more room for me than my 2015 . My 2015 was an SM6 so I was stuck in that one position all the time. I hope I like the SE6 semi automatic, never had an auto bike.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Not even a thought meriting idea for me. I own what I have, it is configured exactly as I want it, and it hasn't enough miles, 71K, on the clock to justify shucking out a lot of bucks or taking on the debt to get rid of it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Trade in wise you’ll take a sizable hit. I would wait another year or two when a major mechanical upgrade (engine/tranny) appears.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

after nearly 70K on my 2014RTL and all of the improvements of the 2021 I made a good deal and so far am loving the new ride.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default swapped 2019 for a 2021

Joe,
    I agree with those above who are impressed with the 2020-21. I traded my 2019 for a 21 RTL for the more comfortable seats, much improved floor boards and more options with handlebars. I did not expect, but am very pleased with the much smoother highway ride and the stability traveling down the road. Since purchase I have installed stock F3 handlebars that move my hands back 2" and up 2". Also installed the rider's backrest (the one on my 2019 would not fit the new style seat). BTW I got the handlebars for $105 from eBay. The backrest was not in stock with no anticipated restock date so the only choice was to find one in stock at a dealer. After a 300 mile round trip I had my new backrest. Took all of 20 minutes to install. Short answer, I'm very happy that I traded my 2019 with 6,500 miles on my new 2021.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the newer rides are more comfortable for the taller folks because their wallets are much thinner now. LOL For now anyway, I'm staying with my 14 RT until I can't ride any longer or my spyder won't run any longer, whichever comes first. My ride is covered with so many improvements and add-ons that I'd never be able to recoup any of their value on a trade-in. Besides it's not necessarily the machine your on (although it does help), it's the experience you derive from the freedom of the open road that nonowners will never understand.

Spyder Garage

I believe the question was between the 2021 versus the 2019. Serious differences in the platform from my perspective. I've owned a 2016 RTL, a 2016 F3SS and now have a 2021 RTL. The 2021 is simply the finest bike I've owned from every aspect. Starting with the looks, everything seems very well thought out, the storage is 100% better, the floorboards, the ride, etc. When I first saw one (2020) on the showroom floor I thought it looked like something from BMW or Honda just due to the lines and how finished it looked. My take, if you're getting a good offer on your 2019, do the deal and get the 2021.
    2016 Spyder F3-L Special Series
    2016 Spyder RT Special Series

Spyder Garage

Not an RT rider currently. Have owned three though. 2010, 2011, and 2014. Two 998/2 and one 1330/3. The 20 and 21 are updated from the previous 2014 design. Those that have bought them, like them.

We went back to one year old models but new. Now have 2019 and 2020 F3L's. Same engine, but different design.

Would I trade a 2019 RT for a 2021 RT. Most likely not. Not enough change for me to warrant the newest and bestest. When I started out with Spyders...I bought early, and I bought often. 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2019 & 2020. The last two were kept years. 2011 RT traded off in 2019. 2014 RT traded off in 2020.

The disposable income is not what it used to be. We are probably on our LAST Spyders...but I have made that statement before too.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Clearly you want the new style so just do it!
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I went from my first Spyder 2019 RTL w/ 18000 miles to a 2021 RTL. I really liked the new style, handle bars, removable tour pack, larger running boards and LED lights just for starters. Since I have traded I can't stop spending money on this new RTL. Heli Bars, front aux light, front fender running and sequential turn signals, handle cuff and phone holder, cup holder, Baja Ron stabilizer, Garmin Zumo XT w/mount, USB power (for phone and GPS), and I just found a brake light module for flashing brake lights. I have an appointment for 22nd for laser alignment. I think I'll be done after that. Oh wait, I just ordered a new rear tire because the first 2 or 3 places I checked they were out of stock and the price was already $20 higher than last year when I bought one. (Kanine). So to answer your question I'd do it again, love the new RTL. Already at 600 miles.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Oh, one more thing, the radio reception is way better on the 2021 than my 2019. The front trunk is bigger. I can fit my full face helmet in the right saddle bag on the 21. The glove box is not as usable on the 21 as the 19, mostly because the BRP connect and 3.5 audio jack are in it. I guess that was three more things. LOL
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I went from a 14 to a 20.

It LOOKS much better, but that is about taste.

The extra storage on the Limited is helpful.

It rides about half way between an F3 and 2014-19 RT.

It was less comfortable for me (I'm short) until I got the Lamonster brake pedal riser and different handlebars, now I find it much more comfortable.

You can get to the gas cap without interfering with who or what is attached to your back seat.

If money isn't a motivating factor, I love mine so much more, but this isn't at all something you need to do.

Before you make any decision, absolutely ride it and see how you feel.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I currently ride a 19 RTL and am considering this purchase myself. Mostly for the changes in seat configuration and passenger room since I mostly ride with my wife. The biggest thing holding me back are the colors, none of them really grab me. I am hoping they come out with something different soon.
    Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am currently on my 3rd spyder. Started out with a 2014 RT. I loved the bike, but I hated the rear trunk. My dream was for it to be removable and only used 5% of the time. I wanted something sporty, so I picked up a 2012 RSS to go along with it. I loved the bike, but it got really hot in the summer and that was a negative for me. Then the 2016 F3T came out and I thought it (and all the F3 series) was the ugliest thing on the road. Then I test rode one and was in love. Back then, the F3T and even the 2016 F3 limited had the larger rear sprocket and that little bit made it feel like a different machine. I was, and am still disappointed in the small frunk space, but I lived with it. Then last year, my 2 riding buddies went down and purchased 2 2020 RT Limiteds. For me it was love at first sight. It had all the things that I wanted in a spyder. I told the wife about it and she said, "go ahead if you really want one". After taking one on a test ride, I was very pleased with the much smoother power delivery and ride. But the hooligan in me wanted the better acceleration of my F3T. After seeing a few 2020's on the display that had sit out for about 2 months, I noticed there was rust on some bolts and assumed that they must have been out of a different grade material than the earlier models. I also looked at the cat on a couple, and they looked older than the one on my 2016 bike. So I decided to hold onto my 2016 F3T for another few seasons until a new power train comes along. And instead, I upgraded my 2 wheeler so that I could have 2 bikes that I felt better about taking on longer rides.
    Say hello to my BMW K1600 B.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

WOW!
    this is the same issue that is going through my mind presently.. i have a 2018 RTL in cherry condition, however, I saw a 2021 RTL (black and red) in my dealer's showroom and now have a serious itch to trade up????? I have been in contact with the IMotorsports person on a net trade difference AND am taking my 2018 unit to my regular dealer tomorrow to see what the net number would be.. after I get a number from both parties I may get out of this mood????? Oh ya, my present warranty expires the end of this month also so I have to decide real soon or purchase an extended warranty.. thanks for listening.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    I currently ride a 19 RTL and am considering this purchase myself. Mostly for the changes in seat configuration and passenger room since I mostly ride with my wife. The biggest thing holding me back are the colors, none of them really grab me. I am hoping they come out with something different soon.
    Chris
    Funny, the Red was exactly what I was wanting and waiting for -- it's one of several reasons I didn't want to wait.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Well... I can't thank everyone enough for the comments and valuable insight. Just letting you know -- after a lot of thought (and some persuasive support from the wife...��) I pulled the strong today! Actually, as fate would have it, the original unit I had my eye on ended up being sold and the dealer didn't have any more and wasn't getting any in that color. But I ended up finding exactly what I was looking for at another dealer (even though 200 miles away...) But ended up saving an additional $2k on the deal!!! It had to be fate! ��

I pick it up in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes!

Spyder Garage

A little late for the comments, but this year my wife and I decided to become a two-Spyder family. We purchased her a new 2021 Spyder RTL while I will remain primary on our 2017 Spyder RTL. The 2021 definitely rides smoother and has more comfort features but I can remain happy with my 2017 for a few more years. So far, I'm not a fan of BRP Connect but if Can-Am would ever allow for Google/Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to integrate into the dashboard...that would have me consider updating sooner rather than later.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights