Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How to tell when it is time to replace your battery

To avoid being stranded someplace, how can one tell when it is time to replace a battery? Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately we don't always get a warning. I rode my RT three weeks ago and it started and ran just fine. I have a digital volt gauge and all was well according to the gauge. A week later I wanted to move it out of the garage for more work room and it was dead. I mean DEAD. No lights, no dash, no nothing. A new battery did the trick. That being said, sometimes you may notice the bike seems to crank over a bit slower or hesitate a bit before cranking. My battery was four years old, some get more years, some get less, but I start thinking about replacement at the four year mark in all my bikes. With all of the electronics on todays bikes and cars batteries just don't seem to give much warning like they used to.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

If that is a concern, replace the battery based on calendar months and aligned with when your ride season begins. Depending on where your trips take you, replacing the battery every two years would seem reasonable. Install it correctly and ensure non loosening of the terminals.

Would also recommend purchasing a spare or two of the relays within the fuse boxes. Easy to replace and those can fail randomly from use, but are quite reliable. Downside being, when you need one, they might be difficult to find locally.

Spyder Garage

Load test it. Not a voltage check. It will show a fail long before it leaves you stranded. Most of the time that is. There is always a small chance of a failure without warning. But that is rare. The average battery, as long as the battery has been treated properly, will last 7 or 8 years. But run it dead a couple times and it is junk.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

IMO, the best protection against getting stranded by a dead battery is to purchase a portable jump starter like a Rugged Geek or something of that ilk. They are small, getting smaller, and easily incorporated into one's on-road tool kit. Not only has it bailed me out on my Spyder but also my wife and her Toyota highlander. Wouldn't leave home without it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    IMO, the best protection against getting stranded by a dead battery is to purchase a portable jump starter like a Rugged Geek or something of that ilk. They are small, getting smaller, and easily incorporated into one's on-road tool kit. Not only has it bailed me out on my Spyder but also my wife and her Toyota highlander. Wouldn't leave home without it.
    ..... This makes the most economical sense ..... You get the most life out of your battery this way .... If you have to jump it ( twice ) then get a load test to be sure. .... Many folks buy batteries after 3 years even tho they haven't had any indication of battery issues .... Lithium battery chargers are now a very low cost option .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just considering the battery, if your Spyder/Ryker shows ANY sign of slowing how quickly it spins the engine while starting, then it's at least time to load test the battery! The bad news is that the slowing bit can be very gradual & easy to miss cos you just get used to it; and also, while it's a good idea to keep your battery in a good stat of charge, always running a battery tender can hide this, cos it leaves your battery with a surface charge for the 'first start' at home, then it might leave you in the lurch if you stop for anything more than a few minutes once you're out & ryding!!

Apart from using a 'proper' Load Tester, you can use a simple & inexpensive multi-meter to read the voltage in your battery to get some idea of how healthy it is, but to do this you really should make sure to take a reading on the battery after it's been sitting (resting ) for a while - at least a few hours since it was last run or even overnight (without any external charging ) A fully charged 12V battery in good condition should show a resting voltage (a few hours after removing any charging device) of 12.9 volts or a little better (anything much over 14 volts or so is suspect for a whole 'nuther set of reasons! ) and a dead flat battery will likely read 12.0 volts or less . That said, if your Spyder's AGM battery's resting voltage gets any lower than about 12.6 volts (or about 75% of it's 'full charge' ) then it's starting to get a bit tired, and if it hits 12.4 volts at rest then I reckon you are really pushing the limits of reliability, even if it 'seems' to start OK most of the time!

As other's have mentioned, carrying a portable jump starter is a good idea, but one of them or even a jump start from another (big??) vehicle with a known good battery & a healthy charging system won't help if one or more of your battery's cell's dies completely - and that's more likely to happen on a tired battery than it is on a new &/or otherwise healthy battery. So even with a jump start/starter, you could end up stuck!

Help any??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2021 at 11:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... This makes the most economical sense ..... You get the most life out of your battery this way .... If you have to jump it ( twice ) then get a load test to be sure. .... Many folks buy batteries after 3 years even tho they haven't had any indication of battery issues .... Lithium battery chargers are now a very low cost option .... Mike
    But remember you have to charge them up every now and then!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have a harbor freight jump pack. I needed to use it last year for my car. It sat in my trunk for over a year and when I needed it it was still charged and started my car. Those jump packs hold there charge a long time. In fact I still have not charged it. But probably will now that this came up.

Spyder Garage

I like the idea of a jump pack, but wait. Do they last forever? So now every 4 year a person can buy a bike battery and a jumpbox?
    4 years has been a short battery life for me, some last 6. I don't recommend overthinking it. Most insurance covers roadside assistance which would get you started and to a store to buy a battery. Do what makes you feel better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    And that's where a battery tender earns its keep.

"Those jump packs hold there charge a long time."

I check the charge on my Rugged Geek periodically and it routinely reads 100%. Even after jumping my wife's car whose battery was overdone toast it was still 100% and the car had fired up immediately.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I must be one of the somewhat lucky ones . I still have my original battery in my Spyder and its a 2014.

Spyder Garage

When it dies!

Dead-Battery.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Also extreme heat and cold plays havoc on batteries. I ran a repair shop and sold more on both the hottest and coldest days of the year.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have Antigravity brand micro start jump pack and their instructions say to partially discharge the battery pack once every 3 months and recharge to better maintain the life of the jump pack. That’s what I try to do and it always has plenty of charge when I need it. I’ve started more autos with it than I have bikes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I automatically replace mine after 3 years of use...Do it at the beginning of the riding season...This is the year for me to replace my 2014 RTS battery....It will be my 3rd one...I've had good luck with Deka's...Most of my GW riding buddies wait till they die...Many times while we are out riding and stop for breaks larryd

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    To avoid being stranded someplace, how can one tell when it is time to replace a battery? Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    First, either install a voltmeter or connect a voltmeter to the battery. Then hold the throttle wide open and push the starter button. Holding the throttle wide open keeps the engine from starting. Watch to see how fast the voltage drops down close to 10.5. If it's within a very few seconds then you're due for a new battery. If it takes like maybe 10 seconds or more to drop to 10.5 your battery is still pretty strong. After doing this either put a charger/maintainer on it for awhile, or let go of the throttle so the engine will start before the battery drops all the way to 10.5. At 10.5 volts the cluster goes wacky and the bike won't start. The days of starting an engine with a sluggish battery are long gone!

Caution: don't crank the starter for more than about 15 seconds (my best guess) at a time or you run the risk of it overheating and burning out. End of life of the battery is characterized by a rapid drop in voltage when you put a load on it. This procedure does the same thing as a battery load tester.

This procedure isn't absolutely definitive but it will be a good indicator.

Edit: I just did it with my RT with a year old battery. The voltage started at 12.2 and was holding steady at just over 11 after about 5 to 10 seconds of cranking.

Another edit: I just checked again. After the test the battery shows 12.5 with key off and 12.2 with key on. My starter test did not noticeably draw the battery down.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I have Antigravity brand micro start jump pack and their instructions say to partially discharge the battery pack once every 3 months and recharge to better maintain the life of the jump pack. That’s what I try to do and it always has plenty of charge when I need it. I’ve started more autos with it than I have bikes.
    Good practice for all rechargeable type batteries, yes they last good time, however when not regularly used can act up. Oem battery might give few hints, maybe a random code or warning light for something not actually having a fault. Unfortunately so can loose connections & need to determine actual faults if any. Easy enough to remove battery & have load tested & solid charge. Also good time to install star washers on battery connections
    BEA3A229-5D68-4708-B7AD-FD8C5D54A6D9.jpeg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

On my first bike, a 1982 Suzuki 650, I had a weak battery. However, it would crank and crank and crank the motor over at the same rate. Yet it did not start...though it almost did in the split second after I let off the starter button, and a few times it did start. With some help from a mechanic, we discovered that the battery had the voltage to crank the starter till the cows came home, but not enough to fire the spark plugs sufficiently to get a hot enough spark to fire when cold. The split second after I let go of the starter button immediately sent more voltage to the plugs while momentum kept the engine turning another half-revolution or so. It would catch and occasionally start up. New battery --> started immediately and ran great.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    On my first bike, a 1982 Suzuki 650, I had a weak battery. However, it would crank and crank and crank the motor over at the same rate. Yet it did not start...though it almost did in the split second after I let off the starter button, and a few times it did start. With some help from a mechanic, we discovered that the battery had the voltage to crank the starter till the cows came home, but not enough to fire the spark plugs sufficiently to get a hot enough spark to fire when cold. The split second after I let go of the starter button immediately sent more voltage to the plugs while momentum kept the engine turning another half-revolution or so. It would catch and occasionally start up. New battery --> started immediately and ran great.
    Yep, big difference between then and now. No computer control back then. Even my 2005 Goldwing had no real computer control. One time the battery ran down from leaving the key on and it didn't have enough oomph to start. So I pulled the headlight fuse and bingo!, it took right off. Halogen headlights load a battery quite a bit and because of the relatively high 10.5 volt requirement to run the Spyder computers, BRP incorporated the load shedding relay to keep the headlights off until the engine is running.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Jim
    Slow starting, occasional clicking, poor load-test results, low voltage check, erratic electrical issues/codes. Every battery I have is hooked up to a smart tender - keeps them topped off/desulfated and ready at all times. At the five year mark I usually replace a battery. I do carry a jump pack in each vehicle but not on the bike - maybe I should rethink that.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

I am another one that says to replace the battery every three to four years. When the battery crashes, usually without warning, you can be left stranded in the worst places. Think "Murphy's Law."

I lived in AK for almost twenty years. Two big population centers, three hundred miles apart. One repair place for Spyders. Nothing on the road for almost 1000 miles. I was never stranded, but the thought crossed my mind a couple times.

Now, in the lower 48 and dealers and other shops all around, I feel a bit more confident. Our Spyders get enough daily use, that we no longer put them on tenders during the off season. There is no "off season" for us here.

For the cost of around $100...that is good insurance for me every third year or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

still have original yuasa in my 15. load tester shows way over factory cca. have another one waiting.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I have one I take and haven't needed on the Spyder yet,,,,,,,but it started my Dodge Ram Cummings Diesel last year in cold weather.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    When it dies!

Dead-Battery.jpg
    I was going to say that and you beat me... When I was riding my Harley or my GoldWing I always installed a new battery every spring...
    maybe that's over kill but I never had a dead battery. I usually replace the Spyder battery every other year. mainly because I know they are
    very fussy about batteries....... AND I put the date I installed it on top of the battery with a paint stick.