Spyder Garage

Default To Purchase the extended warranty or not, that is the question!

Hey everyone, I love these types of forums, they are always very informative.

I just bought my first Can Am a 2019 Spyder Rt limited with 6500 miles on it. The factory warranty expires on July 15, the dealer stated I could extend that warranty @ $1350. For three more years. I have only had the opportunity to put 200 fun and flawless miles on it. I realize the warranty would not cover ant routine maintenance, but I would do that myself. Any opinions on the value of the extended warranty would be appreciated.

Cant wait for my first long ride!!

Spyder Garage

Get the extension BUT look elsewhere to buy. Your guy is about twice what many have paid. Search this forum for warranty costs.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Try Tom Palmer at iMotorsports. They have been selling the three year extended warranty for around $700. You can purchase it from any dealer you wish and all will honor it.

and on the AND that first post.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Berts Mega Mall is very competitive as well. I have purchased two BEST extended warranties from the over the years for just under $700.00.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

The value of purchasing an extended warranty is a crap shoot IMO. I did so a year after getting my Spyder and it expired unused. That said, this link is the latest example of a big bill that can occur. If it happens while under the extended warranty it costs $50, after the warranty expires, OUCH!!!
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...earbox-failure

If I were to buy another Spyder would I get another extended warranty, probably yes.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

IMHO there is not much that goes wrong with a Spyder that costs LESS than $700 for a dealer to repair. For example, my 2014 RTL had a fuel pump go bad. Under warranty the dealer invoiced it at over $1,000.00. I paid $50.00. These things are just so darned expensive to repair and you are at the mercy of BRP and their dealers because of their propriety systems, tools, and willingness to work on them. And, don't you wonder why YOUR dealer wants almost double what others charge for the same product? Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

All insurance is betting you won't have a major problem. And you betting that you will. They have the statistics to back up their position. But statistics are of no value when something goes wrong with YOUR ride. Others will tell you that if you get it, you won't need it. And if you don't, you will. Everyone sees it differently. I usually modify my ride so much that warranty isn't going to cover it anyway. So, I rip, shred, and ride. Many times with no warranty at all!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Remember $671 for 3 years of best from IMOTORSPORTS, THOMAS PALMER (630)634-8428

T.P.

Tell him you are a SPYDER LOVERS member

Spyder Garage

Unless it's going to live in the garage, the benefits of the warranty tend to make it well worth the cost. I wouldn't own a Spyder without the longest warranty I could get.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    All insurance is betting you won't have a major problem. And you betting that you will. They have the statistics to back up their position. But statistics are of no value when something goes wrong with YOUR ride. Others will tell you that if you get it, you won't need it. And if you don't, you will. Everyone sees it differently. I usually modify my ride so much that warranty isn't going to cover it anyway. So, I rip, shred, and ride. Many times with no warranty at all!
    .... also it depends on how good your " wrenching skills are !!! "..... with my 3 Spyders, I only had the warreanty that they had when they were bought ..... I lucked out, nothing I couldn't fix/ replace my self ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... also it depends on how good your " wrenching skills are !!! "..... with my 3 Spyders, I only had the warreanty that they had when they were bought ..... I lucked out, nothing I couldn't fix/ replace my self ..... Mike
    True. Some can reasonably put confidence in their ability to fix the problem at a much lower cost. It's still a 'Risk vs Gain' scenario. And few of us possess a crystal ball that works. The 2nd issue that always lurks in the back of my mind is getting the other side to actually live up to the agreement. A factor that most do not consider until the stuff hits the fan.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I do the majority of my own maintenance, but on my '06 GL1800 added Honda extended warranty to the base. Replacement of speed sensor (buried in the engine) or the seat one month from warranty end would either one been MUCH more than the extension. Just make sure you get a manufacturer's warranty and not some fly-by-night 3rd party.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

do check around the country as each dealer sets their own pricing on the BEST extended warranties.. I got the lowest pricing for a 2 year extended warranty from I Motorsports in the Chicago area.. went to my regular dealer with thier offer and he matched it.. It's a buyer beware on this product.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tciaffone View Post

I just bought my first Can Am a 2019 Spyder Rt limited with 6500 miles on it. The factory warranty expires on July 15, the dealer stated I could extend that warranty @ $1350. For three more years. I have only had the opportunity to put 200 fun and flawless miles on it. I realize the warranty would not cover ant routine maintenance, but I would do that myself. Any opinions on the value of the extended warranty would be appreciated.

Get the extended warranty, you'll be glad you did. But $1,350 is way way to much. One place I would check with is iMotorsports in Chicago. I paid $621.00 through them for the 3 year Can Am BEST warranty.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

If I could take this discussion one step further. To help in the extended warranty decision I would be interested to know some of the repair costs for these maintenance issues. Given what an oil change costs I would guess tearing into an engine would be pretty expensive.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    If I could take this discussion one step further. To help in the extended warranty decision I would be interested to know some of the repair costs for these maintenance issues. Given what an oil change costs I would guess tearing into an engine would be pretty expensive.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    If a repair of $1K or more will give you an issue...the extended BEST (from BRP) warranty is most likely a good idea. Most trips to a dealer for any kind of work, tune up, tire change, PLUS oil change, will hit $1K. Any major engine work will cost that. The old "valve check" service on the 998's was close to $1K. One repair will pay for the warranty (three years worth). Just purchase it from the right place. iMoto is a good suggestion. If you are quoted more than $1K for the warranty by a dealer...run, run, run.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-18-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks all whom replied, I did purchase the BEST extended warranty but not from my dealer.. In these threads I found what I believe is the same extended warranty for less than half the price!! Thanks again Thomas Palmer From IMotorsports in Elmhurst IL.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all whom replied, I did purchase the BEST extended warranty but not from my dealer.. In these threads I found what I believe is the same extended warranty for less than half the price!! Thanks again Thomas Palmer From IMotorsports in Elmhurst IL.
    Yes, they are one of the lowballers on BEST warranty pricing.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just bought a new 2021 RT and the dealer never even mentioned an extended warranty. Not sure why. But personally, with several cars where I bought the extended warranty, I had no repairs needed during the warranty period. And I know that Consumer Reports recommends against any and all extended warranties.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Yes, buy the extended warranty.

Look around to get the best price for the extended warranty.

I bought a 2014 RTS-SE6 in ( 2014 brand new) 2014, I got the extended warranty before the factory warranty expired and at the time it was $700.

I didn't have to use the extended warranty.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Tough question to answer.....a warranty is nothing more than an Insurance Policy, and is priced to MAKE MONEY, not to lose it, so the Company bases their price on the number of policies they sell vs. their total payout on claims, so it’s a gamble, whether you need it or not. Some people do need it, but more do not. The only certain winner is THE COMPANY offering the warranty/Insurance. jmho

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

When I picked up my new Ryker on monday the dealer qouted me $1150.00 for the 36 month B.E.S.T....Obviously I knew from lurking here that I could do better...So I will be purchasing through Mr. Palmer in june 2022...What I save in insurance premiums over the next 4 years will more than pay for the warranty...I have been with State Farm for 47 years...lol...They qouted me $460.00 for a 12 month policy...Decided to get a qoute from Geico...$181.00 for the same coverage 12 month policy... Thanks Geico...