Spyder Garage

Default F3-T rear suspension upgrades

Im thinking about buying my 1st spyder. I'm 5'10" and 215lbs. Occasionally want to take weekend long trips with my wife (passenger). She wont tell me what she weighs but i think us put together 450ish. Question is, I was really turned on by the selfleveling kit that comes on the limited, part#219400738. Is that good for two up or do i need the occasional 2-up shock part#219400739 or both? I plan on buying the spyder and then buying and installing the parts my self. The f3-T already comes with "adjustable rear air suspension". So is there a switch on the bars or is it a stop and get wreches out kinda deal? If it already has air ride then is that in place of the shock therefore not needing an upgade? Thanks in advance. I searched already and saw plenty of posts but i guess i need someone to explain it to me like as if i know nothing to start with

Spyder Garage

The F3-T has the same air shock as the F3-L, it just doesn't have the self leveling pump. Pop the rear seat, look for the Schrader valve to adjust the air pressure.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

It's not actually anything like what most call an 'air shock' Valiant, it's basically just an 'air bag ride height levelling system'.

The up-market Ltd's get the so called 'operator adjustable' units, but in reality the ride height is set/recorded in the computer's programming somewhere and no matter what pressure the operator might put in the air bag (in order to raise or lower the ride height) the moment they next start the engine, disengage the Park Brake, and select a gear, the computer & ACS will begin to dump or add air in order to return the pressure to whatever is necessary in order to regain/maintain that pre-set & not readily adjusted ride height - you need to use the appropriate version of BRP''s proprietary diagnostic/operation adjusting BUDS to adjust the preset ride height.... IF you know where to find it via BUDS & how to change the settings!!

If you truly want to be able to adjust the air bag pressure in order to vary the pre-set ride height, then the F3-T with its 'non-automatic' system of inflating/deflating the air bag via the Schrader valve under the seat is the way to go - more air pressure (up to a max of about 90-95psi - I can't remember the F3's max pressure!) the higher the ride height; less air pressure (down to a min of 5-10 psi in order to avoid damaging the 'almost empty' air bag) the lower the ride height!!

Quite a few Ltd/'automatic' ACS owners actually convert their 'automatic' ACSuspension systems to manual systems because the 'automatic' components, like the bleed valve, the ride height sensor, the number of air lines & connectors, or the compressor itself, can be quite problematic & prone to leaks/failures - at least with a single air line from the Schrader valve to the air bag like the F3-T's have there's only a few things to go wrong/leak, and and it's not too difficult to occasionally top up or adjust the air bag pressure to better suit your riding needs as & when needed or they change!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input! The auto leveling sounding not so great anymore. Turns out I might be getting the F3L because my wife really digging the red! So no matter which model I get, the spring could/should be upgraded?

Spyder Garage

I personally would not opp for the auto system, it's not all what it's cracked up to be in my book, and it has it's down falls! A good old shock system is a lot more dependable, or go with the self adjustable air bag, you will find that once you have it set for your liking you will not play with it again, as long as you don't get a rock in there and blow the bag!! Shocks are the way to go in my book!! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Make your own "self adjusting" suspension. I use an inexpensive 12v pump to check my pressure and add if needed. Takes up very little room in the T bag and if need be, I can use it to fill a tire too. Full details and links to see MY SPYDER PAGE

pump.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Ended up opting for the RT base. I think the wife and I fit better on it. Glad I found this fourm. Dont know if I want to dink around with self leveling or not but I could always add it later. Thanks!