Spyder Garage

Default Changed oil & filter on my F3T yestereday

All went well and easy. Put four & half qts Amsoil in, rode it awhile, came back and topped it up. After that I went to dump the old oil and "whoops" there is the brass crush washer for the left side drain plug. Checked underneath and no drips are apparent. Rode it some more and parked it with a paper under it to show if there are any drips. Unless it drips, I plan on leaving it alone as that is a messy side to drain and I can see no way to do it without draining all the oil.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I would keep an eye on it and if I got worried I would get a clean container, do the drain thing, replace the washer, and put the oil back in.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I haven't had the f3s long enough to change the oil yet, but couldn't you pull the drain plug and put a finger over the hole use the other hand to put the washer back on the bolt then reinstall? Maybe loose 2 oz?
    I would never drain oil and reuse. Never know what's getting flushed out of the bottom of the motor then dumped back on top of the moving parts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    All went well and easy. Put four & half qts Amsoil in, rode it awhile, came back and topped it up. After that I went to dump the old oil and "whoops" there is the brass crush washer for the left side drain plug. Checked underneath and no drips are apparent. Rode it some more and parked it with a paper under it to show if there are any drips. Unless it drips, I plan on leaving it alone as that is a messy side to drain and I can see no way to do it without draining all the oil.
    On one of my early oil changes I had a guy (who will remain nameless) help me. When I did my next oil change I discovered there was no copper washer on the engine drain plug. I went 6,500 miles that way and there wasn't even an oil film around the plug. I'd say you're good to go. My advantage was that I didn't realize I had no washer to mess with my mind.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

BajaRon....LOL, you're absolutely right; everytime I go to ride, i see the old washer laying on shelf beside the bike. Moral of my story is, dump the oil before putting in new stuff! And throw away the old one!

Hoginedgewood: The left side has a long drain plue with two O rings that keep it from coming out easy or quick. Also, as soon as you loosen it, even the slightest, it starts draining, so it would be diff to get it out without losing a lot of oil. As to draining it for a change, just loosen it a bit and let it drain while you work on the other side taking off the panel, removing the filter, and draining the right side...it won't have much in it like the left does.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)