Spyder Garage

Question Greasing 'A' Arms on a 2020 F3 Basic - how?

Need to know if anyone with a newer F3 has greased their own A-Arms? I was under the front end replacing the sway bar and could not find any zerts on the A-Arm pivot points? Did I miss them? Help!! Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2021 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Prefix & title - this is a 'How do I?' question not a 'How To: DIY' guide. ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Need to know if anyone with a newer F3 has greased their own A-Arms? I was under the front end replacing the sway bar and could not find any zerts on the A-Arm pivot points? Did I miss them? Help!! Thanks
    Those " zerks " dis-appeared from Spyders in 14 (?) .... not needed in the newer models ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

So, the newer bikes have sealed bushings! No need to grease? Thanks for your input BlueKnight911. One less thing to worry about!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    So, the newer bikes have sealed bushings! No need to grease? Thanks for your input BlueKnight911. One less thing to worry about!
    Delayed worry?

Spyder Garage

Permanently lubricated in an oxymoron.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

So very true! Nothing is ever “pernamately” lubricated! Thanks to all for your feedback!

Spyder Garage

The bushings no longer pivot with a bearing surface. The newer Spyder use shelled rubber type bushings that flex the rubber vs sliding two surfaces against each other.

No lubrication required. Simply replace when worn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The bushings no longer pivot with a bearing surface. The newer Spyder use shelled rubber type bushings that flex the rubber vs sliding two surfaces against each other. No lubrication required. Simply replace when worn.
    Newer as of when?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Newer as of when?
    2014 and up.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Permanently lubricated in an oxymoron.
    Not always true. The Delrin bushings I use in my Sway Bar Kits are a special composite plastic infused with a lubricant that never goes away. Well, never is a long time. But 'Never' in the context of the life of a vehicle.

The extensive use of DELRIN® acetal resin as a bearing material has developed because of its combination of low coefficient of friction with self-lubricating properties, good mechanical properties and dimensional stability.
    Leading companies across the globe (Hey! I wonder if that includes me?) specify Delrin® acetal homopolymer from DuPont for high-load mechanical applications such as gears, safety restraints, door systems, conveyor belts, healthcare delivery devices, and other demanding products and parts (Like Sway Bar Bushings!).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ron...I appreciate your addition and you are right. I should have qualified that to greased/oiled parts exclusively.

Spyder Garage

Ron, thanks for your and others input. Was just not finding any zerts to grease on the a-arms of my 2020 F3 Basic!
    Ron, I do love the improvement on handling with your sway bar upgrade! Thanks