Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RT Pricing

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Pricing

Hello, I new to the group. Been researching Spyders for a couple of months and rode a 2009 spyder last week at a Can Am demo in Columbus, Ga and really liked it. I've decided to take the plunge. I called 3 different dealers today (I'm in Georgia, 2 were in Ga and 1 in Florida)to get some quotes on the new RT. I know it is brand new but thought they may be able to give me a ball park of what they could give off of msrp. Only one dealer had any idea what I was talking about. He emailed me about 2 hours later with a quote for the base RT of $28500 including tax. I explained that was about $7500 over the msrp of $20995. He said that was what it would be for the base model for a preorder. Can anybody give me any info on what the 2009s were discounted off of msrp? The dealers I spoke with didn't know anything about the 2009 spyder much less the 2010 yet all 3 were listed as premier polaris/can am dealers on the Spyder web sit. Any help appreciated and maybe a recomendation for a dealer in the Ga area that actually know what a Spyder is?

Thanks for the help,
    Pat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As a followup to my own question, the dealer wrote back to say that was a quote on the rt-s not the base model and included a $300 doc fee and a $1300 prep/setup fee. No discount off of msrp. Is that normal on the spyders?

Pat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Try calling some of the Alabama dealers. Big 1 in birmingham and there is a dealer in hamilton. i'm not sure if they are up on the 2010 model but they should be able to help with 2009 info.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have my RT-s locked in at 25000 plus 450 freight and a small setup fee. This does'nt include the trailer I ordered though. I have a great dealer in Fl and have been buying from them for quite a few years, 2 GSXR 1000's, 1 Hayabusa, 1 honda quad, a Suzuki quad, a B-king and of course he current Spyder. I think I really live there and only come home to change and shower...LOL

BillGargan

This is a brand new model. I think you are working on funny-terbacky if you think you will get a discount off list on the RT models -- at least now. We shall see as summer wanes into fall and fall wanes into winter. Prices may soften some -- less so in the warmer areas of the world where demand is not as seasonal as the colder climes.

If you expect a discount, talk to them about the 2009 or the base model of the 2010 RS. Those are unchanged and will likely sell slower than the RT model(s). According to some of the rumbles on the two forums, there may still be some virgin 2008s available somewhere -- and those should clearly have softer prices.

When I got my 2009 SE5 back in April -- my dealer was kind and gave me a fair and reasonable price adjustment off list. Another dealer I spoke to that is actually closer to home would not entertain any adjustment on price.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I have my RT-s locked in at 25000 plus 450 freight and a small setup fee. This does'nt include the trailer I ordered though. I have a great dealer in Fl and have been buying from them for quite a few years, 2 GSXR 1000's, 1 Hayabusa, 1 honda quad, a Suzuki quad, a B-king and of course he current Spyder. I think I really live there and only come home to change and shower...LOL
    hi dave!
    what dealer in fl are you talking about?... i live in jax...
    thanks...
    CD.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok, thanks for the replies. Guess I was being naive to think there may be a discount off of msrp. The dealer in Florida wrote again to say when the spyders first came out many dealers were adding $1500 over msrp. He did not do that but apprently does charge a $1300 set up which seem high to me. Having seen how much new motorcycles are being dicounted in this economy, I was expecting about the same. Apparently there is a very large demand for the Spyders and this dealer expected all the rt to be sold out by delivery date

Best,
    Pat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cdragut View Post
    hi dave!
    what dealer in fl are you talking about?... i live in jax...
    thanks...
    West coast Powersports in Clearwtaer. Ask for Dave Myers...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The only way you'll get a discount off MSRP is if the dealer wants to eat some of his margin. We are talking preorder here. It's not like they have surplus inventory. I'm not saying it is impossible, but the economic conditions I would not let go of profit.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
    Happy Spyder Owner

BillGargan

Quote Originally Posted by wps52 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the replies. Guess I was being naive to think there may be a discount off of msrp. The dealer in Florida wrote again to say when the spyders first came out many dealers were adding $1500 over msrp. He did not do that but apprently does charge a $1300 set up which seem high to me. Having seen how much new motorcycles are being dicounted in this economy, I was expecting about the same. Apparently there is a very large demand for the Spyders and this dealer expected all the rt to be sold out by delivery date

Best,
    Pat
    Of course this is many, many moons ago . . . When Chrysler first came out with the MiniVan, the demand was outrageous. If you went to a dealer and looked at the sticker you would see an addiotonal piece of paper somewhere near it. Depending on which dealer you went to the words on that paper varied and the amount varied -- but, that piece of paper showed the base sticker price and an item such as "Market Value Adjustment" and an amount typically $3,500 -- and the total price.

When they can, dealers will adjust to demand. If demand is high they are limited in their willingness to adjust prices downward. If demand is low they are more willing to adjust prices downward. If demand is ridiculously high they add to the price rather than adjust downward. If demand is ridiculously low they might eventually be willing to take a loss to get rid of the inventory.

I would not expect to see lots of flexibility on RT pricing for the time being.
    Last edited by BillGargan; 09-03-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Intead of trying to compare the new RT to what 2009 models sell for, you'd probably get a better gauge as to what is reasonable RT pricing by finding out what Premier Edition Spyders sold for in 2007. That's the same scenario they have going on now with the RT. For the record, we paid MSRP for our Premier Edition Spyders and there were other charges (dealer prep, shipping, etc.)similar to what you are posting. Our out the door price was a lot closer to $16500 than the $14500 MSRP.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Intead of trying to compare the new RT to what 2009 models sell for, you'd probably get a better gauge as to what is reasonable RT pricing by finding out what Premier Edition Spyders sold for in 2007. That's the same scenario they have going on now with the RT. For the record, we paid MSRP for our Premier Edition Spyders and there were other charges (dealer prep, shipping, etc.)similar to what you are posting. Our out the door price was a lot closer to $16500 than the $14500 MSRP.
    That's what I'm pretty much finding out. The rt-s looks like out the door will be close to $4000 more then msrp. I did contact a dealer in Alabama that is checking a few things out and may be able to do something but we'll see.

Thanks for the help,
    WPS

Spyder Garage

welcome You came to the right site.
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's what I'm pretty much finding out. The rt-s looks like out the door will be close to $4000 more then msrp. I did contact a dealer in Alabama that is checking a few things out and may be able to do something but we'll see.

Thanks for the help,
    WPS

Keep us posted

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why the rush to get a RT, just wait a few months after they are out and deals will be made. As usual first ones out will always be way over priced and remember all the problems the 08's are having now do you think the RT's will be any different I think not.

Spyder Garage

Spending over $25K on any "motorcycle" is just plain nuts. Maybe some of you have money to burn, but I prefer to buy waterfront properties instead. Wait a while (winter is coming) and save yourself $10K
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Spending over $25K on any "motorcycle" is just plain nuts. Maybe some of you have money to burn, but I prefer to buy waterfront properties instead. Wait a while (winter is coming) and save yourself $10K
    This is pretty much a personal decision, much akin to choosing a $40K Mercedes over a $25K Ford. Personal choices...personal decisions.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    This is pretty much a personal decision, much akin to choosing a $40K Mercedes over a $25K Ford. Personal choices...personal decisions.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I would think in these times there will be plenty of left overs toward the end of next year alot of dealers still have some 08 models and the way they operated on the initial roll out they were not on time so what I'm trying to say a little patience should save you alot of dough

Spyder Garage

It took me some really serious thought about this, but I'm going to wait a while, I've got my Spyder, set up pretty close to how I want it, and I don't want to go into debt right now...so I'll put cash aside, ryde my Spyder, and when I can pay cash for a new one, I will. Love the looks of the RT, and the trailer, but can't / won't right now. Next year's coming.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default pricing

I agree that this is a new model and asking for a discount might be out of the question till there is stock on the floor for awhile. That being said I got my 09 phantom for 15,000.00 out the door and I beleive list was around 19,000?? thats what I recall, and I could have had a 09 sm5 for standard model for 1500.00 less than that, both of which I felt were good solid deals.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought the original Spyder, PE #600 for the $14995 PLUS TAX, TAG TITLE ETC. Put the deposit down in March, 2007 and took delivery in December, 2007. I was entranced by the looks of the rig. Sort of like a mini space ship. Totally unique. The new RT doesn't ring my bell at all. I am not a long haul rider, so the original Spyder does me just fine. I hope the new RT is everything everyone wants it to be, but I will just stick to my Spyder as she sits now. Having said all that, I will follow avidly all the reports of test rides and experiences of new owners when the RT is released.

Buen suerte, amigos!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help,
    WPS
    Man $30,000 out the door! That is close to double...man I wish I won the lottery..I would love one, but I can't justify $30,000....darn

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    Man $30,000 out the door! That is close to double...man I wish I won the lottery..I would love one, but I can't justify $30,000....darn
    Well actually I was quoted $28500 out the door for the rt-s. I think msrp is 24500 or 24900.

WPS

Spyder Garage

Default ordered mine

ordered mine on the first day. RTS with the trailer. Everyone around keeps asking me if I will sell my 08. No plans on getting rid of it! I will probably end up trying to sell some of the extra accessories and stock items.
    (2) original seats. (2) extra full sets of panels,(5) windsheilds lots of extras. Learned and bought over this last year and still planning on upgrades for the 08. will get full list together and post on the fore sale board soon.

vwatso