Thread: Shoulders hurt

Spyder Garage

Default Shoulders hurt

Hi
    I'm new only about 200 miles so far on 2020 RTL Any suggestions on a way to keep shoulders from being sore I'm 5 10 and new spyder Foam grips is the only add if that helps
    I need a lot of practice I know, I came from 40 years of 2 wheelers so far I'm not sure weather I will like it seems to shift me back and forth in seat going down HWY but around town I like it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ease up on your grip and maybe try some different bars so you're a little closer to the grips.

Spyder Garage

Be sure your grip on the bars show a slight angle on your elbows. Means you are not overreaching to steer.

Spyder Garage

I am worried about the shifting back & forth. Are you having to fight the trike to stay strait? Besides a handle bar adjustment or change I think it is extremely important to have high speed stability. Yes you need a lot more miles under your belt.

For now definitely stay below 65mph. Make sure your alignment is good. Check your tires pressure. Most importantly do not ride beyond your comfort level. Foam grips are cheap and will help with fatigue.

Spyder Garage

Experienced same type discomfort on 2020 F3-T. installed 2" risers from Lamonster Garage which solved my reach issue I really didn't know I had for long time.

Spyder Garage

I agree about reaching too far and death grip. I need a backrest and windshield.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK, now from someone with 12 + years on a couple different model Spyders ..... relax, relax, RELAX ..... Spyders with good alignment will track exactly where they are pointed. ... you have to UN-learn everything you learned on a two-wheel Mtc. .... just drive it like your Car. ... As said above tires should be even with PSI's. ( or very close ) ..... it really takes time in the saddle for most to get comfortable. My advice is DON'T change anything until you learn to handle a Stock Spyder, or you'll be throwing money at it, and decide you didn't need to later ..... good luck & ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The bars supplied with the 2020RT/RTL have been identified by many as the source of shoulder fatigue and soreness. There are two common and simple solutions: Lamonster's handlebar riser and F3 bars. I chose the F3 bars and the switch solved all of my shoulder/neck issues and provided a more relaxed position on the bike, thereby calming down the twitchy handling. F3T handlebar part number is 709402241, with a price of $109.99. Lamonster's riser: http://www.lamonstergarage.com/handl...020-lamonster/ --~$90.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Just bought my 2021 RTL in late February - coming off a Gold Wing trike with handlebar risers.
    Worst pain between my shoulders I have ever had with the Spyder. Thought a back rest would put me closer to the handlebars....nope....no relief.
    Jumped in whole hog and put on the $$$Helibars instead of trying this, trying that - totally customized my reach and position.
    LOVE them! No more pain! Worth every $$$ to me.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Not a medical type; however, cockpit ergonomics are generally at play when you have pain in the shoulders. I'm 6'2" and long arms. Had this happen when I owned an '08 1800 Goldwing. Stock seat positioned me too far forward - arms back, pinching between shoulder blades - very uncomfortable. Most bikes and such are designed for the average person of 5'10", give or take a couple - length of a person's upper and lower torso affects this as well. Outside this range you may have comfort issues. Went to Rich's custom seats in Kingston WA, just across from Vancouver Island. He has been doing custom seats for over 25 years. He assessed my requirements and modified the seat such that my seating position was moved 2" back and 2" up, all issues went away. He moved me back to get a better arm position - elbows were now forward of my upper torso, and up 2" because my knee was originally higher than my hip joint - moving me up 2" inches changed this so that the knee was now slightly lower than the hip joint. Better ergonomics all round.

My 1500 - just sold, seating position was good for the arm placement, but the seat was an inch too low for the hip joint. Had comfort issues in the hip joint because of this. Honda lowered the seating position 1" on the '95 and up GL1500 bikes. It took a while for my hip joint to become uncomfortable so I never had the seat modified.

If there is a shop nearby that can "fit" you to the Can-Am, wouldn't hurt to visit. You could visit a cycling shop for advice as well, cyclists are into optimizing their riding position for max comfort and performance. Just a thought or two. Last but not the least choice would be to visit a performance snowmobile shop. BRP started in the snowmobile business, changed the traditional seating position from feet forward to the REV platform, more like a performance bike seating position. I find the Spyder with the stock seat to be similar to sitting on a REV snowmobile platform. Just a few thoughts.

Good luck.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

I must be part orangutan, I am needing bars farther away from my torso. Does BRP make LONGER REACH bars for the F3L?
    I looked to see if I could saw some off of the stock bar, but the cuff is at the curve, preventing that cheap fix.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I had pain between my back shoulder blades on my 2020 RTL. Lamonster's handlebar riser relieved my pain. Easy install. I did not have to cut the zip ties holding the cables.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I must be part orangutan, I am needing bars farther away from my torso. Does BRP make LONGER REACH bars for the F3L?
    I looked to see if I could saw some off of the stock bar, but the cuff is at the curve, preventing that cheap fix.
    Absolutely.