Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Blue Ridge Windshield on the F3 = Crazy backdraft

I've never been one to ride with a windshield. Riding my HD Sportster, I'd eat up bugs with my jacket and helmet every spring. With my Spyder, I'm able to use this vehicle on a more daily basis. So I figured, let me put on a windshield to cut down on that highway wind.

The Blue Ridge Windshield (Can-Am OEM Part): https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...indshield.html

It was relatively easy to install, but holy mother, does this thing generated backdraft turbulence! Right at my head. Riding at 65mph or more, my head is vibrating so much I can't even read the road signs. I'm honestly surprised Can-Am would consider this a product they can sell.

As such, I'm forced to share my part-bashing post with you fellow riders. I'm hoping some of you can share a windshield you're using that doesn't generate this type of heavy backdraft right near your head.

I'm looking at the shorter version of the Blue Ridge Windshield, the Route 129: https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...indshield.html

It's about 6" shorter, which might keep my head in the clear - although that's a big IF.

I've already spend $450 on my god awful windshield.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the Route 129 windshield, or other alternatives. Thanks a million!

Spyder Garage

That windshield has been criticized for as long as I can recall on this forum..I went with the Madstad. They will give you great customer service and advice!

Spyder Garage

I have used 7Jorck windshields for decades and have 2 of theirs for my F3L. They are great quality for way less than half of what you paid for yours. I had them make a custom to my specs and they charged no more than a stock one. Whatever you buy, get the flip (reverse curve) you will thank me.
    7Jurock.com
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I agree, I switched from the Blue-ridge due to it not performing at highway speeds. I purchased a 27 inch shield with the“flip” at the top from 7Jurock. Great price and fits the Blue Ridge mounds for my F3.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nycgordonf View Post
    I've never been one to ride with a windshield. Riding my HD Sportster, I'd eat up bugs with my jacket and helmet every spring. With my Spyder, I'm able to use this vehicle on a more daily basis. So I figured, let me put on a windshield to cut down on that highway wind.

The Blue Ridge Windshield (Can-Am OEM Part): https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...indshield.html

It was relatively easy to install, but holy mother, does this thing generated backdraft turbulence! Right at my head. Riding at 65mph or more, my head is vibrating so much I can't even read the road signs. I'm honestly surprised Can-Am would consider this a product they can sell.

As such, I'm forced to share my part-bashing post with you fellow riders. I'm hoping some of you can share a windshield you're using that doesn't generate this type of heavy backdraft right near your head.

I'm looking at the shorter version of the Blue Ridge Windshield, the Route 129: https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...indshield.html

It's about 6" shorter, which might keep my head in the clear - although that's a big IF.

I've already spend $450 on my god awful windshield.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the Route 129 windshield, or other alternatives. Thanks a million!
    Interesting, picked up the f3s 2 weeks ago ordered the smaller windshield, not sure of the model number. Now im questioning if I should go aftermarket instead.
    Also wondering if people who don't like their windshield have shortened them. I prefer looking over the windshield, less water drops to look through.

Spyder Garage

Well thank you gentlemen. That about figures. The Can-Am website doesn't allow any product reviews, so it's impossible to tell what rider's experiences with a given accessory are. Had I know this before shelling out $450 on a piece of clear plastic, I would've certainly avoided it by a mile. I had dispatched an e-mail to their customer service, asking for a return/refund authorization even though the purchase was made in January. I don't expect much in a way of answer, but it was worth a shot.

I'll see how the shorter windshield compares. They do have a 30-day refund policy on accessories so if anything, I'll return the Route 129 and go with one of the aftermarket ones you've all suggested.

Thanks much

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
    Interesting, picked up the f3s 2 weeks ago ordered the smaller windshield, not sure of the model number. Now im questioning if I should go aftermarket instead.
    Also wondering if people who don't like their windshield have shortened them. I prefer looking over the windshield, less water drops to look through.

There are only 2 OEM windshields for the Spyder F3. Blue Ridge and Route 129. Route 129 is the shorter one. Please, do share your experience with it riding at highway speeds. I have to remove the Blue Ridge windshield from my Spyder as I genuine don't believe it's safe to ride with it. The head vibrations you'll get at 65mph+ will make it impossible to read any road signs or avoid hazards on the road. It's like being stuck in a washing machine during the spin phase. I can guarantee you the Can-Am engineer who designed this windshield has never ridden with it.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 F3-S SS and I know what your talking about. I have tried several windshields (bought them used) including the Blue Ridge, Route 129, Gustafson, and Madstad. Add an X-creen Tour wind deflector to the top of the Blue Ridge windshield and it will fix the problem.
    The Route 129 is a lower windshield and the wind will hit you squarely in the chest at highway speeds. Your head area is exposed directly to bugs and debris.
    Now I'm using the Madstad and I like it's adjust-ability for different angles and heights depending on conditions. I'm using my X-creen with it as well. But I would go back to the Blue Ridge with X-creen if I had to.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

As an owner of two F3L's (2019 & 2020), I am still riding with the OEM windshield. I like the short windshield that I can look over as I ride. So far, have no intentions to change out either windshield for a larger one. Drove RT's since 2010 and had the OEM adjustable versions. No problem to get excited about, except looking through water drops during rain.

13K miles on the 19 and 3K miles on the 20.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    Add an X-creen Tour wind deflector to the top of the Blue Ridge windshield
    Thanks! Never thought of adding anything extra on top of the Blue Ridge. Somewhat concerned about the looks of it. Would you happen to have a photo of what it looks like on your Spyder? Just to mske sure we're talking about the same product: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sku_id=1045726

Did you purchase the clamp-on or bolt-on version?

Appreciate your time

Spyder Garage

Be very careful with the X-creen Tour....I bought one to go along with the blue ridge windscreen..it was the one that you screw into the exsiting windscreen...drove with it for about a month or so before deciding to go with the 7jurok 27 inch wind screen..any way where the screws were clammed down cracked my blue ridge windscreen so there is no way to return it...so if you get the X-creen Tour screw on or clamp down be very careful how tight you clamp it down...I think it was more operator error and the wind..but all in all i just went with a bigger screen because I want all in one instead of having to put something else on top of a windscreen..

Spyder Garage

nycgordonf.....Call the nice folks at 7Jurock and tell them what you want. They did that for me and for way less than $200 shipped.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I have a Moparty clone of the too expensive Xcreen. It has stopped any buffeting from the F4 tall. I had the same problem, but it wasn't backdraft, it was over the top. Rattled my glasses and pained my sinuses very severely. Thing is, you can look over your shield through the gap for a good view of the road ahead. Complete details at my page link in my signature or to see MY SPYDER PAGE. Look underair-control.gif

moparty-cropped.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kennygee View Post
    Be very careful with the X-creen Tour....where the screws were clammed down cracked my blue ridge windscreen so there is no way to return it..
    Uh-ah. Don't want that happening. I sometimes hit 105mph when passing cars. Last thing I need to worry about is a clamp-on piece of windscreen going loose and hitting me in the face at that speed. Thanks for the useful tip.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nycgordonf View Post
    Uh-ah. Don't want that happening. I sometimes hit 105mph when passing cars. Last thing I need to worry about is a clamp-on piece of windscreen going loose and hitting me in the face at that speed. Thanks for the useful tip.
    Fear not. Just do it right. Put some tape where the clamp goes and don't ram the screws into the shield. Gently tighten. It won't come off. Kenny did say "I think it was more operator error". I've had my Moparty to max speed and because of it being there I could still hear my radio!
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

No problem at all...this is why when the people on this forum say do the research and get the best screen for yourself after that very expensive purchase and that insedent..because i wasnt even on the highway when it cracked i was just cleaning behind the glass and noticed the spyder cracks come from the clamps... So my advice is please do the research before you spend all that money..because most of the money we spend on these beautiful machines is not cheap...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kennygee View Post
    No problem at all...this is why when the people on this forum say do the research and get the best screen for yourself after that very expensive purchase and that insedent..because i wasnt even on the highway when it cracked i was just cleaning behind the glass and noticed the spyder cracks come from the clamps... So my advice is please do the research before you spend all that money..because most of the money we spend on these beautiful machines is not cheap...
    Oh, you're preaching to the choir. I spent more on my old Harley than the thing was worth. I came to think to myself one day, do I spend more time working on this bike? Or do I spend more time actually riding it? In the end, it didn't really matter which was true. I just enjoyed it all around.

I should've done more research indeed. I always make the mistake of assuming OEM accessories are designed and engineered by skilled craftsmen.

Wrong!

Spyder Garage

Your not by yourself at all on that....My wife told me just yesterday are you going to ride it or doll it up...hahahaha...and I had to really think about it...as far as OEM parts I'm learning so much from this website that all OEM parts are not made equal...hahaha...research is definitely the going theme I hear on here alot...Ride safe and Keep that spyder in the wind..

Spyder Garage

I have the BR and the MRA touring screen and LOVE it. The screen is about 2 inches below eye level but I feel No head/upperbody drafts at all. It should be below?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I've had no issues with the X-creen cracking the windshield. I bought the clamp on version but they included the bolt on parts if I wanted to attach it permanently. I just use the clamp on.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

This is a timely conversation for me. I just traded my RT for a 2017 F3 Limited. I love it, but my wife is not diggin' the wind she's getting sitting behind me. She's about 5' 7" so she's perched pretty high.
    I found a used F4 Customs 21" windshield with the vent for $200. I was planning on buying it this weekend. I just looked at the 7jurock website and noticed that they are about $200. I'm open to opinions on which is a better deal.

Thanks
    Ellyess

Spyder Garage

Well, a quick update. I ended-up purchasing the 27" windshield (largest they have) from 7Jurock. $200 shipped, with 15% tint. It's a solid increase vs. the 21.5" Blue Ridge windshield. Hopefully this remedies the mind-numbing turbulence my head experiences at highway speeds.

I've also alerted BRP that this windshield is flat-out not safe for road use. The amount of draft it creates right at the level where the head is positioned makes it practically impossible to read road signs or avoid hazards on the road due to the intensity of vibrations it subjects the head to. They are "escalating" this and "investigating". In the meantime, they asked me to reach out to a local dealer with regards to warranty. Yeah, good luck with that.

I'll report back once I install the 7Jurock windshield.

BTW, it should be noted that 7Jurock only sells the polycarbonate part. The OEM mounting hardware is required (either from the Blue Ridge Windshield or Route 129 windshield from what I understand).

If this 27" windshield doesn't remedy my issue, then screw it. I'm going back to bare bones again.

Spyder Garage

nycgordonf.....Did you get a flip on your 7Jurock windshield.

Spyder Garage

Same here nycgordonf....I purchased mine last week and I did email to see if it has the flip and they did confirm...so we will both see how this goes...I'm like you with the blue ridge and the head buffeting and if this don't work I'm doing the same...no windshield at all..

Spyder Garage

Just got the 27inch windscreen the only regret is its not dark enough but i can definitly work with it...road the bike to work and virtually no head buffeting...hitting the highway after work...i am including in the a side by side of the blue ridge windscreen and the 27 inch windscreen...I hope this helps anyone struggle with the smaller screens...window sizing blue ridge and 27inch.jpgside view of 27inch windshield.jpg