Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Can you slip shift an sm6?

I have a friend who wants to get a '15 F3 - S which is an SM6. He asked me of you can shift it without using the clutch. I have no idea because I have an SE6. But, both me and that old timer have slip shifted bikes without the clutch for decades. Take it up the the proper RPM and close the throttle, shift up, open the throttle. My CAN-AM shop is closed because of COVID so I can't check it out.

Can slip shifting be done on an SM6?
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    I have a friend who wants to get a '15 F3 - S which is an SM6. He asked me of you can shift it without using the clutch. I have no idea because I have an SE6. But, both me and that old timer have slip shifted bikes without the clutch for decades. Take it up the the proper RPM and close the throttle, shift up, open the throttle. My CAN-AM shop is closed because of COVID so I can't check it out.

Can slip shifting be done on an SM6?
    Yes, and if done CORRECTLY can be done smoothly .... However the SM has a clutch for a REASON .... Annnnnnnnnnnnnd if He / She is planning to shift this way they should also plan on Early Tranny issues. My question is - if they haven't bought the Spyder yet why are they not getting the SE ..????? ... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes, and if done CORRECTLY can be done smoothly .... However the SM has a clutch for a REASON .... Annnnnnnnnnnnnd if He / She is planning to shift this way they should also plan on Early Tranny issues. My question is - if they haven't bought the Spyder yet why are they not getting the SE ..????? ... jmho .... Mike
    So not true if done properly! I have speed shifted all of my bikes I have owned over the past 40yrs and NEVER had a prob with clutch or trans... That said, it does require technique! And VERY GOOD technique... One should lightly preload the shifter in advance and time the upshift perfectly with the throttle blip or it will be jerky... DO NOT DOWNSHIFT using this technique!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    So not true if done properly! I have speed shifted all of my bikes I have owned over the past 40yrs and NEVER had a prob with clutch or trans... That said, it does require technique! And VERY GOOD technique... One should lightly preload the shifter in advance and time the upshift perfectly with the throttle blip or it will be jerky... DO NOT DOWNSHIFT using this technique!
    Thanks for the info. We've both been slip shifting bikes for decades. Takes about a day to get the technique right, but butter after that. Never downshift. I decided to go full hog on an SE6, but he found an SM6 S for 13K local in NC. That was the price range.

Image1.jpg
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Do it all the time. Like most everything in life, if done correctly, not a problem. Particularly handy when drag racing.... Not that I would do that kind of hooligan thing
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    " so not true " .... please explain to me the difference between " properly " and " correctly " and as to the " black lettering " .... I have met some people who can't shift ... USING THE CLUTCH .... so I'm not about to assume " everyone " can shift PROPERLY without the clutch .... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " so not true " .... please explain to me the difference between " properly " and " correctly " and as to the " black lettering " .... I have met some people who can't shift ... USING THE CLUTCH .... so I'm not about to assume " everyone " can shift PROPERLY without the clutch .... jmho .... Mike
    No diff between properly & correctly, and I made no distinction... As for the black lettering, it was the point of my post, as to the fact that if learned and applied (use your choice here) properly, your statement of "they should also plan on Early Tranny issues" is not true...

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

No doubt it can be done, and will find the next gear. Will it damage or harm the gearbox, likely no, but it will cause increased wear and rounding of the gearbox drive dogs.

To reduce wear and add longevity, it is best to at a minimum unload the gearbox with even a partial pull of the clutch.

As a kid racing dirtbikes in the 1970s, it was common to upshift, even downshift without using the clutch. When you open a gearbox up and see the rounded dogs, which requires replacement of the worn gears, it is disturbing.

Since the 1970s I prefer to use the clutch whenever possible. Not pulling the lever fully to the grip, simply enough to unload the gearbox. Learning this way of shifting found it is faster to not back off the throttle to shift without the clutch, but rather to leave the throttle pinned and allow the rev limiter to control rpm, while you partially pull the clutch and take a gear. On the larger displacement bikes, the rev limiter came into effect less, since the same technique was done at partial throttle settings.

As for a Spyder, since it is accepted that the gearbox is the same for the SE and SM, and the SE electronically cuts engines power to shift gears, the question becomes, does the SE also cycle the clutch during shifts?

Spyder Garage

Thread is moot. He ended up with an SE6, same miles, same price, same year, same color. I never get that lucky. Added bonus, windshield, buncha lights.

Spyder Garage

Default Slip Shift--used to be Speed Shift

Good Quality Tranny Syncro helps:
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black