Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Reliability ain't Spyder's strong point. But then, folks don't buy em for reliability coz they rightly expect it to come with the product. This has been going on for 13 years.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

When I replaced my pulley, I was surprised at how small the splines were, considering all the power they must transmit. On a number of occasions I've seen mechanical designs that were great on paper, but failed in the real world -- even when there was a large design margin over the calculated requirements.

My pulley was fine, but it was changed to fix the belt whine. Glad I ride gently. I wonder what the failure statistics are that persuade BRP to not fix this problem.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I see the front sprocket dilemma posted around...Questions: My 12 RTL is part #705502137 front sprocket 28 tooth and has an additional "flywheel" that fits on the outside..so a 2 piece system which I assume the flywheel rarely needs replaced. My 2014 RTS is part # 705503239 which is a 28 tooth "all in One" component that includes the "flywheel" attachment....(this part # runs through 2021) . Will part # 70503239 the "all-in one" flywheel/sprocket fit on my 2012 if I need it to-these look and sound identical..
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

From experience, the failure rate is about every 20,000 miles. I have over 85,000 miles on my F3-S and I am on my 5th pulley. My current pulley is the new "WHITE" pulley and has 6000 miles on it and there already is "red dust". I highly doubt the issue has been resolved.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    From experience, the failure rate is about every 20,000 miles. I have over 85,000 miles on my F3-S and I am on my 5th pulley. My current pulley is the new "WHITE" pulley and has 6000 miles on it and there already is "red dust". I highly doubt the issue has been resolved.
    Another member -" PMK " who follows this issue just told us that He read on Facebook that a NEW White pulley just failed , just passing this on .... this leads me to believe that something changed after 2014 .... some possibilities are ... 1.- a different parts supplier was added and their sprockets are of poorer quality ..... 2.- the parts supplier for the " shaft " has changed and is of poorer quality .... 3.- the assembly paste has changed ..... 4.- the assembly procedure has changed .... I've been on this forum for quite awhile ( 2012) and I don't recall this being an issue PRIOR to 2015, so IMHO - BRP needs to investigate this A.S.A.P. ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought a new pulley a couple years ago at 10'000 miles but it didn't need it So a retorqued the New bolt to the new number about 13 lbs more than stock. I'm at 21'500 now so you all got me scared? I do have the New pulley and bought another bolt so I'm all set. I rarely go more than 50 miles from home and AMA covers 35 miles any destination ! The sm6 doesn't clunk as much as the SE in my experience if you shift smooth. Hope I wait for ever!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    There's a ryder in Oz (member here too - Askitee )who's been getting only about 3,000 kms before the sprockets start getting noisy on the shaft/failing, and he's already on his THIRD sprocket, so with you being on your 5th sprocket in 85,000miles, I don't think that '20,000 mile failure rate' is anything to bank on!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I bought a new pulley a couple years ago at 10'000 miles but it didn't need it So a retorqued the New bolt to the new number about 13 lbs more than stock. I'm at 21'500 now so you all got me scared? I do have the New pulley and bought another bolt so I'm all set. I rarely go more than 50 miles from home and AMA covers 35 miles any destination ! The sm6 doesn't clunk as much as the SE in my experience if you shift smooth. Hope I wait for ever!!!
    If you removed the pulley and cleaned the countershaft and pulley bore, then assembled wet with moly lube, you should be fine for a while. If your pulley was assembled dry, it is wearing, every time you ride. The bolt keeps the pulley on the shaft, the splines transmit the engine output to the rear wheel. Same as a car or truck drive shaft, propeller on a boat or the plastic pulley inside your computers printer. Splines do the actual work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If you removed the pulley and cleaned the countershaft and pulley bore, then assembled wet with moly lube, you should be fine for a while. If your pulley was assembled dry, it is wearing, every time you ride. The bolt keeps the pulley on the shaft, the splines transmit the engine output to the rear wheel. Same as a car or truck drive shaft, propeller on a boat or the plastic pulley inside your computers printer. Splines do the actual work.
    When I took the bolt off at 10,000 miles to inspect I could not get the pulley off and it looked OK so I just put the New torque # on the New bolt and I have not seen any red dust as I take the cover off every 500 miles to check. I'm never far from home so no big deal but I wouldn't go 300 miles away!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I'm never far from home so no big deal but I wouldn't go 300 miles away!

There's a man who knows about reliability.

Spyder Garage

I heard from someone on a FB group that there have been a few reports of issues with the white pulleys just like the older black one. I just had the white one put on and the bike is very quiet now. I sure hope this is a very limited type of issue..

Spyder Garage

Yes, the white one was apparently invented by BRP to solve a problem that didn't exist - noise from the belt - while pulley failures, reliability and harmonic vibration from the belt remain factory fitted features.
    Last edited by Freddy; 11-19-2021 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Yes, the white one was apparently invented by BRP to solve a problem that didn't exist - noise from the belt - while pulley failures, reliability and harmonic vibration from the belt remain factory fitted featutres.
    Did read a post that they went to the white painted pulley so it is now easier to see the infamous red dust. True story.

Spyder Garage

Or maybe they just power coated the same old pulley design with another number to give us a placebo!!! Looks different, must be good!!! I almost think they would be better off Loctited on the shaft, yes you would have to heat it up to take it off, but it would not be able to move and cause a problem!
    2012 RTL , Pearl