Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sideways wind

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I, for one, feel that this topic has been beaten to death. Arguing terminology....what EXACTLY is a Full Face helmet, what EXACTLY is an Open Face helmet and what EXACTLY is a Modular Helmet? Who cares. Use the type of helmet your comfortable with (as long as you obey the law). There is no right or wrong...it’s your head/your choice.
    It is a game of egos and the ability of keyboard strength to gang up and show strength. It is the internet. Everyone gets to shine their participation trophy. For me, seems the same several people constantly waste their lives to prove me wrong. Honestly, I can care less.

As for helmet buffeting in crosswinds, or direct at you from the front, there are man factors. Riders height, helmet shape in regards to aerodynamics, windscreen height, speed, surrounding vehicles, riders strength to support the helmet and likely more.

If you wear a helmet, get one that fits correctly, has good visibility, offers the ability to hear that you desire, is as light as possible within your budget, and has applicable safety ratings desired. For proper fit, it often requires buying different size cheek pads or other pads that may be offered. If you do not prefer to wear a helmet, and are not required to where you live, that’s fine too. Not my head so enjoy.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    IIRC, it was actually Bell who invented & introduced this type of helmet back in 1968/69 or thereabouts - and IIRC they called it a 'Full-face Helmet' waaayy back then.
    1968 from what I could find. Apparently they were the first truly serious helmet manufacturer who focused on maximum head protection. The ad above is the earliest I could find where "Full face" was explicitly used.

One thing I learned from this exercise in researching the terminology is that Bell is not a second tier 2-bit brand bicycle only helmet maker. Why I thought that I don't know.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)