Spyder Garage

Default Replace Frunk with larger bin?

Hello
    I have a 2015 Spyder F3-S. Just starting to find the front trunk (frunk) does not fit all the gear I need to carry. Often I will need to store my helmet and I will find it does not fit with just a few more things in the frunk.
    Has anyone thought about replacing the frunk basket/bin with a slightly larger replacement?
    Any creative ideas here?

Thanks
    J.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you remove the frunk liner (4 pushpins), you'll see there's not much "extra" room. I'd suggest saddlebags.

Spyder Garage

Lidlox for your helmet(s) is a less expensive idea than a DIY attempt at an enlarged frunk tub.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb My Givi E300N2 holds my PPE and helmet

I was looking at used F3s but they were a bit too pricey and then, when not looking for it, my RT-S with trailer appeared at a good price ($9K) so no F3 for me.

My plans for the F3 were to mount my Hepco & Becker 38L Xceed side cases to the passenger grab bars along with my Givi 300N2 top case behind the driver's seat (both of which I use on my MG). The Givi holds my PPE when riding and my modular helmet when parked. It doesn't look great on the RT-S but it is functional. It locks and removes with a key.
    Top Case.jpg
    I needed more, conventionally-shaped storage than the RT-S provides so considered a trailer hitch rack. But they stick out too far, possibly drag, and I have to add a locking box. The H&Bs were too big but it turned out I had a pair of Givi E22N side cases in storage so am adapting them to mount on top of the hitch frame. They don't block the rear lights and only extend a few inches past the ball. I should be finished in a few days and will post pictures. But if you wanted additional storage you could mount the H&Bs or other side cases to your F3's passenger grab bars. You will need some metal fabrications skills (cutting, bending, etc aluminum). I recommend you make them removable using the H&B C-Bow system. Let me know if you have questions as I've done this for my MG and other motorcycles.
    C-Bow - Xceed 38L + Chair.jpg
    Here you see the Givi top case and H&B side cases on the MG. I bought the side cases with KTM mounts used (ADV ride test) for the price of a single case and converted them to the C-Bow system (I gave the KTM mounts to a local dealer). And that's my Kermit folding chair strapped down on top.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jalalzia View Post
    Hello
    I have a 2015 Spyder F3-S. Just starting to find the front trunk (frunk) does not fit all the gear I need to carry. Often I will need to store my helmet and I will find it does not fit with just a few more things in the frunk.
    Maybe I'm tempting fate but I never store my helmet in any of the cases on my RT. During the day if I stop to go to a store or restaurant I perch the helmet on the passenger seat and toss my crash jacket over it. So far in 15 years no one has ever messed with it. At night I take it into the hotel room when I'm traveling. I ride solo so I have only one helmet to deal with. If I had a passenger it would be a different story.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Maybe I'm tempting fate but I never store my helmet in any of the cases on my RT. During the day if I stop to go to a store or restaurant I perch the helmet on the passenger seat and toss my crash jacket over it. So far in 15 years no one has ever messed with it. At night I take it into the hotel room when I'm traveling. I ride solo so I have only one helmet to deal with. If I had a passenger it would be a different story.
    Thanks - I used to do that when I rode in Dubai. But here in wonderful Seattle, we have a large and growing homeless community and nothing is off limits for them. They wont break into stuff, but if something is nicely perched on top of the motorcycle, its fair game .

J.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    If you remove the frunk liner (4 pushpins), you'll see there's not much "extra" room. I'd suggest saddlebags.
    Thanks - I dont have much experience with Saddlebags: are they available so that they are secure to the bike (cannot be stolen) and lockable?

J.

Spyder Garage

When I had an F3 Limited I could only fit my modular helmet, and anything I could stuff in it, in my frunk.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk