Spyder Garage

Default First Spyder Purchase - Need Advice

My wife and I have made the decision to purchase a used RT. However, this will be our first Spyder and first cycle. We are also looking to purchase By Owner - so I am looking for some advice (or links!) to information on what to ask/avoid/be wary of during our purchase. The Do/Don't Do post is great, but rough to search for used purchase advice in. Any suggestions or advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Spyder Garage

You mention RT. There are two flavors out there. The 2010 - 2013 versions had two cylinders and 998 cc. The 2014 and up have the three cylinder 1330 cc versions.

You will pay less for the pre 2014's, but the 2014's are a bit better. Less maintenance, better fuel economy, and one extra gear.

You also have a choice between manual or semi auto transmission. Most go with the semi auto version. I have had four 998's and three 1330's. I prefer the 1330's.

You really need to test drive to find the one that appeals to you though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

To my thinking, for both performance and build quality, a 2014-2019 is far preferable to the 2010-2013 Spyders.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I started looking at RTL Spyders in 2018. I guess, due to being female, I couldn’t pull the trigger until the 2020’s came out with that nice large rear top trunk that resembled my 2-wheeler trunks.
    On prior models to 2020 I just knew that whatever I needed out of that wormhole trunk would inevitably be at the very bottom and I would have to drag everything out to get to it...every time. Then waited one year past the design change of 2020 and bought the 2021 RTL. Sold my Gold Wing trike. I really like the Spyder but then I liked the Gold Wing trike really well also even though they are nothing alike...except for that rear top trunk!!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Choices

Check out the 2015 - 2017 RTL. The SE6 is the better way to go. Do some test rydes and make your own decision. Check out KBB for more information on prices. Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Test drive, if you can afford it I always suggest newer. Love the semi auto.

Spyder Garage

I have had a 2012 (998) and now a 2016. To me the 998 is a hot rod. If I could, I would have one of each. Like the above have mentioned. Test drive and see for yourself. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

I (that is we) agree with those who have suggested the 1330cc triple version over the 998cc twin. Until recently we had a 2012 RT Limited (wife's 998cc twin) and a 2015 RT-S (my 1330cc triple). Last month we exchanged the 2012 for a 2021 RTL Sea to Sky and we now feel more comfortable regarding reliability, mileage, and comfort.

A significant plus in your favor, in our opinion, is that you won't have to "unlearn" the riding techniques that become ingrained with two wheel motorcycle riding. Some who transition complain that the Spyder is twitchy and tends to wander all over the road at first, but several hundred miles of familiarity usually "solves" the problem. When people complain about that, I ask if they remember the now-date child's toy motto - "Weebles wobble but the don't fall down."

And as it's your first cycle we would also recommend the semi-automatic transmission. It's easy and straight forward to use and, if and when you eventually decide to replace whatever you buy with a newer model, you'll find that the semi-automatic transmission is much more popular for resale than the manual (at least according to the dealers we've been associated with). Whatever yo settle on, good luck with your purchase and enjoy the wonderful experience of Spyder riding.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your advice! Any thoughts on potential red flags or areas of concern when purchasing a pre-owned Spyder from a private owner?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Grouper -- I'm a bit puzzled due to the way you have framed your question. Are you asking about purchasing a specific RT vehicle from a specific private owner already under consideration or about any used RT from any private owner (vice any Can-Am dealer, car or motorcycle dealer, etc) that you are searching for? And are you asking about an in-person purchase or about an online purchase?

Your lowest risk is the 2014 and later 1330cc I3 with the paddle-shifted 6-speed (SE6). The power train is pretty sturdy and the "nanny" electronics tend to protect against abuse. A properly-maintained, with service records, high mileage (eg, 50K) RT will continue for another trouble-free 50K miles. A private sale on this forum is lower risk than an private sale on Cycle Trader because members are more likely to take care of their RTs, A private sale with many well-framed, well-lighted photos is lower risk than a few dark smartphone photos because it demonstrates pride and therefore care. And then there are farkles. If you know what you want and the candidate RT already has them that is a big cost saving which somewhat compensates for risk.

If you do your own work, I estimate $500 in parts to establish an end-to-end maintenance baseline (which includes spark plugs). If you don't, then your wallet will decide on your baseline.

So far I've been fortunate with my 2014 RT-S SE6 77K miles that came with a trailer. I didn't meet the original owner but was told the primary use was road trips in the SouthWest which matched its condition. That is, sunny, dry environment; long rides with not much stop-and-go; speeds less than 70mph. So it's pretty much like buying a quality used car.

Best wishes. Post pictures.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I post selling advice, however it applies to a buyer in some ways also. We recently sold our 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 Diesel pickup. I researching how to handle funds in such a transact it was advised to do the transaction at the buyer bank. That way you can watch the buyer get the cashier's check in person. To the OP this will build the sellers conference in your as a buyer. I also asked my buyer if I could take a picture of his drivers license, which he agreed to. We bought a 2018 Spyder RT-Limited chrome on Oct 31st last year and love it. In Arizona private sales of used vehicles do not have sales tax. Buying an used vehicle from a dealer are subject to sales tax. Dealers here in Arizona think their used Spyders are gold plated and want prices based on that belief.

Best of luck in finding what you want.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.