Spyder Garage

Default Leak at oil filter cap

Just did a seasonal oil change on my wife's F3 as I've done several other times. Initially, I didn't use a new O-ring for the cap and it leaked. So, I removed the cap and installed a new O-ring. Still leaks. I've tried tightening the cap very firmly and tried not tightening it so much. It's not a huge leak, but any leak is not acceptable. Any ideas what to look at next? (yes, I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealer)
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Just the usual. Check to be sure everything is clean, O-Ring, O-Ring seat on cap and filler tube. Make sure there are no nicks or cuts in the O-Ring. And, that the O-Ring is the proper size thickness and rubber/silicone compound. The O-Ring needs some lubrication. Clean engine oil works fine.

I suppose you should also check to be sure you're not overfilled. Unlikely. But a restricted crank case vent can push oil out in unexpected places.

Sometimes it is the simple things. Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-05-2021 at 05:37 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Just the usual. Check to be sure everything is clean, O-Ring, O-Ring seat on cap and filler tube. Make sure there are no nicks or cuts in the O-Ring. And, that the O-Ring is the proper size thickness and rubber/silicone compound. The O-Ring needs some lubrication. Clean engine oil works fine.

I suppose you should also check to be sure you're not overfilled. Unlikely. But a restricted crank case vent can push oil out in unexpected places.

Sometimes it is the simple things. Let us know what you find.
    Thanks for the response. I’m using the new O-ring from Lamonster’s kit. It looks like the old one. ( remember, the old one leaked after the oil change) I carefully measure the oil I drain and match it for the refill. I also did a proper check after the refill.I lubed O-ring with engine oil. I didn’t replace the 2 small O-rings....maybe that’s an issue. I’ll check surfaces for nicks tomorrow. Really frustrating for such a simple procedure.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06