• Yes, all attention is good attention

69 75.00%
  • Nope, I am against flashing in public

20 21.74%
  • No, but Im about to start

3 3.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I used to use high on my ZX7. When my highs are on both headlights are on. Low its just one. I was told by a state trooper that high beams in the daylight can cause people to pull out in front of you because the gap between your right and left set of lights shrink. It because now you have multiple lights that are close together and that can give the illusion your vehicle is further away then it really is. People are used to seeing car headlights. The closer the vehicle gets the more separation between the right and the left set of lights. Because the motorcycle lights are close together even at close distances it can register in someone's head you are further away and they feel they have more time to turn in front of you.

That is why I do not ride with my brights on in daylight.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

" Honestly officer, I didn't see him".......

Modulator on the poor ,old, slow V-Max and haven't had a frontal " incident" since. High beam only which is on during daylight hours. LED High beams on the ---- With 3,000 LMs driving lights wired to the LED fog lights. The system turns night into day so it must be highly visable during daylight hours. " Honestly officer, I didn't see him"....... Oh yes you saw me.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Still don't have a Spyder. On my GL1800, I have Signal Dynamics headlight modulators. Too bad they don't work on LEDs.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

ADOT here in Arizona recommends high beams for motorcycles during the day. Most people just ride with low beam anyway..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    I used to use high on my ZX7. When my highs are on both headlights are on. Low its just one. I was told by a state trooper that high beams in the daylight can cause people to pull out in front of you because the gap between your right and left set of lights shrink. It because now you have multiple lights that are close together and that can give the illusion your vehicle is further away then it really is. People are used to seeing car headlights. The closer the vehicle gets the more separation between the right and the left set of lights. Because the motorcycle lights are close together even at close distances it can register in someone's head you are further away and they feel they have more time to turn in front of you.

That is why I do not ride with my brights on in daylight.
    On a Spyder they are both always on, shutters down or up, the distance between them is the same. On shutters down they might think one was farther away vs shutters up. I just keep my bobble head looking around.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Still don't have a Spyder. On my GL1800, I have Signal Dynamics headlight modulators. Too bad they don't work on LEDs.
    Kisan has a modulator that works on LED headlights. Not sure if they have a plug and play harness for the Spyder though. I'm sure they do for the GL1800.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    " Honestly officer, I didn't see him"....... Oh yes you saw me.
    You may not want to believe it but that CAN be true. Our brains do the seeing. Our eyes only collect the data that the brain deciphers. When you turn your head your brain sees the image in frames, like an old fashioned movie sequence. If your head is turning fast enough your brain may not see a slice of the image in between frames. A narrow object like a bicycle or a motorcycle can often fit into the gap between frames so the brain does not see it. The other physiological characteristic our brain exhibits is to discard background information that is static in order to focus on the active parts of the image. A motorcycle approaching a motorist from the side very possibly will look like a stationary object slowly increasing in size so the brain discards that part of the image. That is why a modulator works. The brain tends to focus on motion and a modulator presents an image in motion. You could try weaving back and force across the lane if you see a car waiting to turn onto the road in front of you. Your weaving is motion that attracts the brain's attention.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Wot 'e says!

And all of that also applies when it comes to lights &/or hi-vis colors etc. Mention was made earlier of how running your lights on high beam might make a driver think that you're a 'normal vehicle' that's a lot further away than you really are because of how close your left & right headlights are when compared to those other 'normal vehicles', altho I believe that's generally a lot more of an issue at night time/in the dark; but there's a lot of evidence & research out there to support the likelihood that lights &/or bright colors, especially bright lights, are far more effective at making you visible at a distance than they are when they're close up!! The premise is that once you get within about 30 metres of another vehicle, the number & brightness of lights or colors you have on you/your machine MAY NOT HELP YOU BE 'SEEN' in quite the manner you expect!! . In fact, having a lot of lights or extra bright lights might even make the brain of a viewer at least partially block out that sector of said viewer's vision once you get up close ie, where you are most ast risk of a collision - so that other driver who blindly pulled out in front of you may well have been unable to 'see' you BECAUSE of all your bright lights, rather than 'despite' them!!

The technique of weaving a bit in your lane & so continually changing your 'range & bearing' in their field of vision, so that you don't just appear as a 'gradually increasing in size object' that could be mistaken for a car further away than you as a rider actually are has been proven to work in a wide range of conditions/circumstances at increasing how soon & how close other drivers really do get to 'notice' you enough to warrant avoiding; so given the earlier info about lights & how bright they are, even if you do ryde with your lights on high during daylight hours (like me) or if you have extra bright lights/wear hi-vis colors etc, you really might want to include that 'weaving a bit in your lane' thing as you approach other vehicles/intersections etc just to be sure to be sure!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well then I'll just have to get the wiggling modulators for the Spyder. My head is on a swivel-- even in the 4 wheeled cage. It's the folks on cell phones and the ones eating/drinking that are distracted to the point of killing us.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the discussion guys, I think this is a habit I need to get into, especially with all the transplants, tourists and distracted drivers running around here.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Lot of truth in this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We run brights/high beam during daylight hours. Yes, they are brighter and they're on all the time. The statements that motorcyclists ride like everyone is a pd assasin is valid.

Being on full time, they will likely burn out first, leaving low beams for reserve and night time riding.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    We run brights/high beam during daylight hours. Yes, they are brighter and they're on all the time. The statements that motorcyclists ride like everyone is a pd assasin is valid.

Being on full time, they will likely burn out first, leaving low beams for reserve and night time riding.
    So the F3's are not like the RT with a two single headlights and a shutter the drops in the beam for low beam??????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    So the F3's are not like the RT with a two single headlights and a shutter the drops in the beam for low beam??????
    Correct. F3 uses a dual filament H4 bulb.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Rather than daytime high beams, I decided to go all LED up front: headlights, foglights, Lamonster Bright Ryder, and Double Vision Daytime Running lights on the top and bottom A-arms. Moving to the rear next, then the sides.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With the new leds on mine seem to induce road rage in people so I just keep them on low.

I had a dodge power wagon with a trailer destroy his trailer against a tree trying to kick debris off the side of the road to hit me because I was about 10 lengths behind him with my lows and fogs on during a sunny day. I had just come off the highway where I really wanted to be seen and didn't turn them off yet.

I only turn the fogs on when I am by myself now as if I have them on around other people it seems to induce slow speeds and brake checks from the cars in front of me.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    With the new leds on mine seem to induce road rage in people so I just keep them on low.

I had a dodge power wagon with a trailer destroy his trailer against a tree trying to kick debris off the side of the road to hit me because I was about 10 lengths behind him with my lows and fogs on during a sunny day. I had just come off the highway where I really wanted to be seen and didn't turn them off yet.

I only turn the fogs on when I am by myself now as if I have them on around other people it seems to induce slow speeds and brake checks from the cars in front of me.
    How do you know that your lights were the cause of the trailer accident? Did you get to talk to the driver?
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dead against it. It ticks me off when people come at me with High Beams on day or night. Its a way to alienate those who may not have disliked motorcyclists in the past.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I always have my high beams (day time ) on
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Someone mentioned having their lights on full 'from dawn to dusk'

In the morning or evening if the sun is behind you having your lights on full can have the opposite affect to what you want. Rather than offering a clear silhouette to other drivers they help blend you into the bright background.

It's a form of camouflage called counter illumination.

I suspect modern led lighting may actually be worse for this its not a single beam so gives a more uniform spread of light.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    How do you know that your lights were the cause of the trailer accident? Did you get to talk to the driver?
    Nope never did, nor do I want to. I ended up having to "dodge" tree branches and trailer parts coming off that thing. Plus he just started weaving out of nowhere as I approached.

Alll I have to go by is cause and effect. I turn on highs or fogs = getting brake checked and people start going extremely slow in front of me. I will get brake checked when I am 10-15 car lengths behind a vehicle and not even near it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I was on 2 wheels, I always installed a headlight modulator when they were available. That "modulation" saved my bacon on more than one occasion! I first learned about them in a motorcycle magazine article in the early 80's that covered a study that was done somewhere (in the mid-west??). They had 300 people approach an intersection with a stop sign. Participants were instructed to NOT look either left or right, but straight ahead. 2 motorcycles approached the intersection, one from the left and one from the right. Only one of the motorcycles had a headlight modulator. In every incident, the study participant looked in the direction of the motorcycle with the headlight modulator, regardless of the direction from which the motorcycle approached! That sold me!

Yesterday, I went to the Kisan Electronics website to see if they had added a unit for the RT, thinking that I would have to write to them regarding any progress. To my surprise, they now offer a unit for the 2015 and 2016 newer CanAm Spyder with shutter- activated high beam! I will be calling them today to find out if they will work with LEDs, and I'll get back with the info.

Update: Spoke with Andy at Kisan yesterday and he said that the unit for the CanAm will work with LEDs. The unit is "plug and play", but you will have to do some tupperware removal. He told me that he has a video on the installation made by a dealer and said that if he can figure out how to send it, he will. If I get the video, I will post it.
    Last edited by SpyderConvert; 04-07-2021 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Update
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Wot 'e says!

And all of that also applies when it comes to lights &/or hi-vis colors etc. Mention was made earlier of how running your lights on high beam might make a driver think that you're a 'normal vehicle' that's a lot further away than you really are because of how close your left & right headlights are when compared to those other 'normal vehicles', altho I believe that's generally a lot more of an issue at night time/in the dark; but there's a lot of evidence & research out there to support the likelihood that lights &/or bright colors, especially bright lights, are far more effective at making you visible at a distance than they are when they're close up!! The premise is that once you get within about 30 metres of another vehicle, the number & brightness of lights or colors you have on you/your machine MAY NOT HELP YOU BE 'SEEN' in quite the manner you expect!! . In fact, having a lot of lights or extra bright lights might even make the brain of a viewer at least partially block out that sector of said viewer's vision once you get up close ie, where you are most ast risk of a collision - so that other driver who blindly pulled out in front of you may well have been unable to 'see' you BECAUSE of all your bright lights, rather than 'despite' them!!

The technique of weaving a bit in your lane & so continually changing your 'range & bearing' in their field of vision, so that you don't just appear as a 'gradually increasing in size object' that could be mistaken for a car further away than you as a rider actually are has been proven to work in a wide range of conditions/circumstances at increasing how soon & how close other drivers really do get to 'notice' you enough to warrant avoiding; so given the earlier info about lights & how bright they are, even if you do ryde with your lights on high during daylight hours (like me) or if you have extra bright lights/wear hi-vis colors etc, you really might want to include that 'weaving a bit in your lane' thing as you approach other vehicles/intersections etc just to be sure to be sure!
    RE: weaving in the lane. I would be afraid that the local police would watch that action and then pull one over to check them for DUI. Seen that happen on a lot of the COP shows. At night, it is harder to tell the police from the general population when looking at cars.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    milryder, you do not say the year of your RT but my operator's guide gives instructions on adjusting headlights individually, left and right, including a picture of the right side light adjusting knob. FWIW, if you must replace a headlight bulb, or switch to LEDs, you must remove the adjusting cable to get the headlight assembly out and there are two possible holes the cable can be inserted into. Be certain you reinsert it into the correct one (mine are marked with a crayon) because inserting it in the wrong one can affect the headlight adjustment.
    I have a '21 RT and looking at the manual it indicates both lights will be corrected simultaneously either vertically or horizontally by removing left mirror (vertical adj) and behind the glove box (horizontal).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My practice when slowing down or making a stop is to tap the brake several times, if I have the time, to get attention behind me. Not sure it helps, but it makes me feel better.