Spyder Garage

Default Heads Up F3-L, lower brake rod and Baker Leg Wings

Just a heads up for those with the combination of an F3 with boards, Lamont’s pedal lowering brake rod, set in position 5, and Baker leg wings (Probably not too many).

I reinstalled my Baker leg wings after riding with, and loving, Lamont’s Black Diamond boards and lowering brake rod, as I am shortly heading off on a inland ride where the morning riding temps will be around 0c, and the leg wings certainly help.

I then had to come to a quick stop when a car pulled out in front of me and my brakes were pretty much ineffective. Luckily, there was a grass verge that I was able to swerve on to, or I would have collected the car. With the lower rod, the brake pedal is moved forward and down, which makes for much easier access, and works brilliantly with Lamont’s boards.......BUT.... because you are starting your braking from a lower, more forward position, it is very possible to catch the toe of your boot on the vertical bar or hardware of the Baker leg wings, thus preventing full depression of the brake. It did not happen during normal braking, but when you have to react quickly, if your boot contacts the brake pedal a little more forward than normal, it can catch you out.

I stress that there is absolutely nothing amiss with either the boards, the brake rod, or Bakers leg wings. It is simply the above combination that is a concern. I have contacted Bakers to let them know, and they were most appreciative and are investigating the issue and any solutions, if possible.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yikes! That was exciting. Glad you are OK.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Yikes! That was exciting. Glad you are OK.
    Very exciting, Zoot That grass verge is just about the only accessible verge on that section of the freeway. It is where the highway patrol usually park with their radar. If they had been there I would not have been able to run off, but at least I would have had a witness to the clown pulling out in front of me. (No need to tell them about the leg wings )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red