Spyder Garage

Default Laser alignment?

I have about 18000 miles on my 2017 RT limited. I replaced the rear tire with altimax at 8000. I noticed last fall my outsides of both front Oem Kendra’s are starting to cup. Both are the same and tire pressure is correct. At higher speeds I can even see them starting to move so time to change out. I know a little early but I’m not worried about the money with new tires. I just installed Ron’s swaybar and shock preload adjusters. I ride 2up about 70 percent of the time. I am planning on mounting 2 new Q5’s on the front this spring. I want to mount the tires and immediately get the bike laser aligned without using the new tires. It has never been done and with the outside cupping, new swaybar and adjusters this is the perfect time. I have 2 options. (I think) I have heard Johnny k’s in Niles Ohio uses the outlaw laser system (but know nothing about them) or go to the Ohio ralley and schedule Netzely tire to do it second week of June. Both will be transported in toy hauler and then done so tires never get touched or chance to wear. Any preference of Johnny K over netzely? Johnny k is the closest about 2 hours away, spyder ralley is about 4. Distance doesn’t matter. Going to rally anyway. Looking for eastern Ohio or western pa if you have other preferences/ places to recommend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I have about 18000 miles on my 2017 RT limited. I replaced the rear tire with altimax at 8000. I noticed last fall my outsides of both front Oem Kendra’s are starting to cup. Both are the same and tire pressure is correct. At higher speeds I can even see them starting to move so time to change out. I know a little early but I’m not worried about the money with new tires. I just installed Ron’s swaybar and shock preload adjusters. I ride 2up about 70 percent of the time. I am planning on mounting 2 new Q5’s on the front this spring. I want to mount the tires and immediately get the bike laser aligned without using the new tires. It has never been done and with the outside cupping, new swaybar and adjusters this is the perfect time. I have 2 options. (I think) I have heard Johnny k’s in Niles Ohio uses the outlaw laser system (but know nothing about them) or go to the Ohio ralley and schedule Netzely tire to do it second week of June. Both will be transported in toy hauler and then done so tires never get touched or chance to wear. Any preference of Johnny K over netzely? Johnny k is the closest about 2 hours away, spyder ralley is about 4. Distance doesn’t matter. Going to rally anyway. Looking for eastern Ohio or western pa if you have other preferences/ places to recommend.
    Well that is an indicator of alignment issues, so it is off somewhat .... Kenda tires themselves are an issue ... poorly made .... before you mount new AUTO tires, I suggest getting a LAZER alignment ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had about the same millage on my 14 RTS as you have now, and my front tires showed the same signs of cupping just like yours. I had Squared Away align my spyder and WOW, what a difference. Each front tire was 2"+ out on the alignment. Don't know if BURP shipped it that way or if it was a dealership issue. My ride almost steered itself after that alignment. I believe Joe & Ann use the Rolo alignment system which has been proven to be one of the better systems available. As far as tires go, there are several good brands to choose from. I bought mine from Tire Rack and took my front wheels off and had a regular tire shop mount and balance the new tires/wheels. Smooth as silk and steers like a dream.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I had about the same millage on my 14 RTS as you have now, and my front tires showed the same signs of cupping just like yours. I had Squared Away align my spyder and WOW, what a difference. Each front tire was 2"+ out on the alignment. Don't know if BURP shipped it that way or if it was a dealership issue. My ride almost steered itself after that alignment. I believe Joe & Ann use the Rolo alignment system which has been proven to be one of the better systems available. As far as tires go, there are several good brands to choose from. I bought mine from Tire Rack and took my front wheels off and had a regular tire shop mount and balance the new tires/wheels. Smooth as silk and steers like a dream.
    ROLO = LAZER = OUTLAW ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ROLO = LAZER ...... Mike
    Are all LAZERS the same, do they all have BUDs??

Spyder Garage

The Rolo laser alignment system is separate from B.U.D.S. After the laser alignment is done B.U.D.S. is used to reset the steering angle sensor on the Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I’m getting laser for sure done. That’s why I’ll mount the tires, at home, back down the gate and let then do their thing before those tires tough the road. I have heard of nothing but “positive” reviews by netzley just wondering how good other places are. Tough to find reviews. Lots of reviews as in power sport dealers but then again how many places do laser and do they do it correct? That’s why I asked about Johnny k. Good reviews on sales but nothing on service I can find so do I trust them? I do pretty much everything on my own. I have 2 medium to poor dealer shops I don’t trust, so I have to travel to get to a good one and none have laser around me.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have not been to either one Johnny K or Netzely Tire. But I know that Netzely Tire has done a lot of Spyder alignments and they have a shop in NY and go to many Spyder Rallies each year for the pas several years doing Laser alignments, Tires and other product also. You might even be able to call them ahead of time and get Q5 tires and have them install them at the same time.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

That would be my plan. Call them schedule first appointment at the SE Ohio rally on Wednesday or Thursday depending on when they get there. I’ll already have the tires mounted the day before then load it into the toy hauler and roll it out when I get there in the Parking lot. Doesn’t sound like anyone knows anything about Johnny k service. I agree netzely has the name and reputation but if others recommended Johnny k I’d get it done sooner.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Outlaw and Rolo are the same system and same company. Both the dealers you mention are authorized dealers for the Rolo system. I don't know why you shouldn't be able to trust either one.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The Rolo laser alignment system is separate from B.U.D.S. After the laser alignment is done B.U.D.S. is used to reset the steering angle sensor on the Spyder.
    "Are all LAZERS the same, do they all have BUDs??"

I should have said and I meant to say, do all the laser alignment techs use BUDS after the alignment is done. Sorry for not being clear on that.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    "Are all LAZERS the same, do they all have BUDs??"

I should have said and I meant to say, do all the laser alignment techs use BUDS after the alignment is done. Sorry for not being clear on that.
    They should. If they don't they aren't doing the job right!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Netzley did my RT at their NY shop last fall. Excellent results and their price is the best I've heard from this forum.
    If you go there, look for the dirt driveway right near the corner. It's poorly signed but worth the trouble seeking them out.
    By all means call ahead for an appt and detailed directions.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White