Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highway riding

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Pegasus 1300 thanks.

Spyder Garage

I heartily concur in the recommendations others have offered and, most important IMO, RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE -- ALL THE TIME!!! To hell with the speed merchants, they can tempt you to ride over your head and that can get you dead!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

JAYBROS, I agree.

Spyder Garage

The one thing I haven't read is the road conditions. A lot of roads are slightly crowned. A lot of highways have groves you can't see very well. On some highways my RV wanders mostly due to the condition of the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    The one thing I haven't read is the road conditions. A lot of roads are slightly crowned. A lot of highways have groves you can't see very well. On some highways my RV wanders mostly due to the condition of the road.
    Yep I've learned it's far more noticeable on 3 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERJERRY1 View Post
    Today was my 4th ride on my Spyder RT Limited. I bought it with approximately 2600 miles on it couple weeks ago. It's kinda scary on highways going about 70 mph or higher. It wants to shift me left to right in the seat. It's not a smooth straight line in the lane I'm in. I've read they are really nice to take a trip on. I would be fighting it the whole trip. My tires had 18 lb. each in front. 25 in back. It has elka(?) shocks that look brand new. I bought it to take some longer rides. I need some advice because it sure isn't a relaxing comfortable touring bike like I've read about. I've ridden motorcycles since I was 19. I'm now retired with left leg problems. I want the Spyder to work out ok for me.
    Prior Mtc. experience is actually a detriment to Spyder riding ..... When I did my first Test ride the Dealer told me forget everything you learned on your Gold Wing .... just drive the Spyder like a Car and you'll be fine .... I did and traded on the spot .... I have driven me Spyders at 90+ on the highway with one hand and had No issues with control..... As others have said relax and Get your Spyder :LAZER aligned. .... good luck and ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

there is a training course check out moto mark1

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of older Syders with low miles. What year is your Spyder? If it is older than 2016, seriously consider replacing the tires. Check the date codes on your tires.

Spyder Garage

If you have Elka shocks you may already have an upgraded sway bar. If you have the oem Kenda tires that may be part of the problem. Like all have said, get the laser alignment. I had similar complaint at 80+ until I started to 'guide' the RT instead of steering it at high speeds. Replacing the tires will also make a dramatic improvement.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

My 2021 RT SE6 only has 400 something miles on it and it handles fine but I'm braking it in easy and rarely exceed 60 mph but I will offer this explanation: It probably isn't the machine itself making you feel slightly out of control, it is more than likely the ROAD you are on, like Cambers and off-Cambers and Crowned roads and those worn badly by heavy Big-rig usage.

If the aforementioned conditions worry you then try this: Find a section of GOOD flat highway or interstate and notice the difference in ride quality.

As was mentioned, slow down 5 or 10 miles per hour and the bike becomes super easy to ride/ drive.

After 88 Motorcycles and 58 years of riding, the transition has been an easy one for me because I am realistic regarding my abilities on this my first 3 wheel vehicle since my Radio Flyer Tricycle 70 years ago and my Race-Spec Honda 3 wheel ATV's that I raced in the deserts of Southern California. The same leaning and weight shifting that was used on the 3 wheel ATV's helped my learning experience to a large extent.

What pray tell does a professional Laser alignment cost??

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

All the above comments are spot on. Invest in a laser alignment first. The chances are, your bike needs it. Most do if it has not been done. DO NOT take the word of any BRP mechanic who may tell you your alignment is within spec. Get it laser aligned. Secondly make sure you have correct tire pressures. If you have the OEM Kendas, go with what your bike says they should be. If the bike is still not ridable at speed, it is probably your tires. They may look good but in reality be "broken". That happened to me. I tried EVERYTHING and still my Spyder was not ridable over 65MPH. I replaced all 3 tires with good quality tires and instantly I was in Spyder heaven. I was able to set the cruise control to freeway speeds and comfortably sit back with finger tips only on the handlebars and enjoy the ride. It can happen. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I was somewhat scared of my 2014 early days. I took a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. They teach a lot of great safety info but they corrected my riding through curves. Look ahead, not down. That was the best info I got. It made the ride for me, feel safe and I learned. Now I can go through 90 degree turns at 90. OKOKOK. I play it safe and still know the Spyder is actually in charge of the ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    I was somewhat scared of my 2014 early days. I took a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. They teach a lot of great safety info but they corrected my riding through curves. Look ahead, not down. That was the best info I got. It made the ride for me, feel safe and I learned. Now I can go through 90 degree turns at 90. OKOKOK. I play it safe and still know the Spyder is actually in charge of the ride.
    things are getting better in Spyder land.

Spyder Garage

Look down the road and not at the road...................

The Spyder will go where you are looking.........
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Look down the road and not at the road...................

The Spyder will go where you are looking.........
    I started riding seriously in 2006 when I got my Goldwing. Even yet I have to often fight the urge to watch the road close in. What I've done when I catch myself looking close in is pretend there is a rabbit running down the middle of the lane about 300 or more feet ahead of me. I keep my eyes on him and thus see the whole scene up ahead. It can be a challenge keeping that rabbit in view while going around curves!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I started riding seriously in 2006 when I got my Goldwing. Even yet I have to often fight the urge to watch the road close in. What I've done when I catch myself looking close in is pretend there is a rabbit running down the middle of the lane about 300 or more feet ahead of me. I keep my eyes on him and thus see the whole scene up ahead. It can be a challenge keeping that rabbit in view while going around curves!
    I keep running over the damn rabbits! Need faster rabbits!!!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White