Spyder Garage

Default Suspension Roll Centers

Has anyone altered the handling of their Spyder by adjusting the front suspension roll centers via ride height?

If so, can you share what settings were best and worst.

To keep this topic aware, I fully understand the Spyders front suspension design is a simplistic A Arm setup, without adjustable caster or adjustable camber.

On Spyders with adjustable front spring preload, the chassis roll canter could be altered. With this, a change in camber could result.

While not specifically after a camber change, I would accept it if altering the chassis roll center could improve cornering beyond increasing toe in.

Spyder Garage

I gave mine three full turns of increased preload from stock and left it at that.Didn't measure anything just enjoyed the taughter feel and quicker response.
    Stock front tyres are a whisker funky on outer edges at 12,000klms but that could be my alignment settings.
    Wifes bike is stock base model F3 apart from a sway bar so non adjustable shocks (different internals possibly) and feels a little top heavy by comparison.
    We search out twisty roads and avoid highways where possible so different goals and riding styles in mind as usual.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Perhaps BajaRon could share some insights

BajaRon makes a range of suspension improvements so perhaps he could share some insights for the Spyders.

Suspensions are not simple. For instance, I ran my 8-cylinder track Mustang with the stock 1 5/8" front swaybar. At Thunderhill a BMW M3 driver who took turns with me being in front afterwards asked if I knew my inside wheel was lifting in the air. I didn't so I changed to the 4-cylinder 1 1/4" swaybar -- my wheels stayed on the ground and my times were better.

I have two points.

First, stiffer is not better. My preference is to manage spring, compression and rebound rates. However this can be very expensive.

Second, I don't have a deep understanding of 4-bar linkages. They are some sort of intellectual blind spot for me so I have to go by my and others experiences to iterate to a solution. I'm looking forward to other riders findings.

And thanks to PMK for creating this topic.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used two rubber donuts, one in each front shock spring. It takes away one spring coil from compressing making the spring stiffer. Along with BajaRon's sway bar, cornering now is like riding on a rail.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    BajaRon makes a range of suspension improvements so perhaps he could share some insights for the Spyders.

Suspensions are not simple. For instance, I ran my 8-cylinder track Mustang with the stock 1 5/8" front swaybar. At Thunderhill a BMW M3 driver who took turns with me being in front afterwards asked if I knew my inside wheel was lifting in the air. I didn't so I changed to the 4-cylinder 1 1/4" swaybar -- my wheels stayed on the ground and my times were better.

I have two points.

First, stiffer is not better. My preference is to manage spring, compression and rebound rates. However this can be very expensive.

Second, I don't have a deep understanding of 4-bar linkages. They are some sort of intellectual blind spot for me so I have to go by my and others experiences to iterate to a solution. I'm looking forward to other riders findings.

And thanks to PMK for creating this topic.
    Your welcome.
    Not needing an anti sway bar or upgraded shocks. Already have aftermarket Fox on the front and a BajaRon anti sway bar with metal links installed.

Merely want to optimize the roll center of the front suspension. With easy access to BUDS and a ROLO laser alignment setup, making readjustments to the front after making changes is easy.

Just curious where these “aggressive” riding style riders have set their front end suspension. I can sort it out, but trying to be a bit thrifty with time and why I asked. So few replies has me considering roll centers are not understood or optimized on the Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I used two rubber donuts, one in each front shock spring. It takes away one spring coil from compressing making the spring stiffer. Along with BajaRon's sway bar, cornering now is like riding on a rail.

No need for adding biscuits into the springs. Already have performance shocks installed and a BajaRon anti sway bar. Honestly, for our Spyder, adding biscuits would be counterproductive, but thanks for the reply.

You do mention your Spyder is on a rail, with you seated on it, can someone take a photo of the front lower suspension arms asseen from the front and looking straight towards the rear. If so, please post the photo, that would be a good start.

Not sure if you realize it, but increasing preload did alter the roll center. Adding the biscuit increased the springs effective rate, as you mentioned, it made the spring stiffer.

Also, what model and year Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Sorry,I cant answer your question PMK but I can tell you that I have adjusters and the sway bar and have tried altering the ride height several ways,up and down and have not been able to tell the difference.I also have tried running more or less air in the rear while on long highway rides and do feel that the bike is ever so slightly more stable when the rear is a little lower,probably due to slightly increased caster.I believe the real problem on the spyder is bump steer which will certainly be the most difficult to solve but would be the most beneficial.Every mod that is currently being done to the front of spyders is in essence stiffening them up which causes the bump steer problem to be decreased but causes a rougher ride.I have read in so many posts,it rides like its on rails but they never mention whether it also rides rougher.I would really like to know just how much rougher they feel.I would love to have less of that darty feel in high speed sweepers but just how much rougher would it get?My bike already got noticeably stiffer when I put on the swaybar so I wouldnt want it to get any worse.I realize some folks dont care much about comfort they just want the train ride.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Has anyone altered the handling of their Spyder by adjusting the front suspension roll centers via ride height?

If so, can you share what settings were best and worst.

To keep this topic aware, I fully understand the Spyders front suspension design is a simplistic A Arm setup, without adjustable caster or adjustable camber.

On Spyders with adjustable front spring preload, the chassis roll canter could be altered. With this, a change in camber could result.

While not specifically after a camber change, I would accept it if altering the chassis roll center could improve cornering beyond increasing toe in.
    I actually had to research “Suspension Roll” to educate myself on the topic. I learned something today. So... the next time I fall off taking a tight turn too fast I’ll blame it on Suspension Roll.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Sorry,I cant answer your question PMK but I can tell you that I have adjusters and the sway bar and have tried altering the ride height several ways,up and down and have not been able to tell the difference.I also have tried running more or less air in the rear while on long highway rides and do feel that the bike is ever so slightly more stable when the rear is a little lower,probably due to slightly increased caster.I believe the real problem on the spyder is bump steer which will certainly be the most difficult to solve but would be the most beneficial.Every mod that is currently being done to the front of spyders is in essence stiffening them up which causes the bump steer problem to be decreased but causes a rougher ride.I have read in so many posts,it rides like its on rails but they never mention whether it also rides rougher.I would really like to know just how much rougher they feel.I would love to have less of that darty feel in high speed sweepers but just how much rougher would it get?My bike already got noticeably stiffer when I put on the swaybar so I wouldnt want it to get any worse.I realize some folks dont care much about comfort they just want the train ride.
    As time permits, seems I need to do some testing to determine the best values for us on our Spyder. Already it handles very well, and has that planted feel. Yes the front Fox Shocks did firm it up slightly, and the BajaRon anti sway bar increased chassis roll stiffness. Bump steer is always a concern, and will not be entirely resolved without a major redesign which is not happening by me.

I have an idea of where I will begin in making change to the chassis setup, first though I need to get my current settings recorded as a baseline to return to if needed.

Straight line stability has not been an issue since I aligned it myself in 2014 and several times thereafter. The immediate evasive type handling is currently proven and does not upset the chassis enough to be a concern. This is likely based on spring rates and increased anti sway bar stiffness. Only on rare occasions does the Spyder even begin to cut hard to the inside. Overall though, I think the machine has more to offer up. Maybe I should remove the spring from one of my spare Fox Shocks and measure bump steer and plot it throughout the suspension travel, while turned in and turned out.

Consider though that if running automotive front tires, it is very likely increased roll stiffness is needed based on increased grip.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    I actually had to research “Suspension Roll” to educate myself on the topic. I learned something today. So... the next time I fall off taking a tight turn too fast I’ll blame it on Suspension Roll.
    Educate yourself to not fall off...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

spyder01 is pointing in the same direction as my thinking and experience: spring, compression and rebound rates.

The current cornering performance is adequate but the "dartiness" is disconcerting. Replacing the stock Kendas (year 2015) with Vredestein Quatrac 5 | 165/60R15 on the fronts made a big improvement. I haven't experimented with tire pressures yet. A few days later I replaced the stock Kenda (year 2018) with Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring | 215/60R15 but my butt isn't sensitive enough to determine if there was any change.

RaceTech is up the road from me so when my bank balance recovers I'll pay them a visit. I'm thinking front shocks with softer springs, a bit higher compression rate, and a bit lower rebound rate. They might also have something to say about a bump steer mitigation. There were a number of solutions for Mustangs so maybe something similar can be fabricated for the Spyder.

Meanwhile I'm going to adjust the toe-in as PMK advised.

Spyder Garage

spyder01 is pointing in the same direction as my thinking and experience: spring, compression and rebound rates.

The current cornering performance is adequate but the "dartiness" is disconcerting. Replacing the stock Kendas (year 2015) with Vredestein Quatrac 5 | 165/60R15 on the fronts made a big improvement. I haven't experimented with tire pressures yet. A few days later I replaced the stock Kenda (year 2018) with Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring | 215/60R15 but my butt isn't sensitive enough to determine if there was any change.

RaceTech is up the road from me so when my bank balance recovers I'll pay them a visit. I'm thinking front shocks with softer springs, a bit higher compression rate, and a bit lower rebound rate. They might also have something to say about a bump steer mitigation. There were a number of solutions for Mustangs so maybe something similar can be fabricated for the Spyder.

As a person with hands on suspension tuning for the past 45 years, you might get the recommendation to go with your request by Paul Thede of Race Tech, but honestly I doubt it. In simple terms, springs support and damping controls. Off road typically the better setup is adequate spring with minimal preload, and damping to suit. On road most times it is focused on the heavier machine and requires an adequate spring, running a lot of preload, and damping to suit. Overall, as for clickers, off road they make great sense, as the terrain can vary a lot. On road, but not on the track, a good setup of internal valving will not require external clickers, there simlpy is minimal need to make changes once set.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Educate yourself to not fall off...
    Velcro
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Urethane A-arm bushings?

PMK -- my experiences with urethane (and sometimes Delrin) bushings have been good, both for reduced deformation and friction. The Spyder A-arm bushings appear to be the standard metal-enclosed rubber. What is your assessment of performance improvement (specifically "dartiness") for replacing them with Energy Suspension, Prothane, etc bushings? Thanks.
    A-arm Bushing.jpg

Spyder Garage

When I installed the M2 shocks The directions recommended 4.25” to 4.5”. I set it right in the middle, but never tried any other settings to see if it made any difference.
    2013 RTS
    M2 Shocks
    Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55/15
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55/15
    Viair 97
    2013 RTS , Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DougE View Post
    When I installed the M2 shocks The directions recommended 4.25” to 4.5”. I set it right in the middle, but never tried any other settings to see if it made any difference.
    4.25” to 4.5” measured where, from ground to nose of Spyder?

Spyder Garage

PMK -- my experiences with urethane (and sometimes Delrin) bushings have been good, both for reduced deformation and friction. The Spyder A-arm bushings appear to be the standard metal-enclosed rubber. What is your assessment of performance improvement (specifically "dartiness") for replacing them with Energy Suspension, Prothane, etc bushings? Thanks.
    A-arm Bushing.jpg
    Have not swapped the oem bushings for urethane as of yet. Honestly, its a Spyder RTS, so it will take more than swapping bushings to lose the family tourer heritage it has. I am sure it could help, but the gain is likely minimal as on the RT the A Arms and chassis is kind of a noodle.

Spyder Garage

Of course don't forget you can always do it with lower profile tyres if available.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I was inquiring back/forth a bit with Jeff Zeliadt from Race Tech. For my particulars on my F3S, his response for spring rates were:
    "Probably in the range of 8.5Kg/mm front and 9.8Kg/mm rear." The Podium shocks on the front of my 2019 F3S are 86lb/in. The 8.5kg/mm equates to about 476lb/in. Those rates are quite a bit stiffer than the OEM rates.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

4.25” to 4.5” from the ground to the bottom of the frunk. DC7D6414-2246-4F16-9EC6-5AD300143377.jpg
    2013 RTS
    M2 Shocks
    Viair 97
    2013 RTS , Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Sorry the picture is upside down. I don’t know how to fix it.
    2013 RTS
    M2 Shocks
    Viair 97
    2013 RTS , Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Of course don't forget you can always do it with lower profile tyres if available.
    While this method does lower the roll center height, it does not optimize the geometry of the suspension. Will not work for what I plan to accomplish.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I was inquiring back/forth a bit with Jeff Zeliadt from Race Tech. For my particulars on my F3S, his response for spring rates were:
    "Probably in the range of 8.5Kg/mm front and 9.8Kg/mm rear." The Podium shocks on the front of my 2019 F3S are 86lb/in. The 8.5kg/mm equates to about 476lb/in. Those rates are quite a bit stiffer than the OEM rates.
    Might want to check your math, pretty sure you missed a decimal point...seriously though, that is huge difference if accurate.