Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Mom share a video of how she secure the Ryker to the Aluma MC210 Trailer

All,

I am Sharing a quick 4 minute clip of how I secure the Ryker to the trailer (maybe similar for you Spyder folks) I have done a lot of research and believe this to be the best & safest way without hurting the suspension or damaging the rims ... thoughts or suggestions welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXh5WOw0PMs

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rskdsk View Post
    All,

I am Sharing a quick 4 minute clip of how I secure the Ryker to the trailer (maybe similar for you Spyder folks) I have done a lot of research and believe this to be the best & safest way without hurting the suspension or damaging the rims ... thoughts or suggestions welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXh5WOw0PMs
    My system that I introduced to the Forum many years ago is so much simpler, less expensive, and way faster. In fact My Spyder can be Totally secured in the time it takes Her to do ONE of Her straps. Just put a Ratchet strap over the tire surface in-line with the Tread - Period. Others here tried it, liked it, and then took pics and posted them here ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2021 at 01:41 AM. Reason: '0 thers' = 'Others' ;-)

Spyder Garage

I'll see if I can find it on here ... I do want the best and easiest way without damaging anything.

Spyder Garage

When I saw rskdsk's video it looked simple enough so I went to the 2021 Ryker operator's guide to see how BRP recommended to secure the vehicle and was somewhat surprised to see they recommended securing a strap to the lower A-arm. I'm not an engineer but I doubt I would secure a Ryker by an A-arm if there were other options, one of which rskdsk appears to have found.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    When I saw rskdsk's video it looked simple enough so I went to the 2021 Ryker operator's guide to see how BRP recommended to secure the vehicle and was somewhat surprised to see they recommended securing a strap to the lower A-arm. I'm not an engineer but I doubt I would secure a Ryker by an A-arm if there were other options, one of which rskdsk appears to have found.
    ...X's 10 ..... Annnnnnnnd if you bend the suspension and complain to BRP about it ...... they will tell you - you did it wrong .....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...X's 10 ..... Annnnnnnnd if you bend the suspension and complain to BRP about it ...... they will tell you - you did it wrong .....jmho .... Mike
    It would be quite interesting to hear BRP's response when you tell them, "Well, I secured it the way you said in the operator's guide." They would probably claim something got lost in the translation from French.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

"Well, I secured it the way you said in the operator's guide." They would probably claim something got lost in the translation from French.
    Most likely the part that says "Ne fais pas ça de cette façon"
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rskdsk View Post
    I'll see if I can find it on here ... I do want the best and easiest way without damaging anything.
    A month ago you posted a question about securing a Spyder / ryker ..... that thread had pics of the over the tire ratchet strap method ....

Spyder Garage

Even though I feel secure with the method I have shown, I do like the idea of an over the tire option ... Maybe I'll pick up a couple for even more security as I plan on a cross country trip soon.

Spyder Garage

I noticed this evening in a Carvana TV commercial that company used over the tire tiedown straps.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I noticed this evening in a Carvana TV commercial that company used over the tire tiedown straps.
    Interesting .... I know MECUM's auto auction house uses this method because nothing gets touched except the tires and they are already scuffed .... and if not scuffed this method won't scuff them ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I attach mine as manual says through the rims on all 3 tires
    Is that wrong am I doing something to hurt bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    I attach mine as manual says through the rims on all 3 tires
    Is that wrong am I doing something to hurt bike
    When a New car is delivered to a Dealership, many of them are shipped with vacu-sealed wraps. There are No swirl marks on that paint .... However after the First Wash - swirls will appear on the paint and after you wash & wax it there will be lots more....... Do you honestly think a towel or piece of cloth isn't rubbing the paint under that strap ???? even a so-called micro fiber towel won't scratch the paint. Some Professional car movers ( as stated in a couple of posts above ) put the hold-down straps over the tires, so Nothing touches any Paint , even the Paint you can't see under the vehicle ..... I'm not guessing about this - it is fact ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I am not a professional hauler, but I buy at least 3 cars a year and usually have them delivered. Each time the transporter uses the tires as tie downs, so what is being outlined above makes sense to me.
    The other thing is I have seen suspensions get pulled out of alignment, get bent, etc... and rims get marked up by straps so that is why I created the video ... I wanted a better place to attach without causing any damage.
    Also, I realize that the owners manual indicates to use the a arms on the suspension, but do you really thing BRP is going to covered a new alignment why you have to conduct an emergency stop ... or cover a bent A arm ... I can hear it already "you must have ratcheted the straps too tight ... or we can not cover anything caused by trying to avoiding an accident."

Spyder Garage

Personally, I don't see any problems with your method in the video. You already purchased the components and are attached to the frame; and the ratchet straps you are using will not cause enough pressure to bend the suspension components. The only issue I have is using the tire rims as tie downs. I have done so, even using the slip-on covers that are supposed to prevent damage and still get paint rubbed off. I really don't think you need to tie the rear tire down at all, but if you are concerned I would definitely put something on the strap to protect the rim. Cars are much heavier than Spyders and the over the tire method is fine because they make webbed straps that actually capture the tire, not just go over them. Plus you have four tires to tie down, not three. If you were starting from scratch, maybe the over the tire method would be an approach to use, but like I said, there is nothing wrong with your method regardless of what others are saying. Safe travels!

Spyder Garage

Update: Added a really nice matching storage box to the MC210

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKDIL1_PK9Q

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    Personally, I don't see any problems with your method in the video. You already purchased the components and are attached to the frame; and the ratchet straps you are using will not cause enough pressure to bend the suspension components. The only issue I have is using the tire rims as tie downs. I have done so, even using the slip-on covers that are supposed to prevent damage and still get paint rubbed off. I really don't think you need to tie the rear tire down at all, but if you are concerned I would definitely put something on the strap to protect the rim. Cars are much heavier than Spyders and the over the tire method is fine because they make webbed straps that actually capture the tire, not just go over them. Plus you have four tires to tie down, not three. If you were starting from scratch, maybe the over the tire method would be an approach to use, but like I said, there is nothing wrong with your method regardless of what others are saying. Safe travels!
    The " strap over the tire method " doesn't need to be attached to the tire itself ..... Mine isn't and during two accidents the Spyder didn't move .... After the ratchet strap is tightened over the tire ..... No one ( even with a pry bar ) could move that strap off the tire. ../.. Mike