Spyder Garage

Default Ryker fuel filling - is it just me, or are they slow??

Is it me or are the Ryker fuel tanks a very slow job filling up I seem to get a couple of blowback when trying to fill up

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Depends upon fill rate from the pump.
    Some of my regular fuel stops had both fast and slow pumps.
    I quickly learned not to use fast fill pumps.

Do you insert the nozzle fully into the neck?
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

thanks
    maybe we have fast pumps over here but i did try to take it easy so I suppose more care is needed
    I,m used to filling motorcycle tanks fast with no issues

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine fills just fine.Probably the easiest bike that I have ever had to fill.

Spyder Garage

So far I've probably fueled up at around 15 different gas stations, allways using the auto shut off on the nozzle, no issues what so ever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frankclock View Post
    Is it me or are the Ryker fuel tanks a very slow job filling up I seem to get a couple of blowback when trying to fill up
    Does that blowback happen everywhere/every time you fill Frank? Have you tried a different gas station to see if a completely different pump/nozzle does the same thing??

The nozzles on gas pumps have a 'breather thingy' (sorry about the highly technical term ) inside them that's meant to allow the handset &/or pump to detect incipient blowback & cut off the gas flow before that happens; as well as triggering the auto cut-off when gas reaches that full level.... it does depend on the size of the tank & filler neck of the vehicle somewhat, but on some nozzles, these 'breather thingies' can get damaged or otherwise compromised & either stop the cut-off occurring at all; or trigger the cut-off the moment any gas starts to flow into the tank - making filling up either really messy, a situation that usually means complaints & therefore management attention so they get fixed pdq; or painfully slow to fill, especially for some gas tanks/filler necks/vehicles/Rykers, which probably won't get the same complaints &/or management attention & so may take a looong time to get fixed!!

So while it's still not certain this is what's happening to you/your Ryker Frank, it might pay to try another gas pump &/or a completely different gas station - your problem could simply be the way those particular nozzles &/or pumps have been set up or damaged over time & not reset/repaired?!?

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2021 at 08:26 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I'm more concerned about the rate that mine empties than I am about how fast it fills. I did a 325 mile group ride with some friends on Saturday and had to add fuel three times.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Takes some experimenting. I always use the handy dandy fill tube provided and hold the nozzle about a third of the way above the bottom of that. Works well most everywhere, and if I do get any blowback, it drains nicely - not sure where ... ;-}

Only real problem I've had is getting the gas cap off. It's got a typical click stop feature, but tends to be a PITA to loosen up if I do any more than one click. And thanx for the reminder - plan is to rub the mating edges with some silicone grease and see if that helps.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine is slow too. I insert the nozzle and cannot go full flow! Maybe 1/2 flow… but i dont care the tank is like 20liters I think so…

Spyder Garage

I didn't realize that we're supposed to use that filler spout every time we refuel. Personally, I haven't had any issues. I run the pump about half flow.

RYKER_FUELING_PROCEDURE.jpg
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KnurledNut View Post
    I didn't realize that we're supposed to use that filler spout every time we refuel. Personally, I haven't had any issues. I run the pump about half flow.

RYKER_FUELING_PROCEDURE.jpg
    Not.

fuel.jpg

Spyder Garage

I've managed to get a small gusher or two even using the spout. At least there's no paint to eat off. I also got some dribbles down the outside of the tank until I figured it out. Not sure where those spills went, but I wasn't wearing any gas when I got home, so no worries, eh.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I stick the nozzle all the way in and do a fast fill until it auto stops from back pressure. After that I pull the nozzle almost out and do a slow fill until it tops off the tank.
    I did come across a gas station once that didn't allow a slow fill. They got less of my money because I gave up trying to finish filling the tank.