Spyder Garage

Default Any suggestions on an Inexpensive Spare wheel?

Hi everyone, I am planning a cross country trip on my Spyder. I will change my tires mid April and want to use the old one as a spare. However, I have no idea where to get a wheel for the SPyder that isn’t expensive. My plan is that if I have a flat, I’ll change to the spare and as soon as I get to civilization getting the newer tire repaired. Any suggestions appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I have never had a flat in 69 year of riding and tires back in the day were crap. Ditch the idea about the spare and get a Slime (or some other brand) complete tire repair kit. It includes all that's needed to repair tubeless tire punctures, plus an air compressor and is very compact - not like a spare.
    Also have AAA Plus, or some other equal roadside service insurance and you are golden. Have fun on your rides and quit worrying about what, chances are, will never happen.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I have never had a flat in 69 year of riding and tires back in the day were crap. Ditch the idea about the spare and get a Slime (or some other brand) complete tire repair kit. It includes all that's needed to repair tubeless tire punctures, plus an air compressor and is very compact - not like a spare.
    Also have AAA Plus, or some other equal roadside service insurance and you are golden. Have fun on your rides and quit worrying about what, chances are, will never happen.
    Just get a tire repair kit if you need and some thing like AAA RV plan that will tow and or road side assist if needed that way your covered if its a tire or other problem. AAA RV will tow your Spyder 200 miles to a Spyder repair shop if needed.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AAA left me stranded . I will never use them again. Tire repair would be better IMO.
    A spare would be large and bulky to carry around. You may find one on ebay probably not cheap and beat up.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    .... been riding for 60+ years, got one flat on a GW ( because the tire was marginal ) .... good luck .... PS the rear might be more likely to get the flat, especially if it's a Crapenda ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Might want to think about AmerSeal tire sealant. Lamonster has an excellent price.

Spyder Garage

No need to carry a spare. I carry a tire plug in kit along with small CO2 bottles purchased from a bicycle shop. They can also sell you a valve that attaches to your tire inflation valve, Allowing you to hook up the CO2 bottles to your tire after you repair it with the plug kit. It takes 2 to 3 bottles to inflate a tire to proper pressure. I’ve done several for other bike riders but none for myself. I might also add that tire shops hate nothing more than sealant sprayed into a tubeless tire. Most will charged extra because the seal has to be cleaned off the rims to get a proper seal for the new tire or after repair.

Spyder Garage

I carry a bicycle pump. Not the fastest way but virtually indestructible, needs no electric, takes minimal space, and you never run out of CO2 cartridges.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

You have an excellent opportunity to show us your Continental tire mounting kit for a Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a 100 mile trip with a full-sized spare tire/wheel tied onto your spyder, then take the same trip a second time with a flat repair kit in your trunk/frunk and see just which one is more practical.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
    Might want to think about AmerSeal tire sealant. Lamonster has an excellent price.
    plug kit, small compressor, {preferred} AMA roadside assistance(or similar), & good credit card lot less space than a spare even if towing a trailer with the tires being directional, different width fronts or rear, just 1 spare ain’t gonna cut it not to mention hassle most shops have just attempting :spyder2 rims& tires

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/tire-sealant-4/

https://americanmotorcyclist.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-VE.../dp/B07ZFQJQRV
    Last edited by Bfromla; 04-02-2021 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Which wheel are you looking to carry?
    The front or the rear?
    You would need to carry both to make sure you are covered plus a jack and braker bar with socket. That's a lot to carry.
    I was part of the group that rode to Alaska in 2015. A few of the members did carry a spare wheel/tire, but none actually needed to use one, and it took up a lot of room in their trailer
    I carried a plug kit and a very small compressor with me on long trips, but haven't needed it yet. I also have AAA roadside assistance.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

A spare wheel is probably a bit of overkill, unless your driving a Ural with a side car.

In most cases, if you ride on newer tires, as opposed to bald skins, you are not likely to have issues with the tire blowing out and leaving you stranded. The suggestion for "slime" or similar repair kits is pretty good. Sort of anti Murphy's Law. If you have the insurance, you are most likely not to need it.

All that said, and not wanting to have Murphy get me, read my signature. Seven Spyders, almost 200K miles, no tire issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I sort of believed just slime and either or repair kit was enough but experience matters so thanks for your experience comments.