Spyder Garage

Default Yet another tyre question

I have an RSS 2011 i have decided that i will be buying A new rear tyre Vredestein Quatrac 5 205/60 R15 H (91).

From looking about it appears to be a respected tyre, but what PSI are people running them at?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

16 to 18 PSI
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    16 to 18 PSI
    Thank you, how much would you increase it with a pillion on?

Spyder Garage

I have all 3 Vredestein Q5 on my 2016 F3L and I run 20lbs all around. I tried 16 and then 18 but 20 felt it handled better and had a great ride.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RNBOB View Post
    I have all 3 Vredestein Q5 on my 2016 F3L and I run 20lbs all around. I tried 16 and then 18 but 20 felt it handled better and had a great ride.
    Bob
    Cheers, i will soon know after a few miles if i should stick in a couple of lbs extra.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob
    F3L weight is 950 Lbs. with a 1330 engine the RSS is 700 Lbs. with a 998 engine. Do run what PSI you think is best for your riding style. There are some good post here on the subject of tire air pressure.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh1 View Post
    I have an RSS 2011 i have decided that i will be buying A new rear tyre Vredestein Quatrac 5 205/60 R15 H (91).

From looking about it appears to be a respected tyre, but what PSI are people running them at?
    Peter and I have done the science on Spyder tire PSI 's ..... for normal 15-16 front ... 18 rear .... if you are aggressive up them one lb. .... Spyders are lightweight, & using an Auto tire means you have to compensate for the weight difference ... ie. less PSI is waaaaaaay better and safer and more riding comfort .... annnnnnnnnnnnd better traction, especially on wet roads .... I discovered the Vredestein Q-5 about a year ago and have been recommending it, it Currently is the best tire for all Spyders ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh1 View Post
    Cheers, i will soon know after a few miles if i should stick in a couple of lbs extra.
    ... Trust me ... your Butt is not an accurate traction measuring device read my post #7 ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Peter and I have done the science on Spyder tire PSI 's ..... for normal 15-16 front ... 18 rear .... if you are aggressive up them one lb. .... Spyders are lightweight, & using an Auto tire means you have to compensate for the weight difference ... ie. less PSI is waaaaaaay better and safer and more riding comfort .... annnnnnnnnnnnd better traction, especially on wet roads .... I discovered the Vredestein Q-5 about a year ago and have been recommending it, it Currently is the best tire for all Spyders ...... Mike
    I tried Mikes recommendation for about 100 miles then raised to what I liked. They did great in a blinding downpour for 2 hours it felt rock solid. I agree try it at Mikes recommendation you might like it better than I did. He recommended the Q5 and I love them.
    Mike have you installed the Q5's on the front of your Spyder yet?
    Bob

Spyder Garage

I tried Mikes recommendation for about 100 miles then raised to what I liked. They did great in a blinding downpour for 2 hours it felt rock solid. I agree try it at Mikes recommendation you might like it better than I did. He recommended the Q5 and I love them.
    Mike have you installed the Q5's on the front of your Spyder yet?
    Bob
    There's more to Best tire than Total traction .... there's comfort, the tire is also a part of the suspension system. .... and depending on the weight of the vehicle the PSI can make a big difference in comfort. The higher the PSI the Less flex the tire has. .. during my training I watched ( proprietary ) video's of tire testing using very sophisticated measuring instruments. .... It's interesting to how a couple of pounds of PSI can mean. For Peter and I, it's science that determines what we tell everyone here ... .... and on My Q-5's , I still have a few miles left on the RT 43's on the front of my RT ..... thanks ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Cheers blueknight, i will go with your experience, unfortunatly i couldn't get the q5, there seems to be a backlog of tyres coming into the uk at the moment, so i have gone with this tyre
    Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun 205/60 R15 V (91) it did well in recent test against other tyres, and on the user ratings scores solidly across the board so i bought it before they tell me that is also out of stock.

I have on at the moment a yokohama advan fleva, and the grip on it has been awsome, but again not in stock and no date for more coming in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... Trust me ... your Butt is not an accurate traction measuring device read my post #7 ..... Mike
    Right on Mike. And I get a kick out of how many people swear up and down they have an accurate Butt dino.