Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires again

Spyder Garage

So in the first picture is my OEM Kenda tire stating to mount on a 5.0 J style wheel(5.0 is 5" wide bead width). J style is the standard car wheel bead type rim. The second and third pictures are of the amount of balance weights with the Kenda OEM tires. Discount Tire could not balance my Federal Formoza AZ01's as they did not have a cone to fit the Spyder wheels. Hearing that the Federal's require little or no weights I just installed that and they run very smooth. I run the fronts at 16.5 PSI. I have my new General setting in the man cave weighting to be installed with guidance from a friend that just did his.

The Kenda are rated to 481 lbs and the Federal 863 lbs. Kenda's note for motorcycle only, which is an acknowledgement that their rating is not enough for a car application.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I currently run Hankook Ventus V4 ES tires on the front at 18 lbs. Size is 175/55/R15. I have 33,000 miles on them with plenty of tread left. I should be able to get 40,000 miles. I have the General Altimax RT43 on the rear with 21,000 miles. Size is 215/60/R15. I’m running 20lbs in the rear. I should be able to get 25,000 to 30,000 miles out of it. When I replace my rear tire I may stay with the Altimax but am also interested in the Hankook Kinergy PT H737. Size is also 215/60/R15.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Genuinely curious, after reading all the posts here, what size do you get the Vredestein Quatrac 5 in? I cannot find this tires in the OEM size (165/55 R15).

Spyder Garage

For all those folks changing tires on newer Spyders still under warranty - are the recommendations here approved by BRP or does adding a different brand tire void the warranty?

From the 2020-2021 RT Owners manual it states as Exclusions - Are Not Warranted: Damage resulting from the installation of parts with specifications that differ from the original Product parts, such as, without limitation, different tires,
    exhaust system, wheels or brakes.

I am assuming that there would never be any damage from the better tires but that could get into a debate if there are any issues anything related to steering/suspension/ etc? Would appreciate some perspective on that or if this should be in a new post?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eschmid2 View Post
    For all those folks changing tires on newer Spyders still under warranty - are the recommendations here approved by BRP or does adding a different brand tire void the warranty?

From the 2020-2021 RT Owners manual it states as Exclusions - Are Not Warranted: Damage resulting from the installation of parts with specifications that differ from the original Product parts, such as, without limitation, different tires,

I am assuming that there would never be any damage from the better tires but that could get into a debate if there are any issues anything related to steering/suspension/ etc? Would appreciate some perspective on that or if this should be in a new post?
    You are correct. If you install different tires, exhaust,wheels, brakes they will not cover the tires, exhaust,wheels, brakes that YOU installed as they did not come as original equipment. Never had to replace the tires on your car before the warranty ran out? Did the manufacturer void the warranty because of it?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

EdMat - its not so much about warranty on the tires but if there could be any argument, valid or not, that the change in tires for example created any damage in other parts as thats how it is stated in the warranty clause - so if I had a legitimate BRP suspension problem for example and took it in for warranty - and the dealer sees the new and different tires and then BRP says "hey those tires could have created said damage so warranty void" that's my question really as it seems possible. Companies will find ways to avoid paying for warranty work -that's the nature of my question as I fully well understand and appreciate all the recommended tires are better than OEM

Spyder Garage

EdMat - its not so much about warranty on the tires but if there could be any argument, valid or not, that the change in tires for example created any damage in other parts as thats how it is stated in the warranty clause - so if I had a legitimate BRP suspension problem for example and took it in for warranty - and the dealer sees the new and different tires and then BRP says "hey those tires could have created said damage so warranty void" that's my question really as it seems possible. Companies will find ways to avoid paying for warranty work -that's the nature of my question as I fully well understand and appreciate all the recommended tires are better than OEM
    The dealer you choose would likely be the difference in getting a warranty claim approved. Unless BRP sends a rep to exam the failure, the DEALER makes the call as to whether you get screwed or not.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nycgordonf View Post
    Genuinely curious, after reading all the posts here, what size do you get the Vredestein Quatrac 5 in? I cannot find this tires in the OEM size (165/55 R15).
    165/60/15
    Also fills up the wheel-well quite nice with the slightly higher sidewall.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The warranty is covered by the " Moss Magnussen Act " .... BRP would have to PROVE the non-BRP part caused the failure, Putting a much better tire on the Spyder ( ie auto tire ) is going to be hard to prove IT caused the failure ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I was not aware of the " Moss Magnussen Act " , I also assumed the burden of proof would be on me to prove that the new parts were NOT the responsible for said problem. However when looking online at the " Moss Magnussen Act " I am reading the following:

"The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance".

BLUEKNIGHT911 was absolutely correct that the burden is on the warrantor BRP to prove it . I feel much better now thinking about adding new tires on my new S2S! This forum is great! Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I was not aware of the " Moss Magnussen Act " , I also assumed the burden of proof would be on me to prove that the new parts were NOT the responsible for said problem. However when looking online at the " Moss Magnussen Act " I am reading the following:

"The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance".

BLUEKNIGHT911 was absolutely correct that the burden is on the warrantor BRP to prove it . I feel much better now thinking about adding new tires on my new S2S! This forum is great! Thanks!
    Soooooooooooooooo glad I didn't have to explain it .... I'm a poor typist ..... When you have to do the fronts ... the best tire for Spyders in sizes that fit is the Vredestein Q-5 ..... not the least expensive but they are the best ( note the new Michelin " cross-climate " is a wee bit better - but they don't have our sizes ) ....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    So, here I am with a 2020 RT with 4500 miles on it and thought I
    would see what is considered to be best buy on tires. Fronts will stay
    as a motorcycle type and the rear will be a car type. I have had a car type
    on my 2015 and 2017 can am and like the ride and feel not to mention the
    mileage on the tires. Size and brand would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Dray
    Motorcycle tires won't work on the front wheels of a Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I need another bag of popcorn!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I need another bag of popcorn!!
    Please share
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Please share
    Tires, then motor oil and finally sway bars. Pick your poison. I am hitting on all three cylinders. Federal x2/General x1 tires, Rotella T-6 and Bajaron's sway bar, how bad of me!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyScamp View Post
    A couple of days ago, I noticed the center of the rear tire on my 2018 RT was showing wear. I contacted a dealer about 40 miles from here to check on options for replacement. Since they are fairly new to the Spyder game, they advised me that they had never done that job before. They said the book shows it as a 3 hour job. They have Kendas in stock, but said they would install another brand if I provided one of the same size.
    Does 3 hours sound reasonable?
    I'm still looking at other options.
    The shop that did my rear tire charged me $100... of course, it was an actual tire shop, run by a guy who rydes an RT so I figured that was fair. Took him about an hour, and he chatted with me for a LOT of it

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should look into, shipping Michelin Cross climate, to the USA, wonder If it could be cost effective, I paid for two fronts 175/60-15 200 euro, incl. mounting and balancing, sofar I have driven these tyres for a little over 750km's, and they are indeed, way better then the stock kenda's. If there is interest for, i am happy to look into it.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZCanAm View Post
    165/60/15
    Also fills up the wheel-well quite nice with the slightly higher sidewall.
    Thank you. I suspected as much. I almost bought them in 175/55 size only to realize that size is only rated T (118mph). Went back and bought the 165/60 which were H rated. In fact it’s the only tire that size that tire rack carries that’s rated H. Everything else is T.

Looking forward to putting them on my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nycgordonf View Post
    Thank you. I suspected as much. I almost bought them in 175/55 size only to realize that size is only rated T (118mph). Went back and bought the 165/60 which were H rated. In fact it’s the only tire that size that tire rack carries that’s rated H. Everything else is T.

Looking forward to putting them on my Spyder.
    My pleasure bud. I love the turns now. The feel is amazing and they look great (in my opinion).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Maybe I should look into, shipping Michelin Cross climate, to the USA, wonder If it could be cost effective, I paid for two fronts 175/60-15 200 euro, incl. mounting and balancing, sofar I have driven these tyres for a little over 750km's, and they are indeed, way better then the stock kenda's. If there is interest for, i am happy to look into it.
    Shipping ( on top of the price of the tire ) would be more than the cost of the tire. .... a couple of years back I mailed a very small and less than 1lb. package to Australia and that cost $27.00 .... Yes it was a lot further but it wasn't the size and weight of two tires....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Tires, then motor oil and finally sway bars. Pick your poison. I am hitting on all three cylinders. Federal x2/General x1 tires, Rotella T-6 and Bajaron's sway bar, how bad of me!
    Oh please!!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azcanam View Post
    my pleasure bud. I love the turns now. The feel is amazing and they look great (in my opinion).

nice!!!!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Based on posts about the performance of Vredestein tires, I bought Quatrac 5 SL for the front and Sprint +SL for the rear. Tirerack for the three sat 375. HAD to get 215/50R15 for the rear. Apparently Vredestein does not make a 225. I hope it does well. On the rear, I replaced the Kenda rear at about 1 K miles. i used Altimax 43 which didn't last long. Then used Kumho AST for 20K miles plus and will change this week at 42k miles. i changed factory Kenda at 1000 miles with Continental Conticonticontact Pro and have used them for 5 years. I still have 9mm tread. Based on this forum, I am expecting exceptional performane. Like taking a 90 at, ok, less than that but with confidence. I will leave next week for a couple thousand mile ride. I'm thinking of coffee in Fargo. I'll let you know.

Spyder Garage

All thanks to the generous donation from RayBJ.

Spyder Garage

Ok... really dumb girl question here... please don’t beat me..too hard anyway... been reading ALL the tire threads out here... I know NOTHING about tires and sizes and what brands are good or bad... so why are people putting one brand and/or type of tire on the front vs. a different tire on the back? For example, why not put the Vredestein Q5 tire on all the way around? Thanks.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...