Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Mom installs the Slingmods 3 piece luggage kit

All,

I just uploaded the video of my installation of the Slingmods 3 piece luggage kit. I tried to show a better way to assemble the wiring harness and I also showed the installation of the side bag holders ... both not demonstrated in the Slingmods installation video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUG57qNu378

Spyder Garage

Great video
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Very well done, just got done doing my wife's Ryker bag system. Great setup and makes the bike more visible with the extra lights. We now have them on both our trikes.

Spyder Garage

I did notice that riding 2 up with the bags causes it to bottom out on some bumps even with the adjustable shock on 4. My husband and I weigh in at a total of about 260-270lbs so I find this shocking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rskdsk View Post
    I did notice that riding 2 up with the bags causes it to bottom out on some bumps even with the adjustable shock on 4. My husband and I weigh in at a total of about 260-270lbs so I find this shocking.
    The "4" setting you are talking about is the damper, not the shock stiffness. You will need to adjust the shock using the two lock nuts on the shock to a stiffer setting. There are recommended setting in the manual for two-up riding. You will need a special spanner wrench to do that and I find it easier to lift the back wheel off the ground when adjusting, especially to a stiffer setting. There are a couple of videos on using the spanner (Ryker Rides has one) and probably a thread on this forum which I haven't searched for yet. Even with that, you may want to add a bumper of some sort under the bag frame just to soften the blow if you continue to bottom out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    The "4" setting you are talking about is the damper, not the shock stiffness. You will need to adjust the shock using the two lock nuts on the shock to a stiffer setting. There are recommended setting in the manual for two-up riding. You will need a special spanner wrench to do that and I find it easier to lift the back wheel off the ground when adjusting, especially to a stiffer setting. There are a couple of videos on using the spanner (Ryker Rides has one) and probably a thread on this forum which I haven't searched for yet. Even with that, you may want to add a bumper of some sort under the bag frame just to soften the blow if you continue to bottom out.
    Here's the link to Ryker Rides video; https://youtu.be/YyszeCbwfmo

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the help!

I did figure I would need to adjust the shock stiffness and I have reviewed a few videos. I am going to buy the "adjustable oil wrench or sink strainer wrench" as it looks much easier to work with than the spanner. I did notice that in some videos they show moving both the locking and the adjusting nut at the same time (adjusting preload), which would seem wrong to me and possibly making it a much harder task.

Also, most video seem to be of the 900cc without the rally upgraded shock. My understanding is that the shocks are different but are adjusted in the same manner.

Looks like another DYI video opportunity coming soon ...

Spyder Garage

Nicely done video! And on top of an excellent video, you've a tidy three car garage, a Fiat 124 Spider, and a cat assistant! What more could a person wish for? Well done, and you're fortunate as I've seen that the three piece set is now on backorder at SlingMods for some time come apparently.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rskdsk View Post
    I know what you mean - the only chance is to add a "spring travel limiter" in the rear shock - we ( 300lbs together) have the FOX-shock in the hardest position and if we bottom out the max-mount makes 2 "scar" in the rear "closed" fender of our 900 .. ( the rubber rings costs 1 dollar - they should add one, if they sell a rack like this !!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Yes I had to wait 4 weeks for my luggage kit.

Chris do you have a pic of it installed. I adjusted the shock preload today but it still seems a bit to low over bumps