Spyder Garage

Default Two wheels to three

Back in the early days of this site, a member posted a response to some comments about the differences between steering on two wheels versus three.
    I ran across it while reading some old posts and thought it was worth reposting. Here it is....."

Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    The main difference between 2-wheelers and the Spyder is the in steering input. Your 50 years of experience will both help and hurt you at first. You've developed a significant amount of steering memory in those arms. The brain says "turn right" & it happens. The arms already know what to do without having to think about every little act to get it done.

2-wheelers require a technique known as counter-steering, which involve inputs into the steering opposite the desired direction. You push forward on the right handlebar (in effect, turning the handlebars left) to initiate a right hand lean & entering into a right hand turn. Whether you've realized it or not, you've been using counter-steering for 50 years. Your arms know how to do it with you having to consciously think about how to do it.

The Spyder requires a direct steering input method: Steer right to turn right. I found I had to consciously think about how to make the turn on the Spyder because of all my years on the Goldwing. This is the case also while steering straight. You are constantly making small steering changes to stay in the center of the lane (BRP's recommended lane position, by the way). You might find this difficult at first because those arms are constantly wanting to steer you in the opposite direct you want to go. You'll have to reteach them new techniques to overcome so many years of muscle memory.

One more thing...

Timing on when to enter the turns is different than on 2-wheelers. The counter-steering technique requires you to begin the turn steering inputs before you actually want to start the turn. You steer left, which initiates a right hand lean and then a right hand turn. There's a slight delay between the the time of the initial steering input and before the turn actually start. Again, this is something you likely haven't thought about for years, but it happens. It's something your arms already know. If you use the same timing on the Spyder, you'll find you are entering the turn a little too soon and will have to make a course correction to make the corner correctly. Just be aware that when you enter steering inputs that is when the Spyder begins the steering change. You may have to consciously think about when to turn.

I hope this is helpful. When I realized why I was having difficulties, correcting it was much easier & riding more enjoyable. I still have the Goldwing and I have found that switching between the two is easy.
    Mark

That's the best explanation of the difference between two and three that I've ever seen on here.

Well done.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Or ride a snowmobile or jet ski for years and not have a problem with the Spyder.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I was just going to mention the snowmobile effect - realized this while doing my first demo ride. Very similar, especially in how you stabilize your body in a turn, turning left - squeeze the cowling/fairing with your left thigh, right turn similar. I rode the older style snowmobiles where you would also hook your foot in under the front cowling to assist as well. Adding a heavier duty sway bar and better shocks is also recommended - try to flatten out the roll. Did this in the snowmobiling community for years. Cheers
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

I raced Karts in the past so getting used to the spyder steering was a very short learning curve. I still miss the ease of cornering with 2 wheels.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I used to ride a lot of 4-wheeler's and honestly to me it's the same except you gotta learn how to dodge dead animals and potholes with three wheels.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Let me offer a counterpoint. I also rode 2 wheels for decades, about half the time on a Goldwing. In addition to the steering difference you will find the Spyder requires more physical effort - a LOT more physical effort. On the Spyder you have to turn and hold the bars through the entire tum. I am sure many do not consider this a disadvantage and enjoy muscling the beast through the twisties. I am not one of those people. In contrast, steering on two wheels is virtually effortless. A turn takes a slight push and lean to establish the bank angle, then the reverse to straighten out. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy riding the Spyder. Even after I got to the point where steering is second nature, it will never give the free and easy ride I had on 2 wheels. Unfortunately 2-wheels is no longer an option for me and the Spyder is WAY better than not riding at all.

Spyder Garage

The effort reminds me of riding 3 wheel ATV's, the ones the Gubmit banned. My Family and myself had no trouble once we learned the proper leaning techniques. I raced high performance 3 and 4 wheel ATV's for years so learning to ride the Spyder was very easy.

Dodging 'roadkill' however takes some real concentration!

I have been riding Motorcycles and Maxi-Scooters for 58 years and have had 88 bikes but this 2021 RT SE6 is my first 3 wheel street ride.

The FUN is back again!

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

Having piloted a Goldwing/sidecar rig for several years prior to buying my first Spyder, it didn't take too long get used to steering the Spyder's 3-wheel configuration vs. the non-symmetrical hack. However, it took a little longer to get used to not seeing someone/something beside me when I looked down and to the right!
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

I came off a Harley TriGlide so no adjustment necessary. Sure appreciate the easy steering on the Spyder. Was the main reason I left Harley after many, many years. Some things I miss from my Harley days though, manuals, Infotainment System, turns signal switches, and hand brake.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I totally agree with wmjweber45 on steering. The other adaptation I found difficult was driving in the middle of the lane because a half-century ago that was to be avoided due to the oil streak. Old habits.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    I totally agree with wmjweber45 on steering. The other adaptation I found difficult was driving in the middle of the lane because a half-century ago that was to be avoided due to the oil streak. Old habits.
    The center of the lane contains nails, screws, glass and other tire eaters that the two-trackers didn't pick up.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

well my 2020 F3-limited is waiting for a decent day to be delivered, i have a 1500 vulcan which is for sale. ive had many atv's, and still have one and always will have an atv. im sure i will adapt easily to 3 wheels, im having it delivered, so i can start out on a ride, from my house, in the country where there is no traffic, i will work up to busy roads as time goes on.. possible next week for a delivery as its snowing this morning,, arrrggggg...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    Let me offer a counterpoint. I also rode 2 wheels for decades, about half the time on a Goldwing. In addition to the steering difference you will find the Spyder requires more physical effort - a LOT more physical effort. On the Spyder you have to turn and hold the bars through the entire tum. I am sure many do not consider this a disadvantage and enjoy muscling the beast through the twisties. I am not one of those people. In contrast, steering on two wheels is virtually effortless. A turn takes a slight push and lean to establish the bank angle, then the reverse to straighten out. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy riding the Spyder. Even after I got to the point where steering is second nature, it will never give the free and easy ride I had on 2 wheels. Unfortunately 2-wheels is no longer an option for me and the Spyder is WAY better than not riding at all.
    yup. I started biking in 1968 on a Honda 90 the progressed upward in size and power from there until 1980 when I had to sell my first BMW to pay off some medical bills. 20 years later I had a good enough job to get back into biking and started with a 1200cc boxer. Then along came a Spyder for my wife. We had read and been told they would be easy for her to ride. It didn't take long to figure out she tired very quickly on the Spyder. So much so that if we want to ride together for more than an hour, it has to be two-up on the Spyder as that is about as long as she has stamina for.

OH WELL, my creeping arthritis will some day dictate it's time to give up two wheels and just ride the Spyder. Meanwhile; when I go alone, it is almost always on one of the bikes. When we go together, it's on her Spyder and I get to sit back and relax while she drives for the first hour.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Keep in mind the physics of the two systems. With two wheels there is a 'sweet spot' in cornering where the combination of speed, radius of the curve, bank, and lean of the bike, that will cause the bike to go around the curve with no steering effort required. It'll literally steer itself around the curve. Then there is gravity and centrifugal force. Obviously the center of gravity of you and the bike is off to one side when you are leaning. Stop instantly and you fall over. Centrifugal force going around the curve offsets the pull of gravity so the net force acting on you and the bike goes down through the vertical centerline of the bike to the pavement. Your body is pushed downward into the seat and not to either side.

With three wheels there is of course no lean. Gravity pulls your body down into the seat but the centrifugal force of the curve pushes your body outward. The net force pushes you to the side and down. If you lean your body you get that force in line with your body and so the sideways pull is reduced or eliminated. As has been said, you drive a Spyder through a curve because it's natural tendency is to go straight ahead.

You ride a two wheeler through a curve. You drive a Spyder through a curve.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Excellent description. Spot on and full marks..
    2016 Spyder F3-L Special Series
    2016 Spyder RT Special Series