Spyder Garage

Default Anyone pull a Kayak on a trailer? What trailer works?

Anyone ever pull a kayak with your spyder if so what tailer would work

Spyder Garage

I’d contact our site sponsor. (USA Trailer) Not sure if they still make it but I saw this a couple years ago. Very well made. I looked on their site but didn’t see it. I’d call them and ask.

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Kayak...language=en_US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohJ2Wv6xSE

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I built one using a HF HAUL-MASTER 1090 Lb. Capacity 40-1/2 In X 48 In Utility Trailer, I extended the tongue (using a 2”x2”x1/8” 10’ tongue steel, but may change to aluminum) bolted a 1/8” thick maybe smaller diamond plate for floor ( you could leave open I did it for looks and strength), used J cradles to hold the kayaked. One is a Hobie 11’ the other Hobie 13’. I’m going to check the tongue weight soon when the weather breaks in NY. I do know triton sells a trailer that I saw behind a Can Am Spyder RT but I already had this trailer I used to haul our mountain bikes around on behind a Yamaha Venture, Victory Cross Country Tour and then my 2016 Can Am RTL.
    I’m sure the Spyder will be ok but I’m just checking tongue weight to make sure it’s ok. I’ve towed it with my pickup and it is light and light to move around with both kayaks on.
    Max towing for the Spyder is 400lbs and I think tongue weight is 40lbs

Hers 2014 ST
    His 2016 RT Limited
    2016 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michrick View Post
    I built one using a HF HAUL-MASTER 1090 Lb. Capacity 40-1/2 In X 48 In Utility Trailer, I extended the tongue (using a 2”x2”x1/8” 10’ tongue steel, but may change to aluminum) bolted a 1/8” thick maybe smaller diamond plate for floor ( you could leave open I did it for looks and strength), used J cradles to hold the kayaked. One is a Hobie 11’ the other Hobie 13’. I’m going to check the tongue weight soon when the weather breaks in NY. I do know triton sells a trailer that I saw behind a Can Am Spyder RT but I already had this trailer I used to haul our mountain bikes around on behind a Yamaha Venture, Victory Cross Country Tour and then my 2016 Can Am RTL.
    I’m sure the Spyder will be ok but I’m just checking tongue weight to make sure it’s ok. I’ve towed it with my pickup and it is light and light to move around with both kayaks on.
    Max towing for the Spyder is 400lbs and I think tongue weight is 40lbs
    .... they make them for towing behind an Auto ... but that's going to be a bit expensive .... I like michrick's idea .... you can get Canoe cradles like what folks use for an Auto roof rack .... they also make them for bicycles ..... and IMHO you could use a wood 2 X 4 for the tongue extension, trust me it won't come even close to breaking .... for what you are using it to do .....good luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Before getting too excited about the HF trailers check the speed ratings. 48mph is lurking in my mind when talking about the HF trailer.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Also when I did my HF trailer I upgraded the wheel bearings with something after market and grease before towing with a few quick shots. I also repack my wheel bearings every spring so far so good.

Hers 2014 ST
    His 2016 RT Limited
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Been done before think was canoe sorry can’t find pic& link at moment

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I recently sold my Yakima Rack and Roll trailer with 66" bars. It weighs 150 lbs. and can carry 250 lbs. It folds up and takes very little room in the garage. Look for a used one and save a few $$$.

https://yakima.com/products/rackandr...049.1617236772
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have a yakima....trailer...i love it...but how do you make the trailer level..... the hitch tongue ...would have to be near 20 inches...in height...

Spyder Garage

Find some one that can refab the tongue of the trailer to work for your set up! Or if you had a Reese hitch style hook up on your trailer hitch, modify the hitch for the step up to get it level!
    2012 RTL , Pearl