Spyder Garage

Default Bolt size steering column

What is the size bolt for removal on the steering column for the 2020 Spyder RT. I don't have the right size bit and need to know what to get. Want to put a ram ball mount in.

Thanks

Regards,

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Are wanting to remove the column that goes down to the steering hardware, or just the handlebars?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Are wanting to remove the column that goes down to the steering hardware, or just the handlebars?
    Only want to remove one bolt and replace with another bolt with ram ball mount on it.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Only want to remove one bolt and replace with another bolt with ram ball mount on it.
    I think it's 7mm Allen. I'm not in a position to be able to check that right now, so maybe someone else here can verify. Yeah, it is an odd size. Whatever it is, use the correct size, some have rounded the Allen recess with the wrong bit.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

7mm is correct

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I think it's 7mm Allen. I'm not in a position to be able to check that right now, so maybe someone else here can verify. Yeah, it is an odd size. Whatever it is, use the correct size, some have rounded the Allen recess with the wrong bit.
    Thank you.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I won't buy the cheapest socket or allen wrench for this job! They lock tight everything and you can strip the socket head out real easy if not careful..

My Two Cents,
    John
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

Any chance you could post a link for the ram ball mount you are talking about using? I think I'd like to mount my phone on the bar clamp as well.

Spyder Garage

Apply heat to the bolt with a soldering iron. That will soften the thread locker. Use a long wrench handle and apply even pressure - don't jerk back and forth.

Spyder Garage

It is a 7 mm. I just removed 2 of those bolts tonight. I tapped each bolt head firmly before i removed them. I was going to use a 7mm socket, instead i used an allen wrench. Socket did not have a flat bottom. They were tight but i was able to remove with no problems. I then added the Lamonster plate with Ram ball for my Zumo XT. Lamonster bolts are 8 mm. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Any chance you could post a link for the ram ball mount you are talking about using? I think I'd like to mount my phone on the bar clamp as well.
    This is the one I got.

https://store.valueaccessories.net/S...MMountKit.aspx
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the link, that looks perfect for my needs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    What is the size bolt for removal on the steering column for the 2020 Spyder RT. I don't have the right size bit and need to know what to get. Want to put a ram ball mount in.

Thanks

Regards,

Steve
    It is a 7mm Allan head bolt. Most metric sets do NOT include the 7 mm so you will probably have to buy one.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoguzziman View Post
    It is a 7mm Allan head bolt. Most metric sets do NOT include the 7 mm so you will probably have to buy one.
    You answered a question I didn't realize I ask when I ask about what size bolt. I was thinking something like M6 x 16 not the allen wrench size. I'm glad you posted your answer as it caused me to go see if I had a 7mm. None of my allen wrenches had a seven, but I have a set of socket type allen wrenches and it fortunately has a 7. Thanks for posting.