Spyder Garage

Default Real life gas mileage in Colorado?

I recently purchased a 2018 Spyder F3 Limited. I am trying to plan a trip for a little later this year, that involves criss-crossing Colorado. So I need to know realistic gas mileage to plan my gas stops. What should I expect in the mountains with spirited, but no crazy fast, MPG riding one up.

Thx
    Rick
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Too many variables, riding style, load, etc. Fill your machine, set trip odometer to 0, ride till low fuel lite comes on. Check trip odometer, deduct ~10% as a ‘fudge factor’. That’ll be a reasonable expected distance between fuel stops.

Edited for spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2018 Spyder F3 Limited. I am trying to plan a trip for a little later this year, that involves criss-crossing Colorado. So I need to know realistic gas mileage to plan my gas stops. What should I expect in the mountains with spirited, but no crazy fast, MPG riding one up.

Thx
    Rick

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    Too many variables,
    That's why I asked on the Colorado forum. I don't have any terrain that is even close to what I will ride in Colorado, so what I get here is of little meaning for there.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Thx
    Rick
    Have you had the software update where is computes DTE and displays it on the center left side of display in large numbers?
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Not sure as I just picked it up 2 days ago, but I doubt the previous owner did. Do it show automatically or do I need to change a setting? Also since it is out of warranty, I assume there will be a charge for this update.

Thx
    Rick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice set of wheels, I really like the color. Until you learn your machine fill up at 1/4 of a tank. Don't press it trying to find where empty is. AAA RV road/towing assistance is a good investment if you really want to find empty.

Spyder Garage

I am a 'very spirited' rider on a 2020 RT base. I like acceleration & speed. I have not yet been able to reach 30 MPG in the 5000 miles I've logged both locally & multi-state runs.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have owned 7 spyders now. A total of 175,000 miles accumulated. Both flavors of engines. I still check mileage every other tankful or so. That's the old CPA in me.

The 998's (2 cylinder) consistently gave me around 30-32 mpg. The 1330's RT's (three cylinder) 39-40 mpg. The F3 (also 1330/3) give us 40-42 mpg.

As mentioned earlier, yours may vary depending on how you ride. The good thing, your F3 gas tank will take you mostly 225 to 250 miles. We NEVER have emptied a tank or had the fuel fill light come on. I set the trip meter to 0 at each fill up. We usually fill between 125-150 miles...half a tank showing on the gas gauge. In CO, you should not have any issues with gas more than 100 miles apart. Better to ride mostly full than mostly empty. Murphy's Law is out there waiting. Have a great trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The 1330's RT's (three cylinder) 39-40 mpg. The F3 (also 1330/3) give us 40-42 mpg.

As mentioned earlier, yours may vary depending on how you ride.
    WOW! I must have a fuel leak or someone is syphoning gas while I'm rolling!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    WOW! I must have a fuel leak or someone is syphoning gas while I'm rolling!
    My guess is you are not filling the tank all the way. Here is what we do: I fill the gas with the filler tube inside the tank until auto shutoff. Then pull it out and carefully decant more gas until it comes up to the metal circle. Stop, let it go down and refill to the ring a second time. Done. The gas gauge usually says I have 250 or slightly more miles to go before empty. Do it the same way each time, and set the trip meter to zero. This gives you an "approximate" number for calculating mpg. It's never going to be "right on" because there are to many variables. The best sweet spot for shifting (I have found), is 3300 to 3500 rpms. We usually don't use sixth gear until we hit 55 plus miles per hour.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don't worry about the dog bite on the leg when you could be dying from a bullet in the brain. Gas mileage is the dog bite; what you don't see could be the bullet in the brain. Two years ago my touring partner who has a '15 F3 and I did a 5,100+ mile tour of CO from Tar Heel land. With the exception of using interstates to get through Chattanooga and Memphis we were on U.S. highways and back roads plus maybe 20 miles on I-70 in CO. I averaged 38.7 mpg; don't know what my partner averaged because he doesn't track it, but only once on the whole trip did he tell me that he needed to gas up before me, and he still had plenty in his tank when he topped it off. Two gas rules; (1) always top off at the end of the day, and (2) when you get to half a tank begin thinking where you want to gas up. There are plenty of stations and you won't run out if you follow the rules. Rule #2 will also ease the strain on the bladder. When you get to the serious planning stage and want to avoid the brain bullet(s) PM me and I'll give you my guaranteed free money-back opinion(s) on what you should see.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's why I asked on the Colorado forum. I don't have any terrain that is even close to what I will ride in Colorado, so what I get here is of little meaning for there.
    Not the case at all. Your experience in AZ will not be all that different in CO. The single greatest factor in determining MPG is speed. You'll be riding slower in the mountains so that is a positive. Higher altitudes give better mileage. Why, I don't really know. What you lose going up hill you'll regain going downhill. There will be some long stretches between gas stations. Anytime your gas gauge drops below 1/2 tank stop and fill up at the next stations, unless you know for certain there will be another on within 50 miles.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

"Higher altitudes give better mileage. Why, I don't really know. "

Higher altitudes have less oxygen so the fuel mix is leaner than sea level. In the 'old' days, you would need to advance timing and lean fuel mixture a tad when going from lower altitudes to the high country. ECU is your friend!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    "Higher altitudes give better mileage. Why, I don't really know. "

Higher altitudes have less oxygen so the fuel mix is leaner than sea level. In the 'old' days, you would need to advance timing and lean fuel mixture a tad when going from lower altitudes to the high country. ECU is your friend!
    I think the best MPG I ever got with the 2013 RT I had was going over the Continental Divide on I-70 in CO.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yes, higher altitude means better fuel economy at the expense of horsepower. The ECU automatically leans out your fuel usage to accommodate for less oxygen. You will be more than safe planning fuel stops every 200 miles. And taking a butt break in between fuel stops makes for a more pleasant trip. Almost all of Colorado is high in altitude (among other things). You will not be disappointed with your MPG. Enjoy..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Dash display V20.80 and DTE in left display. I was at 10.05 when we bought it the end of Oct. They updated it to 18.xx something and the DTE showed up. I went back to try to get the hyper flash for rear LED turn signals and they must of updated it to 20.80 then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.