Spyder Garage

Default F3 Years produced and Gen info wanted?

Hello,
    Can someone help me out with when the F3 was produced?
    1ST Gen was made from ____ Thru ____
    2nd Gen was made from____ Thru ____
    3rd Gen was made from____ Thru ____
    A buddy of mine is looking to spend about $14-16K on either an RT OR F3 and would like to know what gen. he should be looking at so he can sit on one.

Thanks for your time and help,
    John
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the F3T/L came out in 2016. Not really a gen 1 or 2. There haven't been many changes in the 5 years they've been out. I think (and I've never owned one so someone will correct me if I'm wrong), the 2016 Limited did NOT come with the top case although it could be added. I also think the 1st year of the Limited came with pegs instead of 'boards. Audio/radio was also an option in 2016 and maybe 2017. From 2018 to present, the only change I can think of (other than the color) is the redundant audio controls on the tank. 2018 got the new all digital gauge cluster which added BuRP Connect. (Don't buy a newer model just for the BuRP Connect as it's not ready for prime time.) The gauge cluster has been the same since.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is a list of each year and model Spyder with Spec. for each https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/BRP.htm

F3 from 2015 to 2017 (gen1) 2018 to 2019 (gen 2) 2020 to 2021 (gen 3) each gen change is a dash change and other small changes.
    RT from 2010 to 2012 (gen 1) 2013 (gen 1.5) 2014 to 2019 (Gen 2) 2020 to 2021 (gen 3) Lots of changes in and between different generations dash, engine, frame wheels etc.

The different gens are the way I see it, not anything according to BRP. Many Different models of F3 and RT with different things that make them very different from each other.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 03-30-2021 at 06:53 PM. Reason: add info
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info!

Much appreciated!
    John
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

Sooo if I'm reading things correctly if one sat on any F3 of any year they would feel and look the same....except small details like dash, color, etc. Right now I just want him to sit on a F3 and compare to a 2nd gen RT and see what he likes.

Take care,
    John
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    Sooo if I'm reading things correctly if one sat on any F3 of any year they would feel and look the same....except small details like dash, color, etc. Right now I just want him to sit on a F3 and compare to a 2nd gen RT and see what he likes.

Take care,
    John
    Sort of. The F3, F3S and F3S Special Edition (or whatever it's called) are more bare bones bikes. No fancy gauge cluster, no hard bags, no top case. The F3T has the updated, touring style dash, radio (except as previously mentioned for the 2016) and hard saddlebags but no top case. The F3Limited has everything the F3T has plus heated grips, auto leveling suspension, heated seats and a top case.

Sitting on ANY F3 would feel about the same. The F3 Limited has floorboards (of sorts) and the rest have pegs but the foot position of all F3s can be adjusted in any of (5) different positions. All you need is the correct brake linkage (about 50 bucks, I think).

What are you calling the "2nd gen" RT? I kind of think of the RT having 3 generations. 1st gen was 2010-2013 (2012?) as it had the 998cc V-twin. The 2nd gen would have been the 2014 (2013?)-2019 with the 1330 triple. (The body styles of the 2010-2019 were very similar. Little bit of difference in the front end of the earliest RTs.) The 3rd (and current) gen is the 2020+. Same drivetrain as the previous gen but completely different otherwise.

I had a 2018 RTL (which I loved other than the legroom) and currently have a 2021 RT base model (which I just plain love).

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking for the price range he's looking at $14-16k he's looing at either an 2nd gen RT (2014-2019) ....like mine or same age F3
    just want to have my facts straight when I talk to him.

Thanks for your time and help!
    John
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I think the F3T/L came out in 2016. Not really a gen 1 or 2. There haven't been many changes in the 5 years they've been out. I think (and I've never owned one so someone will correct me if I'm wrong), the 2016 Limited did NOT come with the top case although it could be added. I also think the 1st year of the Limited came with pegs instead of 'boards. Audio/radio was also an option in 2016 and maybe 2017. From 2018 to present, the only change I can think of (other than the color) is the redundant audio controls on the tank. 2018 got the new all digital gauge cluster which added BuRP Connect. (Don't buy a newer model just for the BuRP Connect as it's not ready for prime time.) The gauge cluster has been the same since.
    Just a couple of things to add. Although 2016 F3 Limited did not have the top case, it is the only year of the F3 Limited that got the 89 tooth sprocket. In 2017 the F3 Limited got a top case, but dropped the larger sprocket, instead it got the same one as the RT series. In 2018 the spyder lineup all got a digital dash. But also in 2018 the F3T got the smaller sprocket (in 2016 and 2017 the F3T had the larger sprocket, like the F3S). In 2018 the F3 base model also got the smaller sprocket and was reduced to 105 hp vs the 115 hp that is available for all the 1330 engines. I forgot to mention that in 2017 the Daytona model of the F3S came out with a more forgiving nanny or somewhat of a sport mode. In 2018 the sport mode was on other F3S models. In 2019 the turn signals were taken off the mirrors on all the F3 series bikes, and moved to the fenders only (stupid cost saving move in my opinion). In 2020 the turn signals were removed from the mirrors on all the F3 and new RT bikes. I might be a little off on a couple of things, but most of them are pretty good.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    ......... In 2019 the turn signals were taken off the mirrors on all the F3 series bikes, and moved to the fenders only (stupid cost saving move in my opinion). In 2020 the turn signals were removed from the mirrors on all the F3 and new RT bikes. I might be a little off on a couple of things, but most of them are pretty good.
    I completely agree about the loss of the turn signals on the mirrors. I see it as a safety issue; reducing visibility. Having turn signals higher up in front more easily allows other riders/drivers (especially cagers who tend not to see you) to know your intentions. There are aftermarket solutions to add running and turn signals higher up. Spyderpops and Lamonster Garage offer the Longhorn LED Run/Turn kit for the mirrors. I mounted R&G Aero LED Indicators on my 2020 F3-T, just above the mirrors and below the windshield brackets, on the Upper Fairing, interconnecting them to the front fender lights ��
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2021 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2020 F3-T , ShowChrome Extended Brake Pedal Liquid Titanium/Matte Black