Spyder Garage

Default Loose windshield?

I noticed that the windshield on our 2020 RTL was loose and rattling. When I took the brackets off I found the screws (bolts) were tight but there was a small gap between the screws and the rubber washers. I tightened the screws untill they just contacted the washers and it seems to be fine. My question is if the screws are still tight why was the windshield so loose? And has anybody else had this problem?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    I noticed that the windshield on our 2020 RTL was loose and rattling. When I took the brackets off I found the screws (bolts) were tight but there was a small gap between the screws and the rubber washers. I tightened the screws untill they just contacted the washers and it seems to be fine. My question is if the screws are still tight why was the windshield so loose? And has anybody else had this problem?
    The problem with the windshield is there are lot of moving parts ..... and since those parts have to move to work they have to have clearance between parts. This allows for un-wanted movement. .... On my 2014 I put very thin plastic washers on all those connections and this allowed free movement but a tighter connection ... I have a set of Punches and made the washers from the plastic lids of margarine container ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

One thing I learned on this site is rather than a lowering the windshield all the way, lower it all the way down and then tap the button and raise it about a quarter inch. It makes it more stable that way with fewer rattles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    One thing I learned on this site is rather than a lowering the windshield all the way, lower it all the way down and then tap the button and raise it about a quarter inch. It makes it more stable that way with fewer rattles.
    Yes, fewer rattles and the arm is not resting on the bottom of the assembly which allegedly can contribute to the arm cracking. I learned that from Ann Meyer in late 2014.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Yes, fewer rattles and the arm is not resting on the bottom of the assembly which allegedly can contribute to the arm cracking. I learned that from Ann Meyer in late 2014.
    Well this is an urban Myth .... when I worked on my ARM, I discovered that " in the down position " it didn't Bottom out. It was made NOT TO ..... I posted this over 6 years ago .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well this is an urban Myth .... when I worked on my ARM, I discovered that " in the down position " it didn't Bottom out. It was made NOT TO ..... I posted this over 6 years ago .... Mike
    Interesting, because mine quit rattling when I raised it slightly.