Spyder Garage

Default Windshield vent useless?

I don't see the benefit of a windshield vent on a spyder. It may work on other motorcycles. On the spyder the way the air comes up off the frunk lid under the windshield it just pushes the vented air up the back side of the windshield. I don't get any air on me doesn't matter how fast you go. The faster you go the harder pushes the air up the window. (Obviously)If you're going slow it doesn't push any through. If you put your hand there it's not hard to see exactly where the air is flowing. Waste of money in my opinion plus it's a real pain in the neck to clean around!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

094D9BE2-E2A3-4C54-B0BE-D52CC2A260AC.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    I don't see the benefit of a windshield vent on a spyder. It may work on other motorcycles. On the spyder the way the air comes up off the frunk lid under the windshield it just pushes the vented air up the back side of the windshield. I don't get any air on me doesn't matter how fast you go. The faster you go the harder pushes the air up the window. (Obviously)If you're going slow it doesn't push any through. If you put your hand there it's not hard to see exactly where the air is flowing. Waste of money in my opinion plus it's a real pain in the neck to clean around!
    Try it....you’ll like it!
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I use mine here in Arizona everyday! Works as it should great airflow in hot weather ..Today its 86 deg !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i believe he is talking about a stock windshield and its doing what it is supposed to do

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Get yourself some BAKER AIR WINGS then you can direct all the air you want

Spyder Garage

I'm talking about an F4 customs windshield with a vent in it, the air does not come straight through and hit the driver. It goes up the backside of the window put your hand there and you can feel where the air flows. Have you ever done that?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a f4 and yes the faster you go the less you feel it . Now close it and see how you feel. The vent works. Just on really hot weather not much is going to help when you are sitting on top of a hot engine and the sun baking you to death.

Now I keep mine adjusted all the way up too..But I do feel the vent air , not so much at 75 + mph.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm talking about an F4 customs windshield with a vent in it, the air does not come straight through and hit the driver. It goes up the backside of the window put your hand there and you can feel where the air flows. Have you ever done that?
    Do you currently own an F4CUSTOM windshield with a Goldwing vent on your spyder?
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes I have F4 custom windshield. The vent is whatever F4 installs in their windshields.

Spyder Garage

I can't comment on the 20/21's because of the style change, but it works on the 2019.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Possible air flow improvements

I have a vented windshield ( from BRP)on my 2014 RTS and it works. The air that comes in from the vent fills the low pressure area behind the windshield ( any windshield ) forcing the bubble of still air up and back. Just ask your passenger. This also pushes the turbulence up higher so you don't feel the head shake. No , you don't get a blast of air as though there were no shield at all but there is fresh air coming at the ryder. Maybe a more open faced helmet or adjustment of the vent slats may help. You could also try to temporarily attach a small air dam along the top edge of the vent ---- creating a high pressure zone at the front of the vent. Three possible solutions.

Some aftermarket manufactures may not have the facilities or an understanding of aerodynamics Or some are just to cheap to do it right. I've modified a few ram-air / cold air systems and air boxes for actual power increases and even made helmets breath better. So try and think outside the box--- try my 3 suggestions. No guarantees but I hope one of them will help you out.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I noticed the same thing on our 2014 RT. I purchased small piece of 1/8" poly carbonate and fabricated a "flap to direct the air past the slip stream going up the back side. Will get some pictures later today to share with you.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Yep, the vent works great on my OEM vented windshield.
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tend to share Lew L.'s observations. The only vented windshield I have experienced is my Goldwing. Not a stock windshield, but a Tulsa "Tall". Although the windshield does a wonderful job of directing the air over and around me, there is a vacuum formed behind it, which tends to pull all that re-directed air directly onto a passenger. Open the vent, that vacuum bubble is extended to behind the passenger. The vent is not so much for a direct blast of air as it is to relieve the effects of that vacuum bubble.

You do not mention which Spyder you have. For the '19 and older RTs, the BRP adjustable deflectors (below the mirrors) do a decent job and look a LOT better than Baker Air Wings. I have had Baker Wings on other bikes and agree they do a wonderful job, but their aesthetics do leave a bit to be desired.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Might consider taking some short yarn sections taped to the aft side of the windscreen to actually see the airflow, but most importantly, the true direction the airflow is moving.

Our 2014 RTS Spyder has a F4 windscreen with no vent. We live in South Florida, and it does get hot. Every ride is with full coverage helmets, long pants and jackets, even in the summer.

Years ago, one of the first upgrades was installing the adjustable side deflectors. A short while after that, I did away with the oem left and right mirrors by fabricating mounts for aftermarket mirrors. Both of these mods greatly increased airflow to the rider and passenger.

Spyder Garage

I have an F4 windshield with the vent and regret it every day. I should have not gotten the vent. All it does for me is make it a PITA to clean the vent out. I have been debating on selling mine and getting a new F4 without the vent.

Spyder Garage

15 RT - I have the vent and it greatly reduces the back pressure (on my back) and takes away most of the turbulence on the top of my helmet. W says it helps 'smooth the air' for her, too. JMHO
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timmb View Post
    i don't see the benefit . . .
    nevermind

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my 2015 RT Limited when towing the camper I would get a lot of exhaust smell, it all went away with the vent on windshield open.
    Like others have said, the pasanger gets leff buffeting when the vent is open also.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Which Spyder do you have? If it's an RT the reason, I'm quite sure, that you don't feel much air flow front the vent is because of the air flow around the bike. I have an RT with the F4 tall and wide with vent. The air circles around the bike. In fact my flags on the trunk fly backwards. In rainy weather with the vent closed I get more rain on the backside of the windshield than on the front side. The vent helps balance the air pressure on both sides of the windshield but that is about all. Because of the design of the RT you will not get air to flow past you from the front except with the side air deflectors. The Baker Air Wings help a lot in this regard.

To find out what it would be like without the vent tape it shut tight and go for a ride in the rain. Then ride it with the vent open. You'll see, but maybe not feel, the difference.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I think the stock Spyder windshield sucks. The highs here are in the high 40's and low 50's. That POS windshield directs the air on you and you can't shut it off. It's like riding a snowmobile without a windshield. I have order the touring model windshield with the adjustable vents. $400 because BRP can't put 50 cents worth of vents on a $30,000 machine.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky