Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Taking a break from kitchen reno - replacing the drywall that was damaged during old backsplash removal and Spyder maintenance.

One of my C-19 keep me busy projects last year was a complete paint job of my since sold GL1500 Goldwing. Part of the project was to install 3M Scotchguard paint protection film (PPF) on the parts/pieces that would be in a high traffic area such as boot placement, road crud and such. Never got around to doing this.

My Spyder has the white pearl finish - same as my since sold GL1500 Goldwing, and I notice that everything shows such as boot marks, seat rubbing, and road crud. Thinking that high traffic areas could benefit from an application of PPF, started my first Spyder project this morning doing the right side panel that the seat fits over, see attached. The seat rubs against the finish and over time will wear away the protective clear coat. This is the first time ever that I have used a PPF product. I know where to look, but others don't. Had my neighbour come over to view, gave him the area and asked if he could identify the panel I did. He chose the wrong panel. Good to know that I did a not too bad job. Will do the left side panel this afternoon.

Had to use a heat gun, water/Johnson baby shampoo mixture, the squeegee from the PPF package and a good dose of patience. The PPF is 12" by 10' so lots to use, but the 18" wide PPF would be better. This PPF is removable and if needs be, can be replaced at a later date.

Intend to do the front cowling and various other bits to protect the finish. Would like to protect and keep the paint job nice, painting a white pearl colour is a major project - BTDT. Should get better at applying PPF as I progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest